TEAM SHELBY FORUM

ordered a 14... what's next

blk12svt

Last week I ordered a new 14 and wondering what to expect and when. They said delivery would take around 8 weeks. When I ordered the car I handed the salesman a piece of paper with the color (white/black stripes), and options (SVT PP and Recaros). He said that was all he needed but I got no acknowledgement, receipt or anything stating I had ordered the car.

I called him the next day and said did you get it ordered? He said I am working on it now and so and so would be submitting the order on Monday the 15th. I have read that after so long you can go on line and get your serial ,etc. I don't want to bug the guy but would like to confirm that everybody in the human chain did things right and didn't leave something off or get something screwed up someway which is how my luck usually runs.

Please don't take this the wrong way but in my opinion you do not have a GT500 on order. All you have is a "promise" from a salesperson who doesn't even order the cars for the dealership.

Now lets pretend that I'm 100% wrong and you recieve a phone call from this salesperson eight weeks from now saying that your car is in. What are you going to do when the sales manager then asks you for a $100,000 check ? You have no contract so there is no agreement including an agreed upon price. Sure you can walk out but by then will you be able to order a 2014 GT500 from another dealer?

Best of luck to you but again in my opinion you do not have a GT500 on order.

Steve

I'm a new member here but I just ordered a 2014 GT500 yesterday. I received a Vehicle Order Confirmation that contains a Dealer number, Order No, Order type along with a detailed agreement on Price + Dealer Installed items + other items like tax etc. which aggregate to a Total Cash Price delivered. I also had to place a deposit and have a credit check because the dealer wanted to know I could afford the vehicle before putting in an order. I believe that this is the norm and it doesn't sound like that's what you got!!

Agree blk...if you didnt receive an order confirmation paper stating your options, price, etc than you have nothing. Stop by again, ask to see the sales manager and ask him for the paperwork and a receipt for your deposit.

I'm a new member here but I just ordered a 2014 GT500 yesterday. I received a Vehicle Order Confirmation that contains a Dealer number, Order No, Order type along with a detailed agreement on Price + Dealer Installed items + other items like tax etc. which aggregate to a Total Cash Price delivered. I also had to place a deposit and have a credit check because the dealer wanted to know I could afford the vehicle before putting in an order. I believe that this is the norm and it doesn't sound like that's what you got!!

Welcome to Team Shelby, irishshelbyguy. Yes your scenario sounds about right. The only suggestion I have in your case is to contact the dealer in a few weeks and ask for the cars VIN number. The dealer can't provide a VIN number right now but should be able to in a few weeks.

Other than that all you can do is prepare yourself for one great spring/summer with your new Shelby :)

Steve

Don't expect a VIN in the next month. I ordered a 2014 in Nov from a small dealer in California and it has not been scheduled for build. All dealers are not treated equally when it come to GT500 allocations, if you're lucky your dealer will get his allocation filled quickly, if not you just have to wait. All you can do is check every Friday with SVT (800-367-3788) and check on the production status. You will need either the VIN or Order Number and Dealer Code to check the status. The dealer code and order number will be on the Vehicle Order Confirmation or the DORA that your dealer should have given you. If your dealer won't supply you with one of these documents, the car hasn't been ordered.

Don't expect a VIN in the next month. I ordered a 2014 in Nov from a small dealer in California and it has not been scheduled for build. All dealers are not treated equally when it come to GT500 allocations, if you're lucky your dealer will get his allocation filled quickly, if not you just have to wait. All you can do is check every Friday with SVT (800-367-3788) and check on the production status. You will need either the VIN or Order Number and Dealer Code to check the status. The dealer code and order number will be on the Vehicle Order Confirmation or the DORA that your dealer should have given you. If your dealer won't supply you with one of these documents, the car hasn't been ordered.

Snoop,

In the past car manufacturers always gave priority to cars that were pre-sold, do you or anyone else know it that holds true in todays world?

Steve

GEEEE .. I would get myself back to the dealer right now and get CONFIRMATION .. That's if you really want the Shelby.....knowing PRICE BEFORE DELIVERY .. if the dealer really wants your business he/she will kiss ass to get it......

Last week I ordered a new 14 and wondering what to expect and when. They said delivery would take around 8 weeks. When I ordered the car I handed the salesman a piece of paper with the color (white/black stripes), and options (SVT PP and Recaros). He said that was all he needed but I got no acknowledgement, receipt or anything stating I had ordered the car.

I called him the next day and said did you get it ordered? He said I am working on it now and so and so would be submitting the order on Monday the 15th. I have read that after so long you can go on line and get your serial ,etc. I don't want to bug the guy but would like to confirm that everybody in the human chain did things right and didn't leave something off or get something screwed up someway which is how my luck usually runs.

you should get a DORA (vehicle order confirmation letter) that verifies the dealer submitted your order for build.

DORA -Dealer Order Receipt Acknowledgement

VOC - Vehicle Order Confirmation

These are 2 different types of order reports. The dealer should be able to supply the VOC when the order is entered into the order bank system, the DORA may arrive at a later date.

DORA

2014GT500DORA_zps1b2b3a1d.jpg

VOC

2014VOCSample.jpg

Snoop,

In the past car manufacturers always gave priority to cars that were pre-sold, do you or anyone else know it that holds true in todays world?

Steve

Steve, It didn't work that way for the 2013's. I am not sure if Ford rectified this for the 2014. But the fact that there have been 2 dealers within 60 miles of me that have already received 2014 GT500's ordered for stock and the dealer that I ordered my 2014 (Retail) through has not received any word on the car's production scheduling, leads me to believe that nothing has changed since 2012 (2013 MY).

I would certainly be suspicious if they didn't ask for a down payment or offer some sort of documentation proof like the others have suggested, at the same time I have to wonder about any dealer that would mislead a customer who is obviously willing to purchase a very high end expensive vehicle.

Snoopy is spot-on regarding dealers receiving "stock" orders ahead of "pre-sold" ones in the 2013 MY. I watched this happen while waiting for my "ordered" car.

Another word of caution to those of you with orders pending is that neither a VOC nor a DORA guarantees you a car. I ordered a 2013 Shelby from Phil Long Ford Chapel Hills (Colorado Springs, CO) on 18 Jun. They provided me a VOC and a DORA and, for nearly four months, they told me mine was their "#1 of 3" allocations. When I began pressing for answers about what was taking so long in mid-September, they admitted they didn't have an allocation for my order, which had somehow become "#3 of 2". Despite their "optimism" they could still fulfill my order, I canceled the order and found my car elsewhere. Besides shopping somewhere other than Phil Long Ford Chapel Hills, the takeaway is that a VOC, a DORA, and a signed purchase agreement meant NOTHING when I contacted Ford to complain about how I was treated.

Norton,

The same thing happened on my 2013 order. I ordered the car from a dealer on May 27, 2012 and was told it was his first allocation and was supplied with a VOC on the day of the order. I got a call from the dealer at the end of July and was told that they had just received a 2013 GT500. I asked when I could come get my car and was informed that this wasn't my car, it was one the owner had ordered for stock. When I asked about my car they told me it was still on order. To make a long story short. My dealer had used his one and only allocation on the first car and my car never had an allocation. If the dealer had not received an unexpected last minute allocation on Oct 31, 2012, my car would have never been built. My car didn't get built until Jan 14, 2013 and was delivered on Jan 26, 2013, 8 months after I ordered it.

I ordered on Feb.19, it was scheduled to build on March 19, and got it on April 5th. I put a down payment on it, and the price I was to pay was verified before I placed the order. I believe that the VIN is issued when it is scheduled to build. The dealer that I have worked with on five vehicles, including this one, is on top of the production info. The treatment is great from a customer viewpoint. No BS. If they can't get something, they tell you up front, or try to find what you are looking for somewhere else.

As a matter of fact, I had asked if 2013 GT500's were available that they could find for me to purchase. The message was, order the 2014, many of the dealers are marking the cars up above MSRP. We will get you a new one for sticker price. And that is what they did. I was never in the dark about any of the process. Unfortunately, not every dealership is the same. Oh, the dealership I work with is Sarat Ford in Agawam, MA. A family owned business, and really nice people.

Pete

The same thing happened on my 2013 order.

Great business model, isn't it? I was very disappointed in Ford when they refused to help, and I will NEVER again set foot in Phil Long Chapel Hills.

Thankfully, we both ended up with the cars we wanted, even if some extra wait and a bit of inconvenience were involved.

Thanks to all for your comments and feedback. Due to the circumstances of my deal, I am really not concerned that the car is actually ordered but just that it was ordered correctly. If this was a big city dealer where I am just a number to them I would agree that if there is no deposit placed or a contract stating selling price of the Shelby they could ask anything once it gets here. However, this is a small town Ford dealer, where I have bought several vehicles before, with 3 other stores within 40 miles that one would assume they can use an allocation from if the local store has used all theirs. Plus the price has been established, hand shake deal.

The circumstances are; the salesman / finance manger is my cousin and he knows from previous deals that my credit is good. I asked if he needed a deposit but he said no. We are doing a multiple car deal where I am trading my 2012 Shelby and 2008 F250 Diesel for the 14 Shelby and a 13 Lincoln for my wife. I would still feel better knowing the right stuff was ordered so I will go in and check about the DORA thing. Thanks for the help. I guess it will take a few weeks before I get a serial number assigned.

Archived