TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500 Motor Assembly and more

There's a wonderful Steve Turner article (Dream Factories, pg 74) in the June 5.0M&SF mag on how the GT500 is built -- 8 pages -- plenty of photos. Most of the article is dedicated to the Romeo niche line and there's a lot of great photos and interesting little tidbits. The two man team of Gary Marston and Jeff Hamblin are featured -- this article is a 'keeper' if they built yours (or even if they didn't) ;) The assembly sequence and nicely covered -- special assembly tools and techniques including inspection and cleaning. (note to Steve Turner: delete occurences of "Melvins" and substitute "Mavens" ;-)

For example:

• The forged alum pistons and forged cracked-powder rods are made by Mahle (who made the Ford GT pistons/rods, if I recall [which are H-bean, not c-p I-beam]) and come pre-assembled and pre-cracked but not separated/broken which is done with a special machine @ Romeo niche. ARP bolts are used. Good pic of the assembly.. VERY stout crank-end journal!
  • The GT500 uses the '04 Terminator's cams (that was news to me!)
  • The WEP (Windsor Engine Plant?? [just a guess]) Condor blocks are inspected and 100% certified for H2O pump bore diameter, nicks on head decks, nicks on cyl-bore chamfers and for MBC[?] porosity
  • Assembly lube ont the bearings is Motorcraft 5W50 oil. That really surprised me but maybe that's done so the dry spin-force tests that are done prior to actual firing are not skewed (just my guess, but I'd bet that's the reason).
  • The pic of the blocks showing H20 passages at the deck shows just how improved the cooling is on the 5.4 -- huge block-head cooling passages (my subjective comment)!!
  • Except for the headers and some misc pieces, everything is assembled with torque-sensing electric guns/tools that know, in the exceptional case, if the part didn't assemble right

Nice article!!

Dan

April 12th I posted this link ......

http://www.stangsunleashed.com/forums/inde...ic=7452&hl=

Glad to see your paying attention too me again 68fastback ;)

:doh: I guess that's why we need ya, Coldy :wub:

Coldwater MI gets mags quicker than JFK airport!!

ok, ok... just consider it a 'bump' :hysterical:

Has anyone gone through the trouble of downloading all those photos? Is there any way to do so other than one at a time? I would really like to keep a copy of those (the high res ones) but it is very slow going to get them one at a time.....

Has anyone gone through the trouble of downloading all those photos? Is there any way to do so other than one at a time? I would really like to keep a copy of those (the high res ones) but it is very slow going to get them one at a time.....

...I did a cut and paste of the narrative story with photos into microsoft word, so it would look decent, and printed it all off and placed into a binder (along with all 225 of the extra photos, 8 to a page). I put this binder in the engine area at car shows for folks to browse through. I found no easy way to download the photos; just did 15 or 20 a day until it was over. Seems to go way too slow for how big the photo files are.

Did anyone notice the caption that said Ford will be making the GT500 for 2 or 3 years? :unsure: ;-)

The 5W50 weight is used for more consistent test results on the torque tests.

The guns are GSE DC nutrunners.

Each individual torque hit on a nut is counted - and if you don't have the exactly correct number of hits you don't move on to the next operation.

The rods ARE detorqued before cracking - then they are retorqued to a very very low torque. This is to prevent the cracked surfaces from rusting or, just as importantly, to prevent them from rubbing together and destroying the "perfect fit". The detorque machine is pretty cool because it's 100% pneumatic - no electronics. So it can be moved around at a moments notice.

Oh, and try 5 years, not 2 or 3.....

The 5W50 weight is used for more consistent test results on the torque tests.

The guns are GSE DC nutrunners.

Each individual torque hit on a nut is counted - and if you don't have the exactly correct number of hits you don't move on to the next operation.

The rods ARE detorqued before cracking - then they are retorqued to a very very low torque. This is to prevent the cracked surfaces from rusting or, just as importantly, to prevent them from rubbing together and destroying the "perfect fit". The detorque machine is pretty cool because it's 100% pneumatic - no electronics. So it can be moved around at a moments notice.

Oh, and try 5 years, not 2 or 3.....

Hey, Pulsar -- WELCOME!!! ...and thanks for the tech insight ...good stuff!

Interesting on the 5 years ...makes sense to me that Ford will produce this engine in some Mustang (maybe Mach after GT500?) for a several years -- maybe until the H/Boss picks up the heavy lifting?? ...that just seems to make business sense to me given the develoment investment, but it has been a hotly debated subject around here ;-)

Appreciate your comments.

Dan

Did anyone notice the caption that said Ford will be making the GT500 for 2 or 3 years? :unsure: ;-)

Three or more years of production, and Ruf will have one to tweak.

Notice Ruf remaining calm.

...stripe delete...rims....suspension...tires....side exhaust?...maybe white this time...

Wow, pricey. My guess is that Ford marks it up about 50%, then the reseller marks it up a bit...so Ford's cost to make it might be about $9,000 or so? Just a guess.

They were selling 2003/4 Cobra crate motors for about 7500 complete, same basic stuff.

Purely on what makes sense from a business standpoint and with no inside knowledge, I would bet that the existing GT500 motor (with the Eaton 188H) goes into a Mach as soon as the TVS R2300 replaces the 188H on the 5.4 in a production sense, i.e. after SS mods complete and KR production moves to TVS, which just has to happen regardless of Ford's cagey KR inscrutability ;-) Imo, that's when some big power gets cheap and, traditionally, that's the Mach. Of course that actually makes sense since the H/Boss is then just around the corner in the refreshed MY'10 ('09) 'refreshed' more-aero slanty-eyed Mustang. Again, pure speculaton ...but ol' FoMoCo just has to run that 5.4 motor into an extended run in some form ;)

...I did a cut and paste of the narrative story with photos into microsoft word, so it would look decent, and printed it all off and placed into a binder (along with all 225 of the extra photos, 8 to a page). I put this binder in the engine area at car shows for folks to browse through. I found no easy way to download the photos; just did 15 or 20 a day until it was over. Seems to go way too slow for how big the photo files are.

Any chance a person cold get a cd of your work? :headspin: I am sure some kind of repayment for your time could be worked out. :happy feet:

Archived