TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Oil Separator NOW IN STOCK!

Jer

Thinking I'm going to order the satin kit pretty soon. Just a word of warning for those of you who order the black anodized. They have a strong possibility of discoloring after a little use. For those who had the reservoirs that were black anodized should know what I'm talking about. I heard it was due to the heat that they will discolor. They will get like a bronzish or purplish color to them.

007-3.jpg

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They could have. I haven't heard if they have or not but I really do hope so. I have heard it is a problem with not being anodized correctly and have also heard that they will discolor because of the heat. I'm just looking out for other team members so they are not disappointed with the anodizing. I ended up taking off the black reservoirs and going with the aluminum ones instead.

In reading through the product notes, it would appear the only way to get the mounting bracket is to order the universal kit... correct? If so, when will that kit be available?

Also, what are the can dimensions?

Thanks!

That kit is available, so is the GT500 passenger side - the website has just been acting up a bit. If in doubt, call in your order. I'm digging in to get the site fixed, sorry for the trouble.

Size: I'll go measure one right now for you, stay tuned.

Jer

That kit is available, so is the GT500 passenger side - the website has just been acting up a bit. If in doubt, call in your order. I'm digging in to get the site fixed, sorry for the trouble.

Size: I'll go measure one right now for you, stay tuned.

Jer

3 1/4 tall X 1 7/8 diameter.

Jer

They could have. I haven't heard if they have or not but I really do hope so. I have heard it is a problem with not being anodized correctly and have also heard that they will discolor because of the heat. I'm just looking out for other team members so they are not disappointed with the anodizing. I ended up taking off the black reservoirs and going with the aluminum ones instead.

Me too cause I just ordered the black one.

The two oil separators I ordered arrived today.

Very well made made. Heavier and larger than I thought they would be.

They also "look " better than I thought they would.

The plastic tube inserts, 2 each, came in a separate wrap and are then assembled by the user to complete the unit.

2 hose clamps per also included.

No instructions included, however, but I can download the PDF here on the forum.

The plastic tube inserts, 2 each, came in a separate wrap and are then assembled by the user to complete the unit.

No instructions included, however, but I can download the PDF here on the forum.

Sounds good now we just need pictures :rockon:

The circular white polymer "open drum" thingie is inserted into the aluminum body, then an O ring spacer, then the micro screen, then another O ring, then the macro screen.

Then screw the top on.

I bought 2 black ones - 1 - 180 and 1 - 90 ( surprised that the 90 did not come with the bracket ) and an even BIGGER surprise when I opened them up to see that while the 90 had 2 o-rings , 2 screens , and a white plastic sleeve the 180 unit HAS NOTHING INSIDE - THE UNIT IS EMPTY!!!!!

I bought 2 black ones - 1 - 180 and 1 - 90 ( surprised that the 90 did not come with the bracket ) and an even BIGGER surprise when I opened them up to see that while the 90 had 2 o-rings , 2 screens , and a white plastic sleeve the 180 unit HAS NOTHING INSIDE - THE UNIT IS EMPTY!!!!!

Wonder what happen there

Id be interested to know how much oil vapor passes thru the 2 screens back into the engine. Seems like those 2 screens wouldnt have very high efficiency.

The JLT one isnt much better, even after filling the catch can with steel wool.

It is a matter of balance/tradeoff between air flow and scavenging efficiency with those units from what I understand.

Jer and others involved in the separator development should be able to confirm that.

They should work well on an old school vehicle, as even vehicles from the early 60s had pcv valves.

My best guess is though it would have a greater effect on supercharged vehicles, due to increased crankcase pressures resulting from ring blow by.

Back in the early 80s I ran a system on my nitrous injected small block chevy called vacupan, which offered a alternate solution by venting the crankcase directly into fittings mounted into the header collectors.

That way any oil mist/particles got burned off in the collectors, and didn't have to go anywhere near the intake track.

That system did work fairly well when setup properly, but was probably not efficient enough to meet todays emission standards.

It definitely worked better than open breathers on the valve covers, which would inevitably "spray" oil vapour into the engine compartment under hard use.

Because the price of the separators are not outrageous and they are cool looking and well made pieces, I would definitely try one on my old school motor if I still had one.

If you are willing to run 2 of them, you could also experiment with finer filter media, and not have to worry as much about overly restricting air flow.

Just make sure the media you do try has no chance of coming apart and getting into the intake system, that could be disasterous.

We clearly state on the Item page, that pictured accessories do NOT come with the units. As for the empty one, my apologies, we'll take care of that for you today. Jer

Wonder what happen there

We put them up on the site for sale ASAP since everyone was so frantic to get them. We did not get to implement the assembly system the way I wanted it to be. In the future, no pix will be posted, no product discussed, no news whatsoever until I am happy with the product AND the pre-assembly / fulfillment process. You are all gradually getting to see why I do things a certain way. Minimizes hassles, provides a greater customer experience overall. Jer

It is a matter of balance/tradeoff between air flow and scavenging efficiency with those units from what I understand.

Jer and others involved in the separator development should be able to confirm that.

Exactly. And I think people will be surprised at the amount of oil they catch.` Our screens have a fairly large surface area, utilize the surrounding air (beneath and between the screens) and they are passed through TWICE, and in that way differ from some of our well-known competitors, all while keeping vacuum / pressure differences negligible. Jer

Hey - it happens - believe me when I say that no matter what " I"m the one who seems to find the bone in a KFC boneless chicken " and yes I probably missed the note on the description because I was too busy looking at the pics .I am more than happy with the product that you have put out , the care in it's packaging , and the speed at which I received it . I just bring it up so people look inside their O/S to check . I think that you're doing a great job Jer ! I will switch to decaf .

Thinking I'm going to order the satin kit pretty soon. Just a word of warning for those of you who order the black anodized. They have a strong possibility of discoloring after a little use. For those who had the reservoirs that were black anodized should know what I'm talking about. I heard it was due to the heat that they will discolor. They will get like a bronzish or purplish color to them.

Just an FYI, we have not had issues with our anodize facility we have been using for over two years now having any discoloration issues. They do very good work for us. The issue is normally tied to incorrect sealing of the pigment / dye during the final steps of finishing. The facility that now does our work has over 10k sq/ft of tanks and racking and anodizing is all they do - no chrome, no powdercoat, just anodize. So I would feel comfortable with putting the black under the hood without issue. I don't know who did the tanks in your photos, but I've seen that type of discoloration before, and believe it or not, heat didn't cause it... those pieces would have turned color if you just left them in the garage just as easily - it is more of an oxidation reaction.

I would like to make it clear that the fittings included are NOT plastic. We machine those from 6061 T-6 round bar on the same live-turning center that the separator is machined on. We are well aware of the plastic fitting issues, and would not put them on a product such as this since they support the separator. If you want to prove it to yourself, hit the edge of one with a file - underneath the black anodizing is aircraft alloy :) . We made them black so that they would look more "stock" in appearance, especially when mated to a black separator, than if you had black hose - silver fitting - black separator.

Also, regarding the way in which the separator works - it is an airspeed / pressure differential that causes the oil to drop out of suspension, as we have modeled in our software during the design phase. We have a nice video of the flow models showing this, but they are too big to post. Instead, I'll just give you the "end result" for the moment until I can do a screen shot of the video for you, on our own car (supercharged 2010 V6) - this is about 1000 miles of mixed driving.

Finally - on the universal nature of the kit... basically if the car uses a PCV system to recirculate crankcase ventilation, like most cars since ~1970, this will be of benefit in keeping oil out of the top end of the cylinders and intake. While we manufacture a few different size fittings for the different OE late-model PCV hoses, any NPT fitting can be used from a local hardware store if you are going for an application that the fittings do not size up with as the head of the separator is machined for a standard NPT thread.

post-40531-0-10594500-1367852588_thumb.jpg

post-40531-0-10594500-1367852588_thumb.jpg

Taken right off of the store site description for the separator "All fittings are metal for secure mounting and durability. No plastic threads to strip or break!"

It was one of the first things that I noticed when I read through it, and was happy to see.

Thanks for the update on the construction guys, looks like you really did your homework on developing them.

I can't wait to get one on my car, and am glad that I waited for yours to come out.

Btw, I have also seen that discoloration before, but in some vintage audio components.

They developed a purplish hue to the black, and they were only subjected to room temperature or slightly above.

Taken right off of the store site description for the separator "All fittings are metal for secure mounting and durability. No plastic threads to strip or break!"

It was one of the first things that I noticed when I read through it, and was happy to see.

Thanks for the update on the construction guys, looks like you really did your homework on developing them.

I can't wait to get one on my car, and am glad that I waited for yours to come out.

Btw, I have also seen that discoloration before, but in some vintage audio components.

They developed a purplish hue to the black, and they were only subjected to room temperature or slightly above.

Funny... I've got a few old API 550s that look like that. And a Roland SDE1000, too... LOL... As for anodizing discoloring, see Marcello's post above. And, BTW, the red unit he shows is BEFORE Shelby added internal screening. Expect to catch oil, for sure! Jer

Archived