TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Trip to Las Vegas (Shelby American?)

Moncho

Turns out my boss and two buddies of his are on their way to pickup a "Mustang" in Las Vegas. These are the words of the trip initiator to my boss and his other buddy. Turns out it's his 50th birthday and apparently his wife set him up with a "Mustang" that happens to be in Las Vegas. So after by boss talks to me about this trip well I mention to him, you know whats out in Las Vegas that may have something to do with picking up a "Mustang" right? The boss had no idea so I promptly told him with total disregard of this being a surprise to him as well. I'm thinking a GT350 or possibly a GTS? They should be there either today of tomorrow. And no I don't think it's the cat house named "Mustang".

I sure hope I'm right on this as it seems crazy to pick up an ordinary "Mustang" in Vegas...

Stay tuned...

Cheers,

Ray

Yet another update this one unfortunately isn't good. Once my boss made it back to work he gave me the bad news. They were trying to get a little more out of it on the dyno although they already had it @ 729rwhp and was trying for more..... when the blower blew and the engine compartment was in flames. Fortunately the crew @ SA extinguished the fire w/o additional damage. Looks like the 2.8LC Kenne Bell seized/locked up at WOT.

No pics of the carnage as I'm sure everyone there was completely startled of what happened, the last thing they were thinking of was taking pics.

What a tough break for my bosses buddy, but I'm sure SA will make this right when it's all said and done.

Regards,

Ray

They were trying to get a little more out of it on the dyno although they already had it @ 729rwhp and was trying for more..... when the blower blew and the engine compartment was in flames.

DANG!

At least it was the blower and not the engine that blew!

And good thing Shelby still had it when it blew. If the customer had taken it and it blew, it would'a been on his dime.

Phill

Last I heard SA was taking the engine apart, so they aren't stopping @ the blower. They apparently aren't leaving anything for chance. We all know crap happens and when it does you want to be dealing with a company such as SA that backs up what they do. They will make this right .

Regards,

Ray

Yet another update this one unfortunately isn't good. Once my boss made it back to work he gave me the bad news. They were trying to get a little more out of it on the dyno although they already had it @ 729rwhp and was trying for more..... when the blower blew and the engine compartment was in flames. Fortunately the crew @ SA extinguished the fire w/o additional damage. Looks like the 2.8LC Kenne Bell seized/locked up at WOT.

No pics of the carnage as I'm sure everyone there was completely startled of what happened, the last thing they were thinking of was taking pics.

What a tough break for my bosses buddy, but I'm sure SA will make this right when it's all said and done.

Regards,

Ray

Now that's an oddity for this to happen. :(

Now that's an oddity for this to happen. :(

Yeah!

That's the first time I've ever heard of a BLOWER exploding. They're engineered/balanced to take way more RPM than needed so this is strange.

I'd suspect it was the front gears that had a problem but if there was fire involved, I truly suspect it was the engine (or the engine TOO) that blew and there's just a miscommunication here.

And for Moncho: Yeah, the engine would pretty much HAVE to come apart. No question that it will ingest just about everything above the intake manifold at just about any RPM, not just high rpm.

I built a 427ci Big Block Chevy for a (Jet) race boat and a partner of mine built the heads. The head of a titanium valve came off of the stem at ~7500 RPM and not only did it take out the cylinder it fed but it went up into the intake manifold and visited two other companion cylinders, taking them out too.

You would be amazed at the dynamics of a engine at those kinds of HP levels, and what can happen when they grenade.

Phill

Wow! Great surprise but to sad to hear about the dyno run. SA will make it right. When all is done, it will be a great discussion topic that may even generate a laugh or two and he will have a great car.

Archived