TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Guitar Players Thread

Thanks… I've always been the same way. When I suddenly left the music biz last year to join Shelby after 26 years, people thought I was nuts. To me, it was simple: Why not be able to say you got to do BOTH THINGS in life? LOL...

Jer

Never looked at that way. In that case, you're absolutely right! :clapping:

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started self teaching in July. I can sort of play 6 songs now. One thing I was presented with via the internet early on is to practice the basics every day. 6 months in I am no where good enough to play for anyone, but that's OK. Here is my challenge to myself. Everything else I was ever good at in life, I started out being sort of good at from the beginning. I knew from the start years ago I had no innate ability to play a guitar. I just don't have the dexterity in my hands. One book I read talked about how you can overcome this with lots of practice. That's what I do, everyday. I have a decent set of callouses now! :) And I believe a year or so from now I will be a lot better than I am today. I am enjoying learning the guitar, and I am enjoying learning something new about myself. I have an old Ventura acoustic from the 80's that was given to me by my sister years ago, a Fender acoustic that was given to me by my neighbor, and a Cordoba C7 classical that I bought over the summer.

I understand this completely. I also started self teaching, but about 14 years ago...however I sort of got away from it for about 4 of those years and then returned. So, I now sort of know about 20 songs +/-....and its great enjoyment and sometimes stress relief!

I'll have to dig up my guitar collection pic and post it here...

That's how it works!

I don't believe ANYONE has the innate ability to play guitar. There are some people with no sense of pitch or rhythm, so THEY will not become accomplished musicians, but for everyone else, it takes dedication. If you ENJOY it, the dedication comes easier!

Jer

Dedication is the key, used to play all the time in my teens and twenties. Several bands, some traveling gigs. Set it aside for the "real job" after marriage, after 25 years tried to pick it back up, and can only remember the rudimentary stuff. A few good blues rifs to keep me happy, but I still enjoy playing. Miss my late 60's SG special, and custom strat though.

Dedication is the key, used to play all the time in my teens and twenties. Several bands, some traveling gigs. Set it aside for the "real job" after marriage, after 25 years tried to pick it back up, and can only remember the rudimentary stuff. A few good blues rifs to keep me happy, but I still enjoy playing. Miss my late 60's SG special, and custom strat though.

Same here. Collection was up to a dozen axes about 30 years ago, now half of that. My mind knows all the riffs, but the dexterity sucks when you passing the Medicare years. These 12 strings are a challenge to work with and change strings. Wish I had the '66 Fender Jag back, but it went to a much better player. Rickenbacker 360-12 in for rehab. The Martin, Gibson guitars, banjos and other toys could use the same after all these years. I can only spend time with the nylon string stuff for now. Even the old Marin ukulele makes it possible for the lazy hands to get back into shape. Of course, it takes away from some of the fun driving time, but it is all good! I have to avoid the guitar shops as it makes me want to recharge the collection and that is no longer a good idea. :cool:

Nice Thread!!! Well guys, I've been playing for oh....bout 33 years or so. On and off for awhile when I was starting up the fam but for the past 10 years or so it's been my true addiction. Started kind of collecting a few rare ones a few years back. I work quite a bit during the summer months so the guitars get neglected until winter time. A seasonal job means basically I get 3-4 months vacation so that's when I dust em off and get to work! I've done my own recordings on a DAW for quite a few years as well. Just last year picked up an Axe FXII so I don't have to worry about lugging amps around and whatnot. If you haven't looked into one, you should! At any rate, here's a few pics of my world of guitars...Jer, I see you've got a few Ibanez in your collection. A DNA, LNG etc... Those are nice for sure! I own nothing but Ibanez guitars. For whatever reason, I just love em! And out of the 11 I own, there are 2 I'm really proud to own. One is an RG7-CST (1 of 18), the other an RG7-CT (1 of 24). Nice to know there are many others here plucking away!

First pic is mainly to show my RG7620 and RG7420 (the blonde maple tops). Those are my "project" guitars that actually play as well as my CST or Universe. The 7420 on the right is fitted with a sustainac sustainer.

MyRG-7CT009.jpg

Next are my three (now two) babies... The middle a very rare RG7-CST (piezo bridge), the two flanking RG7-CT (non-piezo). I have since sold the lower one.

009.jpg

This is just a general pic of all the guitar madness that was going on at one time...

DSC01498.jpg

my custom swirl (neck by ETguitars)

DSC02144.jpg

Here's my new winter project (neck is being shipped as I type this)

DSC02442.jpg

And finally, one of my only 6-strings!, a 96' first run J-Custom 1502

DSC00145_zpsd78ca09e.jpg

lol, so what you guys have learned here is that I have a "thing" for flamed maple if anything! At any rate, I also had a low production number Steve Vai model Universe Pwh which I just sold as well. This darn Shelby of mine is convincing me to downsize my guitar collection slowly but surely!!! Glad to share my collection with my fellow Shelby owners!

Nice Thread!!! Well guys, I've been playing for oh....bout 33 years or so. On and off for awhile when I was starting up the fam but for the past 10 years or so it's been my true addiction. Started kind of collecting a few rare ones a few years back. I work quite a bit during the summer months so the guitars get neglected until winter time. A seasonal job means basically I get 3-4 months vacation so that's when I dust em off and get to work! I've done my own recordings on a DAW for quite a few years as well. Just last year picked up an Axe FXII so I don't have to worry about lugging amps around and whatnot. If you haven't looked into one, you should! At any rate, here's a few pics of my world of guitars...Jer, I see you've got a few Ibanez in your collection. A DNA, LNG etc... Those are nice for sure! I own nothing but Ibanez guitars. For whatever reason, I just love em! And out of the 11 I own, there are 2 I'm really proud to own. One is an RG7-CST (1 of 18), the other an RG7-CT (1 of 24). Nice to know there are many others here plucking away!

First pic is mainly to show my RG7620 and RG7420 (the blonde maple tops). Those are my "project" guitars that actually play as well as my CST or Universe. The 7420 on the right is fitted with a sustainac sustainer.

MyRG-7CT009.jpg

Next are my three (now two) babies... The middle a very rare RG7-CST (piezo bridge), the two flanking RG7-CT (non-piezo). I have since sold the lower one.

009.jpg

This is just a general pic of all the guitar madness that was going on at one time...

DSC01498.jpg

my custom swirl (neck by ETguitars)

DSC02144.jpg

Here's my new winter project (neck is being shipped as I type this)

DSC02442.jpg

And finally, one of my only 6-strings!, a 96' first run J-Custom 1502

DSC00145_zpsd78ca09e.jpg

lol, so what you guys have learned here is that I have a "thing" for flamed maple if anything! At any rate, I also had a low production number Steve Vai model Universe Pwh which I just sold as well. This darn Shelby of mine is convincing me to downsize my guitar collection slowly but surely!!! Glad to share my collection with my fellow Shelby owners!

Some of those tops are frickin' GORGEOUS! :drool: I think they look much better on the Ibanez guitars as opposed to a Les Paul. Most of the time I like the bigger grain on a Les Paul. You also have some very unique looking tops as well. There's just something about guitars, call it sexy, cool, whatever, a good looking guitar ALWAYS makes me smile! :clapping:

I truely appreciate the comments! The two "blonde" topped guitars I did myself with 1/42 veneer. They're my project guitars I try different things on. The only top I wish was better is the purple one. Early J-Customs didn't have the "pop out at you" flamed maple tops, and that's too bad.

The late 90's - earliy 2000s "Prestige" Ibanez guitars had good flametops… my RG3120s were both great. I had a Red and a Twilight Blue, but the Red one won out, the Blue never got played, so it ended up being sold (before I posted that Facebook album). I also had one with a piezo rig, natural binding, forget the model number right now… push/pull pots, Cosmo Black hardware...

Ibanez worked with me on a few models, I was a consultant for a stretch… I'll post those stories later...

Jer

I believe you are referring to the RG2120x model Jer?? LOVE the 3120's, all are beautiful but to try and find one nowadays without the horn/edge chips is next to near impossible. That is the bad thing about natural tops, you've gotta have a pretty damn good luthier who can fix those type of chips. Mine (so far) are all "chipless". One has a factory clear coat flaw and that's it.

I believe you are referring to the RG2120x model Jer?? LOVE the 3120's, all are beautiful but to try and find one nowadays without the horn/edge chips is next to near impossible. That is the bad thing about natural tops, you've gotta have a pretty damn good luthier who can fix those type of chips. Mine (so far) are all "chipless". One has a factory clear coat flaw and that's it.

Yup! That's the one… cool guitar, I had a Blue one… but I preferred my 3120 so much more, I sold the 2120X.

PRS tops are always "to die for!" On top of that, great guitars to play for sure.

Rich Hannon, the guy who used to run PRS' paint shop, and is now their Artist Relations and Development person, is a TS member (badkalifornia) with a nice black '07 Shelby GT, Deep Draw hood... Small world, eh?

Je

Rich Hannon, the guy who used to run PRS' paint shop, and is now their Artist Relations and Development person, is a TS member (badkalifornia) with a nice black '07 Shelby GT, Deep Draw hood... Small world, eh?

Je

Ok now that's just really awesome! I've been going to do that PRS Guitars open house / tour thing for awhile down in Annapolis. Another good reason for a Shelby GT road trip!

• 3 weeks later...

I've been playing since about 1983.

Was a full time touring musician in the early 90's for about three years and then have just been a weekend warrior ever since (darned kids and responsibilty :-) )

Still very passionate about making music.

I started playing as a kid and played hard until after high school and had to go to work. Now just on occasion with old friends. I still have a JB Player strat and a Gibson Flying Vee.

Gibson Flying V is celebrating its 50th anniv. I think?

• 2 weeks later...

Spending the weekend hanging with 100,000 of my best friends at the NAMM show in Anaheim. I got passes from a local guitar shop. My son and I are having a great time. It is sensory overload.

Random personalities all over the place.

Albert Lee takes a break from getting pounded by fans.

photo_zps6090f5a3.jpg

Awesome!

I've been to MANY NAMM shows, but haven't gone in 2 years. I'm about due, and it would be nice to go strictly for the fun of it, with no business to conduct!

Jer

• 1 month later...

Nice, need some specs and a story...

This is a 2012 PRS Grand-Am Trophy Guitar. In 2010 PRS began working with the Rolex Grand-Am series to give these guitars to racing class winners at Rolex series events. Each year, so far as I've been able to determine, a new trophy guitar is made. These have generally been the "SE" models (Korean made to PRS specs), I believe.

Here are a couple of articles...

http://www.guitar-planet.co.uk/guitarnews/prs-grand-am-2012/

http://www.pr ing.net/prs-trophy-guitars-commemorate-grand-am-rolex-race-winners/

http://www.pr ing.net/

http://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/news/story/prs_guitars_and_grand_am_road_racing_add_exciting_new_elements_for_the_part

http://www.guitaraficionado.com/prs-creates-custom-painted-prs-se-grand-am-trophy-guitar.html

Thanks - and I gotta tell you all, this PRS SE is a REALLY great sounding and playable guitar! Great value!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm "realigning my collection", in case anyone needs a nice acoustic... this one's a killer, just not what I need right now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-USA-Gibson-Dove-Acoustic-Guitar-with-Case-NO-RESERVE-/271433081173?pt=Guitar&hash=item3f32ac2155

Jer

I'm "realigning my collection", in case anyone needs a nice acoustic... this one's a killer, just not what I need right now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-USA-Gibson-Dove-Acoustic-Guitar-with-Case-NO-RESERVE-/271433081173?pt=Guitar&hash=item3f32ac2155

Jer

Nice Jer! If I hadn't just bought 3.....

• 1 month later...

All the Jer talk got me thinking of this thread again...

Just bought this funky little woody style amp for $100. I couldn’t resist. Yamaha G5 7 watt solid state amp with a real spring reverb. These were made from 1980 -82.

Even has a headphone jack in the rear for quiet practice time. :donald_farr:

photo_zpse4e30827.jpg

Archived