TEAM SHELBY FORUM

is the SVT performance package worth it?

blk12svt

In Jan '12 I bought a 2012 SVT PP mainly because of the wheels and lower gear ratio. I realize that the SVTPP also brings a few differnt suspension upgrades but since I have no plans to track the car I am wondering if not having the PP will be noticleable on the street. Reason I ask is I have my dealer looking for a new 13 or 14 but they all seem to have both the PP and the track pack with all the coolers which I definitly don't need. This has made me wonder if just the base 13-14 car will handle noticably different than my 12 with the PP. I am thinking about some aftermarket wheels anyway so beginning to question wheather even the PP, if I could find one with only that, is even worth the 3K or so. My 12 only has 1200 miles but regretting I didn't wait on a 13 now...

The SVT package has cool rims, and has the ability to change the shocks and struts on the fly( very cool if you find yourself on twisty mountain road). The track pack would be good if you want to head up the grape vine passing cars like they are standing still in 100 F temps. Besides the more options you have on car the more $$ it will retain. The 13s are cool but you still need to put another 10K into them to make them handle and stop even with the SVT package.

Thanks to all for the feedback. I finally got some numbers back from the dealer yesterday to work with and was floored when he said he would sell me a 14, that I can order the way I want, for $2365 under sticker. I was expecting to have to pay sticker. So I guess considering that I'll go ahead and opt for the PP but let them keep the coolers AND the car cover as he said I could just keep the one I have which is still in the bag.

I am basically a 5 spoke kind of guy too but the SVT wheels really grew on me after getting the 12 and if I did change wheels on a 14 it would be something similar to the SVT only blacker... I didn't realize there was a difference in the differential with the PP. That's reason enough right there to get that option. Thanks

Thanks to all for the feedback. I finally got some numbers back from the dealer yesterday to work with and was floored when he said he would sell me a 14, that I can order the way I want, for $2365 under sticker. I was expecting to have to pay sticker. So I guess considering that I'll go ahead and opt for the PP but let them keep the coolers AND the car cover as he said I could just keep the one I have which is still in the bag.

that's an amazing deal, you should jump on it.

just the coolers alone are worth every dime of the money spent,, PROTECTION from breakdowns , if something over heats and blows up going down the road, without it , it's too late.. saves walking....and a wrecker

Coolers are included in the Track Pack, not the Performance Pack about which the OP asked.

that's an amazing deal, you should jump on it.

x2.

I ordered a white/black stripe yesterday with SVT PP, Recaros and nothing else. Happy about the price but not too happy with the trade value of my 12 at 42K with only 1200 miles.... Wife doesn't know it yet but wheels are turning in my head to find a way to keep the 12. I love that one too. When I look at the 12 then look at my old Cobra Jet car sitting there and ask myself, which one, the Shelby wins so thinking about parting with the CJ. Suffice to say I am really smitten with these new ones and never dreamed I would be willing to sacrifice a CJ but...

I ordered a white/black stripe yesterday with SVT PP, Recaros and nothing else. Happy about the price but not too happy with the trade value of my 12 at 42K with only 1200 miles.... Wife doesn't know it yet but wheels are turning in my head to find a way to keep the 12. I love that one too. When I look at the 12 then look at my old Cobra Jet car sitting there and ask myself, which one, the Shelby wins so thinking about parting with the CJ. Suffice to say I am really smitten with these new ones and never dreamed I would be willing to sacrifice a CJ but...

I am glad to hear someone feels the way I do! I love the new ones and really pine for a new Boss 302 Laguna Seca. I look at my 67 GT500 which I have have loved and see a new Boss sitting in the corner of the shed beside the 2010 GT 500. Parting with the 67 would make it financially easier but put me in an emotional conundrum.

Emotional conundrum...I couldn't agree more. Prior to Nov '11, I had previously never really paid much attention to the new ones till an unexpected offer to test drive a GT500 one day while I was there getting an oil change. Now these new cars have really complicated things.

For 40 years I wanted a plain Jane 70 non-Mach 428 Sportsroof but they are so rare that every time I saw one it was either a basker case or priced in the stratosphere. I finally found one in 08 but now thinking about letting it go. It is one of 13 Q code SCJ's with the W code 4.30 rear and one of only two that were yellow, which matches my yellow 70 Boss 302 also a 4.30 car, which further complicates letting the CJ go.

But, the CJ is an ex drag car that needs 50K spent to return it to concours specs and I am thinking why do that when I could just keep the black Shelby with 550 HP and air conditioning, and have money left over.

I hear ya! I have had the 67 500 for around 13 years, had loads of fun with it. It is curious, your friends are always the ones making the decisions for you. "You don't want to ever sell that one, do you?" Well, no kids to give it to so why not? I will know when the time is right!

• 2 weeks later...

I just sold my restored 70 Boss 302..calypso orange/black..owned since 98..thought I would never sell it but now I have a 13 gt500 and a 94 lightning pick up in its place. I miss the fact that I could tell someone I did all the work myself on it and see the finished product. But at the same time I was sick of loading it in a trailer to go car showing. Most of the shows in my area were lame anyway and seldom did my B2 beat the 68 Camaro with the Summit racing valve covers..anyway I wouldn't trade back..I have the baddest performance Mustang ever built(my opinion) and I've owned two 69 CJ Mach 1's..These new cars are amazing!..still love the old ones..

Archived