TEAM SHELBY FORUM

How STIFF are your leather seats?

My car has 44K miles on it so I don't expect perfect interior - However, the seats on my car have a really nice appearance - nearly new! The issue I have is that the leather is very stiff - the inner bolster areas are the worse. Feels like thin cardboard. I'm thinking that at one point between Hertz, the Ford Dealership, and finally to me that somebody along the way "freshened up" the car's interior to prepare for a sale. They may have used an interior leather dye product to refresh the seats - that may have caused the leather to get stiff??

I've thoroughly cleaned the leather (I realize only the front seating portions are leather) with lexol cleaner and have done two applications within a few days of the Lexol conditioner. It looks good, but the leather is still stiff - much stiffer than the surrounding vinyl. I have heard that the Mustang leather is really crappy, but is this normal??? Am I wasting my time and money chasing down products that can return my leather to the suppleness leather is supposed to be?

I use Adam's products and I am very happy with the results in my GT500. The GT-H was not well taken care of and the seats were dry from lack of care. No amount of conditioner will save these. The bolsters in my car are also worn as the shape is more of a "squashed" inward look on the driver seat. I ordered the Gary Disney Interior in the GT-H colors and will post photos once in the car. I have a tired GT-H that I will have looking good over the next couple of years. It has too many miles and I really don't care because I want to drive it to shows, cruise ins, or just around town without worrying that I could be "killing" my investment in it. I hate to say it, but you may need to purchase new covers and foam to get it how you want it. As fabulous as your car looks, this would likely be the best route for it. Here is a photo of a GT-H coupe with the Tan and Black interior here from Gary.

http://designerautoaccessories.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/hertz-interior.jpg

I gotta say that my seats look very nice - certainly not as bad as I would expect from rental duty with 20K miles, and my car already has much more than that at 44K miles. I think there is what appears to be am ash repair on the center of the front edge, and there are a couple ash burns on the carpet in front of this area, but I think my seats have been "repaired" and recoated to make them look as good as they do. I would not recover them since they do have a nice appearance. I'm just trying to figure out what these interior seats may have felt like when they were NEW, so I can have some realistic expectations from what I can achieve with my efforts to make them softer.

Maybe you could put in new foam and keep the current covers. If you haven't replaced the covers on the front seats in the S197's, it is actually really easy. Just need hog ring pliers and a little time. I wish I knew if these were the same as a new one today. I can tell you the standard seats in my GT500 are 100 times more comfortable than those in my GT-H. I figured these were just that worn from rental duty and private ownership. I put in new factory carpet this past weekend in preparation for the new seat covers.

The GT500 seats are different from the GT seats. More/different bolstering and such....The Bullitt also used the GT500 style seats. If I could find a set of the Bullitt seats in good shape, I would install them in the Hertz to maintain a stock appearance.

These look like they are in pretty good shape. You could lift off one side of one of the covers and see if there is dye under there, then you could confirm if they were touched up for a sale.

• 1 month later...

My car has 44K miles on it so I don't expect perfect interior - However, the seats on my car have a really nice appearance - nearly new! The issue I have is that the leather is very stiff - the inner bolster areas are the worse. Feels like thin cardboard. I'm thinking that at one point between Hertz, the Ford Dealership, and finally to me that somebody along the way "freshened up" the car's interior to prepare for a sale. They may have used an interior leather dye product to refresh the seats - that may have caused the leather to get stiff??

I've thoroughly cleaned the leather (I realize only the front seating portions are leather) with lexol cleaner and have done two applications within a few days of the Lexol conditioner. It looks good, but the leather is still stiff - much stiffer than the surrounding vinyl. I have heard that the Mustang leather is really crappy, but is this normal??? Am I wasting my time and money chasing down products that can return my leather to the suppleness leather is supposed to be?

Troy,

My car is exactly the same, seats looks fantastic, but the leather is very hard, and the seats offer no forgiveness and are quite uncomfrtable, especially for my surgically repaired back

...now, if I put Recaros in the KR, I could put the KR seats in the GTH....

Archived