TEAM SHELBY FORUM

For those of you that buy gold coins from the US Mint, have the coins always been 91.6 % gold? I have been buying silver bars for years and the mint silver products are 99.9 % pure silver. I thought I would look at the gold coins today and I see that they are asking for a $500.00 markup over the spot price of 1 ounce and the purity is only 91.6% gold, 3% silver and the balance is copper.

The Canadian Maple Leafs seem to still be 99.9 gold. I get the feeling that the US Mint is ripping us off. Say it ain't so.

For those of you that buy gold coins from the US Mint, have the coins always been 91.6 % gold? I have been buying silver bars for years and the mint silver products are 99.9 % pure silver. I thought I would look at the gold coins today and I see that they are asking for a $500.00 markup over the spot price of 1 ounce and the purity is only 91.6% gold, 3% silver and the balance is copper.

The Canadian Maple Leafs seem to still be 99.9 gold. I get the feeling that the US Mint is ripping us off. Say it ain't so.

Go to Wikipedia.org and search for American Gold Eagle. If I'm reading correctly, they've been 91.6, or 22 karat, for a long time. In fact, at one time they were a little less.

Buyer beware, as always.

The mint is ripping anyone off. While the gold content is not as pure in the eagles, it still contains one ounce of gold!!!!!!!!!! Gold weight is measured in troy ounces not regular ounces (avoirdupois).

The buffaloes are more pure than the eagles, but they both contain one troy ounce of gold. Eagles weigh more than one ounce buffalo gold coins.

Gold Eagle weight = 1.09714286 troy ounces

Gold Buffalo weight = 1 troy ounce

A one troy ounce gold eagle contains 2.75 grams more gold than a regular ounce (avoirdupois).

Has anyone been able to buy any physical silver lately for anything close to current commodity price? Only physical silver seems to be around $31-35+ oz. Market is $23. market drives me crazy. Absolutely no reason Silver should not be at least $50 oz. It's in short supply, it's an actual used commodity in electronics, solar, and other items which cannot be reclaimed. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to grasp the silver market. The price is being driven down, but only on paper. You cannot actually buy phisical near market price, if you can, it's in very short supply and you'll be waiting............ :banghead:

Has anyone been able to buy any physical silver lately for anything close to current commodity price? Only physical silver seems to be around $31-35+ oz. Market is $23. market drives me crazy. Absolutely no reason Silver should not be at least $50 oz. It's in short supply, it's an actual used commodity in electronics, solar, and other items which cannot be reclaimed. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to grasp the silver market. The price is being driven down, but only on paper. You cannot actually buy phisical near market price, if you can, it's in very short supply and you'll be waiting............ :banghead:

I just started buying precious metals last year and made several silver purchases through Apmex... they always are within a couple dollars of market price for their branded bars. As an example, they currently have 10 oz bars for $27/oz with available stocking. I am of the same opinion about the current pricing and plan to continue building my stash while the prices stay in the current range.

Archived