TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Charging a dead battery - Weird noise question

Z-man

So I decided to take the car out of it's winter "hibernation" today, and the battery was dead. It's my own fault for not keeping it on the charger.

In any case, I hooked up the charger, and after about a minute I heard a weird noise coming from the passenger rear of the car. It was kind of like a buzzing speaker (which I checked, and it was not), and I also noticed the back-up lights were on (gearshift was in1st) and the license plate light was on too. If I unplugged the charger, the noise stopped and the lights went out.

I unhooked the battery from the car, and it seems to be charging fine now.

Any ideas what the buzzing noise and the lights were all about?

Z-man

So I decided to take the car out of it's winter "hibernation" today, and the battery was dead. It's my own fault for not keeping it on the charger.

In any case, I hooked up the charger, and after about a minute I heard a weird noise coming from the passenger rear of the car. It was kind of like a buzzing speaker (which I checked, and it was not), and I also noticed the back-up lights were on (gearshift was in1st) and the license plate light was on too. If I unplugged the charger, the noise stopped and the lights went out.

I unhooked the battery from the car, and it seems to be charging fine now.

Any ideas what the buzzing noise and the lights were all about?

Z-man

I'm real interested in hearing others experience with this.

I have a VERY similar situation with my 2010 GT500. Battery was STONE dead (after only a relatively short in-op period). Something drained it. I hooked my charger up and heard a buzzing noise but not from the rear, but from what sounded like the right side passenger floor area. I couldn't find it but I have really bad hearing. I asked my wife to listen under the hood near the cowl, thinking it was coming from the engine bay but she couldn't hear anything. When I got out of the car, I couldn't either. Back in the car and the noise is loud (loud enough for a 1/2 deaf person to hear).

I'm thinking mine was the heater fan motor or something to do with the HVAC. I couldn't get it to stop until I disconnected the batt, fully charged it up then reconnected. No noise, no drain, no more dead/dying battery.

That's VERY unusual for my car. I can typically/easily go at least 2 months without a dead battery. This was MAYBE over 1 month.

But the symptom sounds the same as yours, just in a different location (although both on the right side). I thought maybe it was a relay buzzing under the right/pass kick panel but not sure what's under there (but I know there is SOMETHING electronic in the pass kick panel).

Anyone else?

TIA,

Phill

There are all kinds of components on our cars that require power all the time. Those components pull a small continuess draw on the battery. when the battery fails....they go bonkers if the power is not sufficient. The noise under the hood is the throttle body. The noise in the trunk area is probably the fuel pump. This happened to me last year and I called VMP and they told me to put a new battery in and it would fix the situation......and it did.

Same thing happened to me, put the charger on the battery after it died and the car did all the same crazy stuff. Trickle charger couldn't revive it, and local mustang shop said the same as Grabber. Basically the car is trying to power up without enough amps, and it bypasses the battery to try, which sets everything off. Although the trickle couldn't revive it, he said pull it out and charge it separate from the car and it would be fine. I did and it was, and its still good 2 years later, I just always keep it on the trickle now.

Battery Tender is the way to go, been using it ever since new 8/09, my battery is still holding up. No jinx here please...Lol. We've had some cold a couple years back.

I do have a 'smart' trickle charger for it...i just need to be 'smart' enough to remeber to hook it back up to the GT500 after I borrow it to charge another car. The battery has been on the charger overnight, and is fully charged now. I have not hooked the battery back up yet and tried to start it.

To help pinpoint where I heard the sound coming from. It was definately in the passenger side, rear wheel well area. Not by the gas tank (or I would agree about it possibly being the fuel pump trying to power back up). When I though it might be one of the rear speakers, I opend the trunk and stuck my head in. The sound was behind the passenger side trim panel on the side of the trunk (I don't have the shaker 1000 sub-woofer), but I didn't feel like pulling the panel to see what's behind it.

Z-man

The sound was behind the passenger side trim panel on the side of the trunk (I don't have the shaker 1000 sub-woofer), but I didn't feel like pulling the panel to see what's behind it.

Z-man

There's an "anti-theft horn" (Ford's description in the wiring diagram) back there. It sounds like an old VW horn. I hear it, one short beep, when i reconnect the battery after a disconnect.

Steve

z,

Behind that trunk side panel lives the controller for Sirius Satellite radio...

Anton

If I don't have Sirius, does the controller still 'live' there?

Archived