TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Oil Separator NOW IN STOCK!

Jer

Hmmm.... Strange. I just walked over to the warehouse, and all of those are correct. Give me a ring if you get a moment - 702-405-3500. Jer

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the phone call. Replacement is on the way... Jer

Thanks, Jeff!!!!!

Jer

Yup,

Bob's and JLT beat the Shelby copy. The JLT was twice as good as the Shelby unit ;)

Bob's works great and were testing a new filter that so far works twice as good as the one we use now.

The best part is the one part they changed, where my filter goes, made it so they can't do anything about it. It's too odd shaped to add a filter now.

So, was it worth copying a product and not using a filter? Nope! LOL

I actually modified my jlt to work very similar to the bob's unit. Now I have the best of both worlds. I have the OEM look of the jlt and a comparable function to the bob's

I actually modified my jlt to work very similar to the bob's unit. Now I have the best of both worlds. I have the OEM look of the jlt and a comparable function to the bob's

I've seen the difference in filtration on the Shelby vs. JLT units but I have yet to see what Bob's uses.

Does anyone have pics of the "filter" in a Bob's can?

Or is there one?

Phill

I dont think I want to look for it in Bob's can.... :hysterical:

Just look, don't touch!

Phill

bob's contains, from pictures i've seen, what looks like the stainless steel pot scrubber you buy at the store.

the heavy duty type. not scotch brite but the stainless steel wound "string" that looks just like a long stringy chip off a lathe thats been all balled up

plus i pressed in a piece of 3/8 brake tubing it the inlet hole on the top that extends down into the catch can about a quarter inch from the bottom

what it does is essenstially forces the oil vapor to the bottom of the can then makes the vapor rise through the stainless media causing the oil to cling to the stainless and lastly through the filter that the jlt comes with

it seems to be very effective, i've caught approximately twice the oil in the last 100 miles as i did all last season

i actually got the idea from another member here in a thread about modifying/building an oil separator

PS. my car is an n/a SGT

Looks like something you would find on the floor ( does Ironman do manscaping ? ) :hysterical2: I just don't feel safe if some of that got sucked into my motor. JMO

P.S. - The mod of having an extension tube down past the screen does work well - hey no copying me on that now ! :hysterical2:

I just don't feel safe if some of that got sucked into my motor. JMO

Which is why we didn't incorporate that into our design.

Jer

Two threads about this. I became interested in this and am looking at what everyone's saying. What seems to be the thing that's being overlooked, the reason that the bias'ed (maybe faked?) video proves crap, is that the Shelby mechanism is different. The alkyl gases being recaptured is obviously linked to the retention rate right? So, your saying that the more its bottled up and stuck, the more it can be recaptured. New flash, this is wrong!

The Shelby mechanism seems to encourage pulling through faster because, if noone mentioned it, a few hundred degrees C are in between the boiling point of water and petroleum mixtures ie oil. So, retaining this is going to purposely full-fill recapturing the fumes and keeping it going just fine. Or is it possible that the heat will just build up rather than getting the water out and allow the oil to denature and bond with free floating polar water molecules, rather then let the air out and keep the oil in check which their densities will allow them to do. I was not biased into thinking Shelby could never have copied this design, I was worried that they might have. I look, search, and apply years of chemistry. No, the Shelby one was not outperformed (i didn't say it beat the other two). I am saying, how is denaturing trapped oil possibly going to work?

Testing this wouldn't be possible without long term use, precise environmental conditions, and a gas chromatograph so good luck on that. But claiming the Shelby product doesn't work is an outright uneducated lie.

Sorry to fuel the fire on this thread but now that I've had time to analyze this, I'm sick of hearing "you copied us yours doesn't work" ignorant, uneducated, wrong.

Looks like something you would find on the floor ( does Ironman do manscaping ? ) :hysterical2: I just don't feel safe if some of that got sucked into my motor. JMO

P.S. - The mod of having an extension tube down past the screen does work well - hey no copying me on that now ! :hysterical2:

Copy! HaHaha! I would've given you the credit if I could've remembered where I got the idea!

Ps. I'm not worried about the stainless getting drawn into the engine because I left the stock jlt mesh filter in place

So for the record, I got the idea from albino500!

Well, now that I have a Shelby unit in hand I can see where you got ALL your dementions, LOL

Wow, you guys should be so proud of your work.

BTW, another test video coming soon.

481601_10151506267707155_435908909_n.jpg

481848_10151506267702155_990369594_n.jpg

943424_10151506267712155_1668954872_n.jpg

309899_10151506267762155_1361217357_n.jpg

You both should really be ashamed of yourselves, really.

It measures EXACTLY the same as the JLT unit.

Tucker, Why don't you open them up and show the internals. Let everyone see the real difference. What you are showing is like a can of Coke and a can of Dr. Pepper. Same size can but different on what is inside. Give it a break I have had both in my hands too.Yours has a different filter,Essentially coase steel wool, versus two screens and different machine work on the interior of the Shelby unit.

Well, now that I have a Shelby unit in hand I can see where you got ALL your dementions, LOL

943424_10151506267712155_1668954872_n.jpg

309899_10151506267762155_1361217357_n.jpg

Well? Is your hand broken? Can't open them up? We all know your mouth is working overtime.

LOL,

so it's OK for them to copy the exterior? Wow, that's good to know.

The GOOD thing is the inside is different and with no filter oil is coming right out of it, ask me how I know. LOL

Keep loving on the big guy who has no good ideas, it's ok, ;)

Tucker, Why don't you open them up and show the internals. Let everyone see the real difference. What you are showing is like a can of Coke and a can of Dr. Pepper. Same size can but different on what is inside. Give it a break I have had both in my hands too.Yours has a different filter,Essentially coase steel wool, versus two screens and different machine work on the interior of the Shelby unit.

I'm not sure where you guys keep coming up with steel wool, because that's nothing like what we use, sorry.

Our filter was designed by Ford :)

Designed by Ford? They are asking for an 'Eddie' to occur. But that's nice to know: the only thing you designed was the outside. No wonder that's why your so mad, that is all you have.

This is pathetic. Your so immature it's not funny. I suggest everyone ignore this guy and stop posting responses to him. His video is BS, his logic is BS, and he is a baby.

You know what Helix, I think I'm done with this clown. He obviously does not know what the inside of his product looks like so he has no credibility as far as I'm concerned. It is time to move on. Like installing my oil separator LOL.

• 1 year later...

looks like this thread is over a year old, but I'll give it a try. Guy at SPP sold me the 90 degree oil separator with the universal kit. I have a '07 Shelby GT (nbr 1513). Install will be on the driver side before the PVC. Looking for a suggestion on where to mount the supplied bracket at please? I have the Shelby strut tower brace, so that spot is out. I also have the original cold air setup as it came from Shelby. While we're on it, does it make any difference if the can is lower than the PVC valve itself? The sales guy took my info and called me back with this configuration. He said he had asked a couple of tech guys, presuming someone at Shelby, this best combo for me and came back with this.

No supercharger...I wanted to go ahead and install it though. It's just a matter of finding a place under the hood to mount the unit. SPP sold me one with the 90 degree angle and the universal kit. I got it earlier this week and trying to keep from having to go through an exchange with SPP (never much fun) to get a 180 degree can. Any one got photos of where they would have installed this on the driver side?

looks like this thread is over a year old, but I'll give it a try. Guy at SPP sold me the 90 degree oil separator with the universal kit. I have a '07 Shelby GT (nbr 1513). Install will be on the driver side before the PVC. Looking for a suggestion on where to mount the supplied bracket at please? I have the Shelby strut tower brace, so that spot is out. I also have the original cold air setup as it came from Shelby. While we're on it, does it make any difference if the can is lower than the PVC valve itself? The sales guy took my info and called me back with this configuration. He said he had asked a couple of tech guys, presuming someone at Shelby, this best combo for me and came back with this.

....are you running a supercharger?? Because the oil catch system is not typically needed on a non-blown engine. But if you really want to install it, it is fine to put it below the pvc valve system. I am actually running the JLT system because it really is a great system, but have a little bit of an issue with my strut tower brace. If I decide to deal with it I will just order a new line system (or cut up the old one) and off set how the hoses fit. There is nothing magic about how the hoses run to these things as long as you do not make it extremely long.

943424_10151506267712155_1668954872_n.jp

309899_10151506267762155_1361217357_n.jp

Didn't you figure out a long time ago that no one gives a rats a**?

P.S. You only need one. The other one is there to look pretty. I use the word "need" loosely. if they were really needed they would have come from the factory. In bartender school they teach you to say "do you want another cocktail", but never say "do you need another cocktail". Noone needs one of these. Really.

Archived