TEAM SHELBY FORUM

interesting door jamb find

ITHERTZ66

did anybody else find these grease pencil marking on their driver's door? There is also a sticker similar to the old school oil change data logs. This one looks to be a "repair" log. Not sure if this was done while in fleet service or what? There is one entry, but I can't make it out. Does anybody have similar markings on their cars?

IMG_20130407_153118.jpgIMG_20130407_153123.jpg

I wonder about the June 14 date. Perhaps it was the date it arrived at LAX? Based on my paperwork, this is what I know about the car:

The car was delivered on 6-2-06 and went through the Pre Delivery Service checklist from Ford on 6-5-06. The Mustang was sold to Santa Monica Ford/Hertz Corporation and drop shipped to Hertz RAC – Las Vegas. It was assembled in Flat Rock. MI. Shelby Autos prepared an invoice for the GT-H conversion on 6-2-06 for $8,046. An adjustment invoice was prepared to Hertz from Ford for the Mustang on 7-18-06

Troy haven't seen that on #352. If it was on ours I think I would have seen it by now. Can't wait for more replies to your question.

Troy..........according to your car's historical timeline, 6/14/06 is the date 06h229 was registered in LA, beginning it's rental service. About half of LA's cars were processed into the system in the mid-June time frame. Maybe the date was written there simply as an aid to the Hertz yard folks who were shuttling the cars around, installing license plates and getting them ready to rent. (??) As for the repair sticker...your car went through the auction Aug 10, 2007. Looking closely at the date on the sticker, it could be 7/21/07??....might it have been a "documentation" by Hertz that an inspection was performed just prior to it's being shipped to the auction? Or the auction house's documentation that they performed some kind of inspection prior to it's crossing the block??

After some googling, I found that PO300, 301 and 308 are also OBD trouble codes for some sort of engine/cylinder misfires. Maybe that was it? Perhaps some loose wiring/bad plug/coil pack? I wonder if my car retains a log of all the diagnostic codes and if it can be reset or not.

i owned a 2000 gt that was a rental vehicle that had a barcode like that. maybe its from when it was a rental at hertz as a was they inventoried their cars?

Guys........barcode decals were utilized by Hertz. Each car's barcode was specific to that car and were used primarily for inventory and check in/out purposes. The decals could be found in a number of different locations on the car.......lower right corner of windshield, right or left rear quarter window, drivers door window or along the door's edge and even inside the gas tank filler door. Those of you fortunate to have found the white plastic "DO NOT REMOVE" bag in the trunk of your car, may have found a few spare barcode decals. That was the common storage place for spare decals needed by the Hertz associates when replacing those gone missing. Below is a photo of one of the Boston rentals from back in the day. Look closely, you can see a barcode decal in the rear quarter window.

2006+Hertz+8.jpg

2006+Hertz+8.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Harald I may have saw your car in person if it was rented out of LV. Being from MI we flew in and tried to rent one Back in 2006. They told me they were all spoken for so I got a 6 cylinder convertible to drive instead. Later that day we were at In and out burger right off the strip and a GT-H pulled in. I talked to the guy driving and it turns out he was a editor for a car magazine and he was out beating on the car. I begged for a ride but he said he had to get back to the airport to catch his flight back to L.A. He did however let her rip out of the parking lot when he left. I did'nt catch the CSM# on the car he was driving. There were probably 10 or 12 of them at the airport the day we were there. Suprisingly when we returned the 6 shooter the next day they were all still sitting in the same spots. Must be they didnt like the way I looked or something. lol. I did the factory tour while the 06 Models were being produced. I didnt pay much attention to the numbers on the cars I looked at as at that time it was just one of my "Crackpipe Dreams" to own one. Who knew two years later I would. I did get some pics at the airport with me standing by a few GT-H's but numbers are unknown. If I would have known then what I know now..........

James

When the dealer originally sent me pictures of car 102, this picture was there. I was pretty confused by it.

102doorjamb_zps92b2ff7c.jpg

After I flew from Denver to Indiana to pick it up and bring it home, I found this behind the air filter and it answered some questions:

102behindfilter_zps163533f0.jpg

I learned that in my car's rental history, Agent 47 racing out of LA rented my car for part designing for Shelby GT's. They placed the stickers there when they rented the car. After I contacted them, they were pretty amused that the stickers were still attached to the car. Of course they still are today!

This photo from Agent 47's web site is of my actual car when they rented it:

102Agent47pic_zpsc50ecee0.gif

Sure enough, when I pulled my grille pieces when I installed my lower grille, I found that my nose had been cut out for the fitment of these ducts.

Shelbygrillepics003_zps2c0d041e.jpg

JeffJ - thanks for sharing that. What a cool bit of history - definitely worth documenting. I can't believe they did those things to a rental car - was Hertz aware of any of that? You have since replaced that bumper and it's hanging in your garage, right?

I find the grill ornament positioning interesting in that rental period photo as well as the apparent lack of front bumper license plate bracket/holes.

JeffJ - thanks for sharing that. What a cool bit of history - definitely worth documenting. I can't believe they did those things to a rental car - was Hertz aware of any of that? You have since replaced that bumper and it's hanging in your garage, right?

I find the grill ornament positioning interesting in that rental period photo as well as the apparent lack of front bumper license plate bracket/holes.

Of course Hertz knew about it....ha....ha..... :hysterical2: . Yep, this bumper is hanging in my garage.

You're right, it is odd that it looks like the mustang badge is down one grille rung and farther to the left than it should be in that photo. I wonder if they were sometimes positioned incorrectly at Shelby or if that was moved during it's rental days? Odd. Seeing as it was all manual at Shelby, it wouldn't be out of the question that they might not have been the same every time.

Harald I may have saw your car in person if it was rented out of LV. Being from MI we flew in and tried to rent one Back in 2006. They told me they were all spoken for so I got a 6 cylinder convertible to drive instead. Later that day we were at In and out burger right off the strip and a GT-H pulled in. I talked to the guy driving and it turns out he was a editor for a car magazine and he was out beating on the car. I begged for a ride but he said he had to get back to the airport to catch his flight back to L.A. He did however let her rip out of the parking lot when he left. I did'nt catch the CSM# on the car he was driving. There were probably 10 or 12 of them at the airport the day we were there. Suprisingly when we returned the 6 shooter the next day they were all still sitting in the same spots. Must be they didnt like the way I looked or something. lol. I did the factory tour while the 06 Models were being produced. I didnt pay much attention to the numbers on the cars I looked at as at that time it was just one of my "Crackpipe Dreams" to own one. Who knew two years later I would. I did get some pics at the airport with me standing by a few GT-H's but numbers are unknown. If I would have known then what I know now..........

James

Would not surprise me. There are a few U tube videos of 06H0050 in Vegas. Wish the car could talk.

I added to the future story of this car. This 1966 Hertz GT-350-H wheel cap decal was placed on the driver side door jam shortly after I bought the car. Thought they would look tacky on the Shelby wheel caps of the CS 69s so I put one inside the door jam. Sorry picture is sideways. Only way it will post.

Hertz bar code is in two locations. One on the drivers side lower corner of dash near vin and one on the gas cap access door.

Door Jam 1966 Hertz wheel decal.jpg

Door Jam 1966 Hertz wheel decal.jpg

Archived