TEAM SHELBY FORUM

new 3M protection product

Torched10

I've seen the commercials as well and wondered about its effectiveness. Personally, I'm Leary of any product claiming to be a long term protectant. I've seen too many clear films lift and allow dirt to be trapped underneath, no matter how well it was applied. I've also seen paint that is sun/UV damaged and when the film is removed there is a clear line along the paint. I've also seen/felt a ridge in the paint that can only be corrected through wet sanding/buffing.

This stuff would be great short term; track days, long road trips. But I would not use any product long term.

• 2 months later...

saw an add for this on top gear last night--it showed it being peeled off in a clear sheet as they said "and it can be removed" easily

Biggest tip I can give you is to spray heavy instead of light. If you don't get enough coating on your car it is difficult to remove.

You have time to keep spraying light covered areas without creating runs. Good luck

• 4 weeks later...

Got my front bumper done yesterday.

Took me about an hour to do.

null-4.jpg

null-5.jpg

null-6.jpg

After

Hard to see but the color is a little bit off and there are a couple of runs/sags and I touched the paint before it was dry which caused a smudge.

null-8.jpg

null-7.jpg

I used the whole can and it turned out pretty good.

You used the whole can just for the fascia and grill surround??? No leading edge of the hood or fenders at all? I got a kit in the spring and still have not brought myself to use it on my black car.

Yup I used the whole can just to make sure that it would be thick enough to pull off easily if I didn't like the look of it.

Yup I used the whole can just to make sure that it would be thick enough to pull off easily if I didn't like the look of it.

I used nearly the entire can also but went to the heat extractor on my hood and down across the front fender.

I'm hoping it comes off easy but it has already saved me several hard hits from some sort of debris and that's worth the 40 bucks and 4 hours to me.

I used nearly the entire can also but went to the heat extractor on my hood and down across the front fender.

I'm hoping it comes off easy but it has already saved me several hard hits from some sort of debris and that's worth the 40 bucks and 4 hours to me.

Did you spray it over the stripes or mask the stripes off before you sprayed? If you didn't mask them off, please let us know if it has any effect on the stripes and comes off the stripes easily.

Did you spray it over the stripes or mask the stripes off before you sprayed? If you didn't mask them off, please let us know if it has any effect on the stripes and comes off the stripes easily.

I didn't spray the stripes mustangman, taped over them.

Archived