TEAM SHELBY FORUM

test drive

wagge

I drove a boss 2013 and loved it, drove an 11 Shelby and while fast it just seems like a chore. I really need to drive a 13-14 and see how it rides, shifts, clutches, corners and brakes, we know its fast. Is it easy to drive is traffic, park ect...??

but where do you go? its killing me!

I got mine two weeks ago. Coming from a 2012 Mustang GT Brembo, it took a little getting used to. The clutch is different, and the power has to obviously be respected. This is my eighth Mustang, and all but one have been manual transmissions. The 2014 Shelby transmission is a great improvement over the stock GT MT-82. It's too bad that Ford doesn't use the Tremec in the GT. I have not driven a Boss, but the GT500 handles great, brakes are better than the Brembo GT setup, and it is easy to drive in traffic. One difference in city driving is gear selection with the 3:31 rear end. Coming from the 3:73 on the 2012 GT which made me use sixth gear a lot, using sixth gear in the Shelby is almost exclusively for highway driving. On the other hand, using gear 1-4 is much more useable in town. The clutch as is, to me anyway, is fine after getting used to the difference. And like the Pirellis on the Brembo Mustang GT, the Goodyear tires get really hard and slippery when cold.

I'm sure the Boss is a great car, but I wanted the extra emenities that the Boss doesn't have. The only thing that I can't get used to is that I paid more for the Shelby than I did for my house in 1985!

Pete

You will love either the Boss or the new Shelby. I had 6 GTs the last being the 11, then had to have a 12 Boss, then wanted the 13 Boss (slight improvements including Blue Tooth very important to the wife who lives on her cell phone), then when the 13 GT500 came out had to have that one. So loved the Boss's very very much (plus free track day at Millersport) and you find it will be better on the track if you plan to do that...right now still in love with the 662 horses after 2.5 months....it is heavier but handles fine, parking the same as the other Mustangs... but you do have to respect the power and not get too crazy....with the Boss you can get crazy since it doesn't have the power of the new Shelby's Only thing I don't like about the Shelby is that it burns more gas than the Boss, but that is the price I have to pay to have a machine like this...but still get over 20 mpg at sustained 80 mph aint too bad considering all the ponies. BOTTOM LINE: You will not be disappointed with either one. One is stripped down and better on the track and cheaper, and the other is loaded in more ways than one and costs more obviously. You pay for what you get.

But my question remains, where do you go? Maybe I can find a used 13-14 somewhere that I can drive. I don't recall buying anything I could not test out.

Rodders, I am in sorta the same boat as the wife likes the amenities of her G-37 and would not want the Boss as a DD, so it would be a extra car. The Shelby would be the DD even though I kringe of the thought of driving it in Houston, #1 city for road trash and shit coming off trucks and the roads suck.

You will love either the Boss or the new Shelby. I had 6 GTs the last being the 11, then had to have a 12 Boss, then wanted the 13 Boss (slight improvements including Blue Tooth very important to the wife who lives on her cell phone), then when the 13 GT500 came out had to have that one. So loved the Boss's very very much (plus free track day at Millersport) and you find it will be better on the track if you plan to do that...right now still in love with the 662 horses after 2.5 months....it is heavier but handles fine, parking the same as the other Mustangs... but you do have to respect the power and not get too crazy....with the Boss you can get crazy since it doesn't have the power of the new Shelby's Only thing I don't like about the Shelby is that it burns more gas than the Boss, but that is the price I have to pay to have a machine like this...but still get over 20 mpg at sustained 80 mph aint too bad considering all the ponies. BOTTOM LINE: You will not be disappointed with either one. One is stripped down and better on the track and cheaper, and the other is loaded in more ways than one and costs more obviously. You pay for what you get.

I am sure I would and the Boss is a great looking and riding car, I just do not want upgrade fever as I have been that route so many times. That is what makes me nervous about buying the Boss.

Archived