TEAM SHELBY FORUM

converting a 12 to an automatic???

blk12svt

I know this is blasphemy pure and simple but just wondered if anyone has converted their car to an automatic or knew if it was feasible or cost prohibitive for the everyday person? I have a new 14 on order and about the only way I might convince my wife to let me keep the 12 is if I would have an auto put in for her. Unfortunately, she just never did warm up to shifting as I had thought she might. I thought I remember reading somewhere that Carroll Shelby's personal car had been converted, but at what cost... Thanks

My tuner has done an auto conversion, for a guy who intended to race it. ( 2008 or 2009 MY )

At the time it was done, there were no kits, so everything was fabbed in shop, am sure it cost serious $$$$$. ( may be a conversion kit now ) Good luck !!

Thanks to all for the feedback. I know it's a lame idea but just grasping at straws looking for a way to keep the 12. Sure like to save it and maybe do a Super Snake with it someday but unless a Cobra Jet sells I'm afraid it will have to go. That paddle shifter would have been great. Can't understand why an auto couldn't be an option. Looks like they lose a lot of potential sales as a result but maybe they don't want to sell more...

my wifes car has a paddle shifter in it--vette--best of both worlds--now if the GT500 had that we'd be selling my 10 right now

Same here! If i could get a paddle shifter auto in a gt500 i'd sell my 11 in a heartbeat!

Ford Racing has an automatic in the cobra jet drag racer (not sure if they sell the tranny separately, anything can be acquire for enough money) and you can always go the Lenco route but be prepared for sticker shock.

But if it keeps the wife happy (and you can keep the Snake), how does the credit card commercial end? "Priceless!" ;)

Archived