TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2009 Upgrades

It was time to get a new clutch and flywheel. So I decided on the McLeod RST kit and since I was doing that decided to get the Whipple 170mm Mono Block throttle body, Metco 2.6 Supercharger Pulley. I already have a Steeda CAI with a tune putting 525 to the rear wheels. With these new upgrades what kind of HP increase can I expect with a tune? I am thinking somewhere in the 625-650 rear wheel horse power range. Do does this seem reasonable or am I way off?

Sounds a little high if that is still your stock blower, probably more like that at the crank, so at the back you would loose around 12%.

If you want to be at 650 rwhp or higher, a VMP 2.3L TVS and elbow will definitely put you there.

If you don't want to go that far yet, a good choice would be one of the new 2.5" pulleys that fit any GT500 blower.

Also, large monoblades might not be the best choice for the street, the dual 65mm Cobra Jet TB might be a better street/strip choice.

I ended up going to a dual 72mm TB and am getting great performance and driveablity, drives just like stock until you put your foot into it :)

Agree with msb64. If you want to retain the OEM Eaton blower, IMHO your best bet is to send it to Stegemeier (sp?) to have it ported - then 600whp might be within reach, but heat and airflow will remain your enemies. If you plan to take the car further, then bite the bullet and upgrade to the VMP TVS setup or a Whipple (or KB), at which point you may want to consider upgrading the rotating assembly & fuel system depending on your ultimate goals.

Can you explain more in depth why the mono blade TB may be a bad choice? Does it take away from everyday drive ability? I do drive it as a daily driver and don't want some thing that will make it in bearable to drive. I also enjoy the spirited drive crime time to time as we all do. But just don't know enough about certain engine mods and there effects. Any help is great. I'm trying to get enough HP to be fun without compromising it as a daily driver.

Most of the issues I have seen have stated low rpm/part throttle/normal driving was not good with the monoblades compared to a twin TB.

You also have to keep in mind that bigger is not always better, you need the right piece for your application, and I believe the twin TB is the best of both worlds for most people.

The best approach to the upgrade path is to figure how much you want to spend, what you want to do with the car and how far you are willing to go with the mods, that way you can choose the best bang for the buck mods.

I chose to keep my car an essentially street car with occaisional drag strip use, and don't want to take it too far and make it too rigid, noisy or have unwanted excessive vibration.

It is not hard to get enough power into these things into the high 10s @ 125mph+ without doing anything radical to the car, and for me that is quick enough.

Getting them to hook up and be able to use all your torque and HP is another matter though :)

List what you have, what you want to do with the car and what you are willing to spend, and you should be able to get plenty of good responses.

Another good option is to contact one of the good site sponsers like VMP for their recommendation, but it always helps to do your homework first so you know what questions to ask them.

Also keep in mind that you don't have to do everything at once, I like to make a few changes myself every season and enjoying installing whatever I can myself.

I can honestly say that I have not regretted any mods that I have done so far, my car still drives as smooth and quiet as it did when brand new, but now runs in the low 11s with the full stock exhaust and gears.

Well after talking with the folks at Shelby Performance decided to not get the TB, and went with the heat exchanger since I live in the high desert with summer right around the corner. I just need to do more research on the TB before going that route. Thanks for the info so far.

Archived