TEAM SHELBY FORUM

car storage

Just got my 65` vert 65` G.T coupe out of storage,where I have stored my cars for several years without incident. Seems that the mice decided to move in & build a nest & poop all over the vert plus they ate the head liner on trhe G.T. Now they say if you use Bounce sheets or mothballs it keeps mice away` WRONG ` I had both in each car & it looks like they had a party in both cars. Talk about being pi$$ed Off .Any suggestions?

Just got my 65` vert 65` G.T coupe out of storage,where I have stored my cars for several years without incident. Seems that the mice decided to move in & build a nest & poop all over the vert plus they ate the head liner on trhe G.T. Now they say if you use Bounce sheets or mothballs it keeps mice away` WRONG ` I had both in each car & it looks like they had a party in both cars. Talk about being pi$$ed Off .Any suggestions?

I hope someone has a good suggestion because they get in my cars that I don't drive alot too. (Watch how many guys tell us we need to drive them more). :banghead: I hate driving when a dern mouse runs up your britches leg!!!!!! :hysterical2::hysterical2:

I hope someone has a good suggestion because they get in my cars that I don't drive alot too. (Watch how many guys tell us we need to drive them more). :banghead: I hate driving when a dern mouse runs up your britches leg!!!!!! :hysterical2::hysterical2:

:hysterical2::hysterical2::hysterical2: Yeah spent 2 hours getting the nest out of heater box sucked up to little ones gone to mouse heaven

Well, here's an idea...take it or leave it. Get four "tubs" of some type that your tires/wheels will sit in. jack the car up and lower the wheels into these "tubs". THen fill them with 2" or so of water. THe only way the mice will be able to get to the car is to swim...which I doubt they would do.

I've never tried it before...but it might work.

Another idea would be to park on wooden boards and coat them with something mice would hate...I dunno...motor oil or pepper or something...do some research on the internet to find out what mice don't like.

Just a few ideas for you.

Dave

Well, here's an idea...take it or leave it. Get four "tubs" of some type that your tires/wheels will sit in. jack the car up and lower the wheels into these "tubs". THen fill them with 2" or so of water. THe only way the mice will be able to get to the car is to swim...which I doubt they would do.

I've never tried it before...but it might work.

Another idea would be to park on wooden boards and coat them with something mice would hate...I dunno...motor oil or pepper or something...do some research on the internet to find out what mice don't like.

Just a few ideas for you.

Dave

The only problem with the water trick as it gets cold here & once it freezes they will skate over to the car, guess I could add some anti -freeze.

CAR CAPSULE

http://www.car-capsule.net/

I got 2 of them, 1 for my 69 GT350 and 1 for my 07 GT500.

I've had the one for my 69 for about 6 years and absolutely no mice issues.

For long term or winter storage CAR CAPSULES are the only way to go.

Alan

Well I tried....keep thinking. :idea:

Get a cat or two....We've lived in the country for 13 years and I've only seen one mouse in our garage. Our cat chased it in there for sport and played around with it until she got bored (or hungry)...you know the rest. :chairshot:

Only problem is that once in a while they decide to climb up and sleep on my Harley or now my convertable top. This can be solved though, Cat's are easier to train than mice :hysterical2:

I have a 65 coupe that I store in an airplane hanger. A pack rat got into the engine compartment and jam packed the area between the intake manifold and the air cleaner with all kinds of vegetation. Weeds, gourds, grass, sticks- you name it. Not to mention a ton of sh*t all over the place. Anyway, I took it down the car wash and got it all cleaned out. I then covered the car with a big plastic tarp, that touched the ground all the way around. Hasn't been back so far....

As far as mouse poop- it can contain the Hanta virus, which if aerosolized, and inhaled can kill you. It killed the son of someone I know who had cleaned out a barn, and died a day or two later.

Great idea, what happens when you have a power interuption will it stay inflated???

I don't have any interest in CAR CAPSULE, I am just passing on info of a great product. I have 2 of them and I wouldn't think of storing my cars without them.

I did a copy and paste from their web site of F.A.Q.

I hi-lited your question in red, Hope this helps

Alan

Car Capsule Info & F.A.Q.

Features, Advantages & Benefits of CarCapsule

Continuous Air Flow:

• Evaporative storage keeps your car dry, prevents corrosion, mildew and musty odors

• Temperature remains constant, is always equal

• Air changes 3-4 times per hour

• Under humid conditions, opening the zipper 6" will increase air flow. (Condensation only occurs when hot and cold air masses meet. CarCapsule does not permit condensation by providing continuous air flow and fresh air exchange inside the bubble.

More info & F.A.Q.

Filtered Air:

• Keeps your vehicle in Show Condition

• Filter is washable with mild soap solution

• Keeps your vehicle Insect Free

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Clear Inflated Bubble:

• Allows you to enjoy and show your car

• Protects against accidental damage from bikes, brooms, etc.

• Material is 8 mil double polished 100% PVC

Car Capsule FAQ's

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q.) If you are bringing in the air from the outside you are also bringing in the moisture from the outside. How does the vehicle stay dry?

A.) The CarCapsule does not eliminate humidity it eliminates condensation. The fan exchanges the air by volume 3-4 times an hour. This constant air change and air flow does not allow hot air and cold masses to meet. This in turn eliminates condensation and keeps the vehicle completely dry no matter what the temperature or humidity level.

Q.) If I put my car away wet, what will happen?

A.) The CarCapsule is an evaporative system. The constant air change will evaporate all moisture in a matter of hours. This will prevent rust from the exterior parts while eliminating mold and mildew from the interior.

Q.) Should I leave the windows up or down inside the CarCapsule?

A.) You should leave the windows either down all the way or at least half the way down. If you have a convertible the top should be put up so that it will not trap moisture in the compartment it is stored in. This will let the air circulate throughout the interior keeping it dry and odor free.

Q.) How much room does the CarCapsule take up?

A.) Once inflated the CarCapsule takes up about 1 foot on either side of the vehicle. The front and back depend on what size CarCapsule is used.

Q.) How do you get the vehicle in the CarCapsule?

A.) The CarCapsule has 2 zippers that run around the base mat to the back where the fan is located. Just unzip and roll the upper shroud towards the fan. Pull the vehicle on to the base mat and roll the upper shroud over the vehicle. Zip up the unit and plug in the fan. The CarCapsule takes about 5-10 minutes to inflate.

Q.) What happens if I get a hole in it?

A.) The upper shroud is made of 10 mil PVC. If you do happen to puncture the unit, use a piece of clear 100% PVC shipping tape. This will bond to the upper shroud and will not come off.

Q.) What if the power goes out?

A.) The cover will deflate and turn into a regular car cover. When the power returns it will re-inflate in a matter of minutes. We do have a cigarette lighter adapter cord that can be run off of a 12 volt power supply for prolonged power disruptions or for use at car shows.

Q.) Do you have a CarCapsule that will fit my pick-up truck?

A.) Yes, we make a CarCapsule that is tall enough to fit full size trucks and S.U.V.'s. We also make an extended version that will fit most older cars like Packard, Rolls Royce and Cadillac.

Q.) Do you need to use another cover with the CarCapsule?

A.) You do not need to use another cover with the CarCapsule. This will only block air from circulating in the interior and might trap moisture.

Q.) Can the CarCapsule be used for short-term storage?

A.) The CarCapsule can be used for short-term, long-term or anything in between. It takes about the same time to use as a regular car cover except for the inflating of the unit. It takes about a couple of minutes to get the car out.

Q.) Do you have to drain the gas tank or any other fluids before you put the vehicle away?

A.) No, the base mat is impervious to gas, diesel, oil or antifreeze. You do not have to worry about these odors because the air is constantly changing.

Q.) Do you have to use any dry packs or chemicals to keep the vehicle dry?

A.) No, dry packs or chemicals are not needed. This is an evaporative system that uses air flow to prevent condensation. This enables you to take your vehicle in and out anytime you want without having to mess with chemicals or dry packs.

Q.) Will the CarCapsule protect my vehicle from rodents?

A.) The 55 T-Bird on our web site and literature has been stored in an unheated warehouse in the Midwest for 7 years. We have not had a problem with any kind of critters chewing through the material. This car looks as good now as it did when we first put it in the CarCapsule.

Q.) How long will the CarCapsule last?

A.) The prototypes were built in 1988 and are still in use today.

Q.) What if something falls on the CarCapsule while my vehicle is in it?

A.) We have dropped a five pound sledge hammer on top of the CarCapsule and it just bounced off. It will also protect against rakes or snow shovels that lean against the side of the unit.

CarCapsule Care Tips

Do not put any material under the floor section, it will only trap moisture! This may create mold or mildew.

Locate the air intake filter away from outside doors or sources of heat such as water heaters, furnaces, roll-up metal doors or washers & dryers.

Keep the air filter clean by hand washing in warm water. You may use a mild dish soap solution if necessary.

Do not place any source of heat inside the cover … not even a light bulb .

If your CarCapsule is initially used in extremely cold climates, inflate it in a warm area to help the PVC material become pliable.

When you set up your CarCapsule for the first time, it will have a lot of wrinkles. As it is kept inflated, the remainder of the wrinkles will work themselves out.

Use a car duster to remove dust from your CarCapsule as required.

To remove stains, use warm water and a mild dish soap solution.

Guest markham51

These systems work very very well in my experience. I have 3 "Carcoon" systems which is very similar to this product. They protect the car from bugs, rodents, cold air/heat condensation issues and even kids inadvertantly or "vertantly" messing with the beast. I call mine "the bubble". They are clear (except on bottom) so you can still admire the car without exposing it to the elements. Mine has a zipper that runs around the base so removal is very easy. It also hooks up to battery and keeps it charged. I got mine primarily so I could move daily drivers in and out of my garage in Canada during the cold winter months without exposing the 68 to ongoing condensation issues. The garage is heated (and cooled) but since I can regulate how much air flows through the bubble, I can control exposure to air and temp changes. Movng a car in and out any time of year doesnt affect the car at all because air changes in the bubble only about 6 times per hour so temporary environmental changes such as a door opening dont affect the air that gets inside very much at all.

There are many advantages to this system. I would recommend getting one (no matter the brand). BTW, Grabber, they make them for bikes too! I had a dog (black Lab) that chewed all of the hoses and wiring off my motorcyle once and I sure wished I had a bubble for it!

Also I really like that it protects the floor from leaks which are always ocurring on older vehicles especially.

BTW, Grabber, they make them for bikes too! I had a dog (black Lab) that chewed all of the hoses and wiring off my motorcyle once and I sure wished I had a bubble for it!

I saw that Harley Davidson makes a Bike bubble. I am seriously thinking about getting one for the winter storage months.

Archived