TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Is Shelby Ever Going To Race??

A10ACN

The company(ies) now known generically as Shelby (past and present) were built on the reputation of Carroll Shelby's racing exploits, particularly as a builder/team owner. With all of the publicity today's Shelby constantly garners from extreme street car builds, I would think that they would at least sponsor a team in one of the series, especially now that the Mustangs are fully developed in various competitions. Roush comes to mind, though that is not a fair comparison. I am overjoyed to see Ford, but particularly Mustangs engaged in road course battles again. I always feel that something is missing without a Shelby car on the field, though. The renewed interest in road racing is ripe for Shelby to build its racing pedigree with cars built today.

Racing improves the breed. Race on Sunday, sell on Monday.

Shelby sponsored the NASCAR Las Vegas race a couple of years ago, as well as a NASCAR Nationwide Car during last years Indianapolis race (which got wrecked by Danica Patrick right in front of me).

I'd really like to see Shelby get involved in the Continental Tire Series GS class more than anywhere else. Those cars most remind me of the vintage trans-am days. It would be awesome to see a car with Shelby stripes out there.

There are several of us that do race. So for now we represent the brand. None of us are at the GS (read very expensive) level though. I agree, Shelby should be racing, we have been saying that for years

From the folks I've spoken to with Shelby indicated that the 'cost of entry' keeps them from racing. I was given the impression that the Nascar sponsored race really hurt Shelby financially.

I too believe that Shelby should be in some form of Racing; even if it’s just the few grand it cost to have the name on a fender. There are plenty of dedicated racers in American Iron that would love to carry the Shelby name.

Where I think Shelby's dollars would be best spent would be in Drifting, Rally Cross, and other newer forms of Autosport. This is where the younger buyers are spending their entertainment dollars in the autosport world.

From the folks I've spoken to with Shelby indicated that the 'cost on entry' keeps them from racing. I was given the impression that the Nascar sponsored race really hurt Shelby financially.

I too believe that Shelby should be in some form of Racing; even if it’s just the few grand it cost to have the name on a fender. There are plenty of dedicated racers in American Iron that would love to carry the Shelby name.

Where I think Shelby's dollars would be best spent would be in Drifting, Rally Cross, and other newer forms of Autosport. This is where the younger buyers are spending their entertainment dollars in the autosport world.

I had heard the same thing directly from Gary Patterson last year when Carroll was still alive about

cost of entry for such a small company. Didn't quite buy into that as there are different levels of entry,

but I hadn't heard about the drain from NASCAR. Now it makes more sense. That wasn't the best decision

for sure.

I agree completely with you that the cheaper alternatives of sponsorship in the smaller racing venues would

have been great and probably more effective. Contingency awards for racers driving Shelbys or using

Shelby parts is a good way to get the Shelby name visible at events and enhance the reputation.

-Tom

When Shel raced before he was a Factory team, meaning he was sponsored by Ford. Shelby would have to be sponsored again in order to compete. And they would have to build a team from scratch. Shelby had some of the best people in the world from Southern California in the 60's. And he had great designers (Pete Brock) and fabricators (Phil Remington) and drivers (Ken Miles, Dan Gurney, etc). Ford spent so much money on Le Mans that an accountant told Shelby that it was driving Ford towards bankruptcy. Even a NASCAR team requires a sponsor, since they are not technically factory teams, and the primary sponsor pays over 15 million per year. And Shelby stock is less than a dollar so there is no room to play.

Sadly, we have to admit that the Shelby of the 60's is no more. Those were dedicate hot rodders that slept in the truck with the race car and many received little compensation for their talents. They did it for the love of racing. Those people are gone forever. Now Shelby is more of just a business. But always with the name and the mystique.

Some of us hot rodders are still around and are trying to bring back the Shelby name to the regional level of the SCCA . I am getting help from Shelby Performance Parts and I'm building a Shelby GT to run in the new SCCA SPEC MUSTANG class . It's a start just like Carroll bringing the GT350R cars to Texas and running SCCA BP regional races back in the 60's. Nothing is being handed over to me - I'm taking the initiative to get things going and hoping others will join in ! Feel free to strip down your Shelby like I have and build a race car to compete. Don't start shoveling - I'm not dead yet . And YES I've been known to sleep in the truck at the track @ night . See you at the races !

P.S. - I don't expect a paycheck from doing this - my payoff is a hard fought battle on the track and winning ! Wish me luck

Sadly, we have to admit that the Shelby of the 60's is no more. Those were dedicate hot rodders that slept in the truck with the race car and many received little compensation for their talents. They did it for the love of racing. Those people are gone forever. Now Shelby is more of just a business. But always with the name and the mystique.

I don't think those days and people with that talent are over. Any given race weekend at SCCA World Challenge, or Grand-Am Continental Challenge race is full of teams with non paid extremely talented mechanics and craftsmen. Heck, many of the Rolex teams have volunteer weekend pit crew. I would think either World Challenge or Continental races with Shelby sponsorship on Mustangs would be very doable. I think it would be extremely awesome to see a Shelby Mustang up against the Roush Team at a Continental Race. How fun would that be? Paul Brown's Tiger Racing won the World Challenge championship in a Mustang with almost all volunteer crew. So sad that he was taken away from us last year so young by cancer. He would have been the perfect team to wear Shelby Sponsorship in World Challenge. Heart, Dedication, and the will to win is what allowed them to do so much with so little compared to the other top teams. By the way, all the Mustang Teams wore a Carroll Memorial sticker at the Laguna Seca Continental Challenge race last year. Even the Roush team was honored to wear the sticker that weekend. They all had them on the B pillar for the race.

Laguna3.jpg

Laguna5.jpg

Shelby Performance Parts has reached out to several racers to begin an affiliation, you will definitely see the Shelby colors more often at many track events this year.

Jer

Shelby Performance Parts has reached out to several racers to begin an affiliation, you will definitely see the Shelby colors more often at many track events this year.

Jer

:happy feet:

Check out these pix from this weekend at Richmond...wasn't expecting to see Shelby there.

DSC_4621_zps0e767591.jpg

DSC_4537_zpscce67630.jpg

Glad you posted... I was just searching the internet for pics of this car!

:salute:

Some of us hot rodders are still around and are trying to bring back the Shelby name to the regional level of the SCCA . I am getting help from Shelby Performance Parts and I'm building a Shelby GT to run in the new SCCA SPEC MUSTANG class . It's a start just like Carroll bringing the GT350R cars to Texas and running SCCA BP regional races back in the 60's. Nothing is being handed over to me - I'm taking the initiative to get things going and hoping others will join in ! Feel free to strip down your Shelby like I have and build a race car to compete. Don't start shoveling - I'm not dead yet . And YES I've been known to sleep in the truck at the track @ night . See you at the races !

P.S. - I don't expect a paycheck from doing this - my payoff is a hard fought battle on the track and winning ! Wish me luck

I'm following your thread...

All the best!

:rockon:

Part of my plan "when" I win the LOTTERY is to bring back a fully sponored Shelby team to domestic road racing. :salute:

Debenste Racing has been running the number 98 for a couple of years with Robert Yates engines in the NASCAR Nationwide series. He has both white and black models. Swindle has been running well in the top ten. http://www.denbestemotorsports.com/ Bill Denbeste has a great team and shop. http://www.biagidenbesteracing.com/ I had the pleasure of meting Bill and seeing the cars in his shop in February before the season started. I have watched some of the Continental Tire Series on Speed channel and noticed quite a few Shelby GT500 entries running with the Boss 302 and Roush Mustangs. Bill Denbeste is a SAI dealer, the supplier of the Shelby wines and builder of Shelby Engines. B)

yes there are Shelby's being raced but I don't think we will ever see a SHELBY team again. Not unless Ford sponsored the Shelby team again as in the 60's. Yes there are still dedicated racers and volunteers but there is an old adage in racing. "Speed costs money kid. How fast can you go?"

yes there are Shelby's being raced but I don't think we will ever see a SHELBY team again. Not unless Ford sponsored the Shelby team again as in the 60's. Yes there are still dedicated racers and volunteers but there is an old adage in racing. "Speed costs money kid. How fast can you go?"

I believe that is " How fast can you AFFORD to go? " or is it " How fast can you get a Ford to go ? " :superhero:

Imagine the amount of fans Shelby lovers could provide and the bleed over to Ford if Shelby just sponsored a car in a national series. Cheaper than a race team.

If it were my choice, this is the team which I could see flying a Shelby banner. I've been around Rehagan Racing for many years now in multiple series. Dean Martin is a heck of a guy and an amazing racer. Pretty small budget team which manages to win many races at local and national televised events. From Spec Iron and American Iron in NASA, to Grand Am Continental Challenge. They are helpful to road racers all over the country and always willing to help. Look what they did just last week building a car in a matter of days from a street car to a race car and winning races:

http://racing.ford.com/road-racing/news/articles/martin-recalls-frantic-mustang-build-ahead-of-mid-ohio-spec-iron-debut-1293055302134/

True sponsorship of a racing team is an expense most likely allocated to advertising (so deductible). Companies like Lucas have huge advertising budgets, and who knows, the extra revenue generated by the advertising on sponsored cars and sites probably does generate enough additional income to offset the expense. A small company like the current Shelby American probably wouldn't realize enough extra revenue to offset the expense.

Also remember that the sponshorship of a team - cars and drivers - has a pretty high participation required. Wreck a car and there's $100K more cash to get a new one (at least, based on what I see a FR500 going for, in that ball park). Then salaries for drivers and crew.

I don't think it will happen

There's also a big difference between sponsoring a team - cars and drivers - and the level of sponsorship that gets a sticker on the side of a car... That might be worth doing.

Archived