TEAM SHELBY FORUM

351C Vs 351W

shelbyeuropa

The smaller 2.75" main Crank Journals is Better for PERFORMACNE????? Where did you get your education of engine performance!!!!! One of the problem with the 351C was the Main Crank which was redesign on the M’s back to 3.00”s. Second problem was the oiling system…….

The Boss 351 is a good engine I don’t disagree not the best.

427Cobra, 427SOHC, Boss 429, 428SCJ…..etc......Only the SOHC had less than 2K produce.... ha..the BOSS351 is another…

All these engine ran in the 13’s I will also admit that each of these engines had it’s own problems but that I leave maybe in a different Topic.

The Boss 351 was never race in Nascar? Or NHRA? Or TransAm? What about SAAC?

Please leave my SERVICE out from your comment I am proud of the years I serve in the U.S.A.F.

As stated by Patton "....We can learn from the past to predict the present... " The computer CPU would not be what it is without the intro of the Transistor in 1947 and the 1971 Intel 4004. As an engineer developing new technology I have to know the past and strive for the future.

Same as back in 1980's I had argue with my Twin about TURBO's and that Turbo will be the way for power and saving Fuel consumption. The 4Valve DOHC 2000's engines is not new FORD (Like GM and Chrysler) is behind technology. Honda Develop the VTEC in 1983 and VVT-i/VVTL-i from Toyota in 1996. The present is Turbos and ECU Programing.

The comment on your service was a joke, lighten up, I retired from the USAF

Cleveland cranks were never a problem, I learned from running them on dirt tracks when there were no other parts available like there are today. The oiling systen needed tweeks but they were not a big thing, mainly restrictors in certain areas.

"Restrictor plates and special carburetors weren't going over very well, but Bill Frances noticed how competitive Bud Moores #15 Torino was, powered by a 366 (and later 358) cubic inch Ford. The only way in which #15 wasn't competitive with the other cars was top speed, this was perfect in the mind of Bill Frances. So Bill Frances limited displacement for the 1975 season to 358 cubic inches and did away with restrictor plates rules and special carburetors. All teams ran 358 cubic inches from 1975 and onward. Buddy Baker won 4 races in #15 during the 1975 season!

To level the playing field (bring everyone down to Chevy's level) Bill Frances placed restrictions on cylinder head modification by the Ford teams. That meant NO high port exhaust plate modifications. All Ford competitors ran iron head 351 Clevelands up to about the 1982 season when the alloy SVO heads hit the scene (Ford got serious about racing again about 1980). Ford teams continued to race 358 Clevelands with canted valve aluminum heads through 1983, then they raced 358 SVO motors (Windsor based blocks) with canted valve aluminum heads through 1992. The Yates C3 heads were introduced for the 1993 season (featuring combustion chambers developed by Harry Weslake in the 1960s). "

I used a cleavor because the track operator outlawed the Cleveland, something about the Chevy ability to compete. It cost me much more after that. Which engine was Fords best, thats always debateable and a matter of opinion.The clevor had advantages as it tried to adress the weakness of both motors.

Lastly, at no time did I mean any disrespect towards you and I am a bit surprised you took it that way.

Its been one of those weeks, I just got back to CALIF. USA and everything just went to Hell so Back to Asia. I apologize for any miss-understanding on my part and I have removed my Negative comments earlier. I miss-read and took the "Booooo" Please accept my apology.

You are correct a Modify 351C was used in NASCAR from 1971 and For some reason I just remember the 351W with Cleveland heads.

Its been one of those weeks, I just got back to CALIF. USA and everything just went to Hell so Back to Asia. I apologize for any miss-understanding on my part and I have removed my Negative comments earlier. I miss-read and took the "Booooo" Please accept my apology.

You are correct a Modify 351C was used in NASCAR from 1971 and For some reason I just remember the 351W with Cleveland heads.

No problem my friend. We all have those days

In 1971 to 1974? Ford used what is known as the 366 Block XE and SK numbers which was able to be bored to 4.080" Only 500? of both was made. Then in 1974 Engine size was reduce to 358 to Present. I believe the change was in 1992 when the Windsor blocks replaced the Cleveland Blocks. Not sure about the Australia Blocks and Heads were ever used?

http://www.351c.net/parts/cleveland-parts-catalog/engine-blocks/ford-xe-blocks-aka-nascar-blocks/

http://www.351c.net/parts/cleveland-parts-catalog/engine-blocks/chdecats-xe-192540-block/

Archived