TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Mufflers with Long Tube Headers

I was able to bring my car out to my apartment a couple weeks ago, and I'm already staring to hear complaints from my neighbors about how loud the car is. To be fair, I'm also getting a lot of compliments about how it sounds. But to keep peace with everyone I'm looking for a muffler that will match up well with the long tubes. I want to find something that will keep things quite at idle and when I'm pulling out of my parking lot, but will still be loud at WOT. I want to try to find something that will be deep too, I can't stand hearing cars that have had $1000s put into them but they sound like a foreign tuners with a six inch muffler. The SGT deserves something better than that raspy empty sound when it's coming up to speed.

I will be selling my magnaflo axle backs soon. They might be perfect for you. They are too laid back for me at idle, but they do wake up and scare you a bit when you put your foot in it. 100% drone free, and very easy (too easy for me) at cruising highway speeds. I guess I am used to and miss my '65 with solid lifter cam, headers and straight through mufflers. I'm looking for something with more grunt!

Here is what I have: http://www.americanmuscle.com/2005-magnaflow-axleback-exhaust-gt.html

I will be selling my magnaflo axle backs soon. They might be perfect for you. They are too laid back for me at idle, but they do wake up and scare you a bit when you put your foot in it. 100% drone free, and very easy (too easy for me) at cruising highway speeds. I guess I am used to and miss my '65 with solid lifter cam, headers and straight through mufflers. I'm looking for something with more grunt!

Here is what I have: http://www.americanm...exhaust-gt.html

I don't like my neighbors that much, those are on the quiet side for me. What are you looking to change out to?

How about the Ford Racing FR500S exhaust?

http://www.americanm...back-05091.html

I'm thinking about those, the FRPP Stinger, and the Borla Touring. I'm just not sure what would sound best with the long tubes since they cause the exhaust tone to have a high pitch (at least to my ears).

You are running the X-Pipe right? Maybe an H will give a lower rumble.

Soon, I will have American Racing LT's and FRPP Hot Rod Cams matched up with my current FR500S Axle-Backs. So, I will have a first hand listen. I sure do like the way those MRT's sound ------

Must have some picky neighbors! Muffler deletes don't even sound that loud at idle/low rpms to me....

Tell me about it, I really don't want to give up the deletes but I'd rather put money into car mods than noise ordinance tickets. I'm still debating where I'm actually going to change 'em. It seems even to annoy them when I leave since they have a rager in their apartment above me every week. We might just start a noise ordinance war... :rant2:

Roush off road axle backs - civilized at idle and under a light load but definitely wake up and very nice sound when driving

But no long tubes so uncertain about that

FordFan1 has a set too

The Borla Touring systems we sell are a happy medium. Or just Borla Turbo axle-backs...

http://www.shelbysto...uct-p/11752.htm

Jer

Thats a good deal too! Is that a cat-back or axle-back system? I took the description to mean cat-back...

Notes:

Sold as a pair.

Replaces the "over the axle" pipes, mufflers and exhaust tips.

Constructed from austinetic stainless steel.

I had FRPP shorties and x pipe on my 07 GT . I ran Borla stingers for awhile, loved the deep sound but there was a drone between 1600-2000 rpm. Sold those and put on a set of KR mufflers. Sounded great with no drone. Had Kooks LTs with catted h pipe installed and now the car sounded very aggressive at idle but way loud at cruise. Sold the KRs and put a set of 08 Bullitt mufflers on . I was amazed at how much quieter they were. IMO they sound a little too quiet at idle. They do sound good at cruise and WOT.

My wife bought me a set of Borla Touring mufflers for Christmas but they aren't on yet ( too cold outside for me )

That price at the Shelby store is by far the best price that I have seen for the Borla touring muffler .$ 200 below any price that I have seen.

Running Long tubes and a catless x pipe with Borla Touring and they sound great, nice deep sound at idle, no drone. When you play with the loud pedal it really sounds sweet. I had a Camaro owner pull up and comment on how sweet it sounded ( he had to wait to catch me at a light :). I just put my catted x pipe on it and same deep sound at idle just not as loud when laying into it.

Here is a clip of my LT's off road H pipe and the Borlas.

http://s944.photobucket.com/user/tkbrock/media/Muffler%20Videos/pypeltborlas.mp4.html?sort=3&o=0

I think I'm sold on the Borla Touring (Shelby Turbo) setup. They seem to have the differentiation in sound that I want between idle and WOT. Now I just need to find the funds for them, with all the new parts and clothing at SPP I seem to be do this :spend: more often...

Archived