TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Stripe removal

there have been a few threads about removing the stripe's on the Shelby's some one posted a link to a place that sell's a chemical that you brush on and make's removal easier!

if someone has the web address could you post it

thanks JIM

You can NOT use the vinyl erasers on any of your plastic parts (that means front and rear fascia/bumpers). My car was destroyed by the previous owner's attempts to remove the vinyl and had to be repainted. Good luck. You may want to hire a professional, but be warned - it's time consuming ($). If you get it all off, I would go with paint rather than new vinyl again or you will be having the same problem down the road.

thanks for the input guy's i ordered the vynle off from . im going to paint stripes back on read my post color change . it will explain in a little more detail \\

thank again

JIM

• 1 month later...

a little up date had a big bump in the road just getting back on the car.the vynle eraser is the only i found that works . did the trunck lid in about a hour .

going to do a section at a time silver stripe . then when all cleared ill do the red CF look and reclear the whole car again

a little up date had a big bump in the road just getting back on the car.the vynle eraser is the only i found that works . did the trunck lid in about a hour .

going to do a section at a time silver stripe . then when all cleared ill do the red CF look and reclear the whole car again

Glad to hear you're doing better Jim and are back to working on Donna's car!

Dan

thanks Dan Donna and her Brother are doing all the grunt work im supervising . cheap labor NOT....

Halsey how old are the stripes and whats the wattage/brand of the lamp . good idea ill have to try it

JIM

If in fact you are at less than 135F at the surface with the heat lamp, then that should be NO problem for plastic bumpers.

OEM 2k urethanes cure for 30 minute at 180F with no issues whatsoever at the bumper plants during the factory paint application. The plastic easily withstands the temperature with no problems.

As a matter of general reference, keep the following in mind. There is a fairly simple way for most humans to detect over/under 135F. Under 135F, you can hold your hand on the surface indefinitely with only mild discomfort. Over 135F, you will likely have to quickly remove your hand due to the burning sensation. This is a quick trick that industry insiders use in several manufacturing fields, including OEM painting.

• 2 weeks later...

ok guys here goes the trunk is done stripe painted and put back together! along with painted black mirror housing's and painted mirror caps that look like candy apple red carbon fiber over the black mirror covers .really pops in the sun .ill start on the roof sometime next week glass stays in and there will be no paint ridge .just a little extra work but it can be done thanks Jim

Archived