TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shifter bushing upgrade

Ordered/received the upgrade kit. My friend Mike, (currently rebuilding/modifying a '69 vette, and from a big family of gear-heads) VOLUNTEERED to help me (MR. NON-mechanic), to do the work.

Ordered the shop manual (Ebay), yesterday, to be safe. He wanst to make sure we have the correct torque specs/etc., but, as advised on the other boards, if I plan on keeping the car for any length of time, it's good to have the shop manual!

• 1 month later...

Is it the Great Lakes Hotrods heim joint kit that you had installed? I've heard good things about it. Mine is sitting in my garage all ready to go, just waiting for me to get around to exchanging the rods.

Is it the Great Lakes Hotrods heim joint kit that you had installed? I've heard good things about it. Mine is sitting in my garage all ready to go, just waiting for me to get around to exchanging the rods.

Yes, that's the one! I had the local speed shop perform the work, as I am not a mechanic...(I know...I whimped out)!

I had Motorhead153 do all of the work installing the heim joints, I just need to swap my old style rods over to the converted ones. I'm looking forward to the change, I've heard from several people that have switched over and they swear by them.

I had Motorhead153 do all of the work installing the heim joints, I just need to swap my old style rods over to the converted ones. I'm looking forward to the change, I've heard from several people that have switched over and they swear by them.

Went to a local show, last night, 1st time out on the highway since the upgrade...WOW! Like a different car! No more accidentally downshifting to 3rd when you THINK you're pushing into 5th! (Then there's the reverse instead of 1st scary trick...)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I had Great Lakes Hot Rod upgrade my linkage. I sent them my parts and they did an outstanding job making the orginal brackets look new again. Great workmanship too. The linkage works great. Dont have to worry about the main pivot bushing coming apart ever again. I recommend this if you havent already upgraded.

NewShiftLinkageUpgrade_zpse0b2cf86.jpg

Archived