TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Tire sealant kit is expired, what did you replace it with?

Ford Fest

Getting ready for a road trip to Shelbyfest in Hermann, MO. Thought I'd check the repair kit in the truck and it shows use by 2010. Visited the local Ford dealer and could not believe they told me $198 for a replacement kit and you cannot simply buy another can of sealant.

I have 2007 GT500 with 20" Razors and the Extreme brake package. Don't think the spare and jack is a good option for me.

What should I replace the tire sealant with? I found the standard Fix a Flat, green slime, and a kit from slime that looks very similar to the one included in our cars.

Just want to have a backup plan just in case.

Getting ready for a road trip to Shelbyfest in Hermann, MO. Thought I'd check the repair kit in the truck and it shows use by 2010. Visited the local Ford dealer and could not believe they told me $198 for a replacement kit and you cannot simply buy another can of sealant.

I have 2007 GT500 with 20" Razors and the Extreme brake package. Don't think the spare and jack is a good option for me.

What should I replace the tire sealant with? I found the standard Fix a Flat, green slime, and a kit from slime that looks very similar to the one included in our cars.

Just want to have a backup plan just in case.

I'm curious; Where do you find the "use by" date?

I need to check mine.

I think I'd just get a can/bottle of slime and keep it in the car along with the OE sealer, just in case the OE one failed when needed.

Ford got theirs someplace. I bet if a person looks long and hard enough, you could find the same thing. But getting Ford to tell you who their supplier is might be a lot like pulling teeth. Mfgrs aren't known for freely disclosing their sources although you might be able to find a MSDS list that will show who makes it.

Phill

That's it, crazy Ford wants $198. Still don't see why you can't buy another bottle of sealant and hose.

That is known in marketing as "having the consumer over a barrel".

That's it, crazy Ford wants $198. Still don't see why you can't buy another bottle of sealant and hose.

Good video on how to use the kit

http://www.tirerack....wto_cck_vid.jsp

WJinLV,

Cool set-up!

I am fairly sure the ContiComfort kit is the same one that Ford includes in there kit. Ford just adds a syrofoam case and strap so it fits in the wheel well.

M-19543-C.jpg

These kits are EASILY refillable. I did the one on our Bullitt about two months ago. Bought the refill kit on E Bay for like 20 bucks, takes about 20 minutes to replace the kit. Let me see if I can find the link on IMBOC when I did mine. Complete How To with pics.....

Mike

Here is a link on IMBOC for the How To I did for refilling these kits.....Enjoy.

Mike

http://www.imboc.com...ad.php?t=208353

Wow, VERY informative!

Is there someplace other than e-bay to purchase the Continental goo?

I'll bet the Ford dealer can get them but are just too lazy to look it up, or would rather sell you a $200 assembly rather than a $20 (likely $40 @ dealer) bottle of sealant.

Phill

This thread should be stickied. Better yet we need Grabber to do this and write it up and then sticky his thread. B)

Yeah, or maybe gotoatz could import the pics & text over here to Team Shelby. Or anyone else for that matter.

This should definitely be a sticky on TS.

Phill

Funny...Ford / Shelby provided our cars with this product which states "This product cannot be used on vehicles equipped with direct tire pressure monitoring sensors in the wheels. Use of this product on these vehicles could result in damage to the sensor inside the wheel"

But...whaddaya gonna do?

Yeah, or maybe gotoatz could import the pics & text over here to Team Shelby. Or anyone else for that matter.

This should definitely be a sticky on TS.

Phill

Just say the word, and I will copy and paste it over if you want a new thread started on it to sticky......

Mike

Funny...Ford / Shelby provided our cars with this product which states "This product cannot be used on vehicles equipped with direct tire pressure monitoring sensors in the wheels. Use of this product on these vehicles could result in damage to the sensor inside the wheel"

But...whaddaya gonna do?

Exactly. I will tell you that when I used the inflator and Goo on the Bullitt, I warned my tire guy for when they broke the bead on the tire. He said he appreciated the heads up, but it has not been an issue with the TPMS on that wheel......And I used the full can of Goo.....

Mike

Yes, those slimes are known to ruin the TPMS sensor. So why does Ford or Shelby send it along? I ALWAYS keep a 12V compressor and a plug kit in my car. And please do not respond with the comments about plugs being safe. I don't drive that fast anyway. I would not track a plugged tire without having it "properly repaired" though. It takes less time to fix a flat with a compressor and a plug kit than it does to get the jack out of the car, if you had one. Over the last 15 years I have fixed 3 or 4 tires this way with n'er an issue.

Yes, those slimes are known to ruin the TPMS sensor. So why does Ford or Shelby send it along? I ALWAYS keep a 12V compressor and a plug kit in my car. And please do not respond with the comments about plugs being safe. I don't drive that fast anyway. I would not track a plugged tire without having it "properly repaired" though. It takes less time to fix a flat with a compressor and a plug kit than it does to get the jack out of the car, if you had one. Over the last 15 years I have fixed 3 or 4 tires this way with n'er an issue.

I agree. Toss those slime, goo packs and learn to plug a tire. It's easy, fast and will get you where you want to go.

This thread should be stickied. Better yet we need Grabber to do this and write it up and then sticky his thread. B)

Welcome back to our Team 40th leader. I've noticed a slight increase in postings lately.

WalMart has slime in a can that is TPMS safe. No water in it which is what supposedly messes p the TPMS.

Yeah, I think that is actually what I have a can of in my trunk at the moment. I leave the original (expired) Conti Kit in there for show and buy the much less expensive WalMart SLime!

Here is a link on IMBOC for the How To I did for refilling these kits.....Enjoy.

Mike

http://www.imboc.com...ad.php?t=208353

+1 Great right up and sticky

Jer should bring in the replacement bottles, if not I have a friend who is a tire wholeseller he might be interested

Thank you eveyone for your input

Just say the word, and I will copy and paste it over if you want a new thread started on it to sticky......

Mike

Mike I think it would be great if you can move that thread over here to TS as a new thread so we don't have to depend on another site. Then it could be sticky-ed. Thanks! :salute:

I leave the original (expired) Conti Kit in there for show and buy the much less expensive WalMart SLime!

Just because the tag says it's expired doesn't mean it can't be used.

The way the bottle is sealed, I'd try it to see before calling it dead.

Phill

Just because the tag says it's expired doesn't mean it can't be used.

The way the bottle is sealed, I'd try it to see before calling it dead.

Phill

Yes Phill, I know...I have the slime just in case it doesn't. In any even, I just hope I never have the need!

Yes Phill, I know...I have the slime just in case it doesn't. In any even, I just hope I never have the need!

That's pretty much what I was saying to do in my first comment. Buy a bottle of slime and keep it in the car, "just in case".

At least now we have a source to replace the bottle alone, instead of buying the whole damn kit from Ford @ $195.00!

Phill

Mike I think it would be great if you can move that thread over here to TS as a new thread so we don't have to depend on another site. Then it could be sticky-ed. Thanks! :salute:

Done Deal. Had to split it on two threads due to the amount of pictures. Site would not let me post all pics in one thread. Perhaps a moderator can "thread" them together...... :hysterical::hysterical:

Archived