TEAM SHELBY FORUM

JBA Shorty Header Install Tips?

Hey guys, I've got a set of JBA ceramic shorty's in the mail right now. They're scheduled to get here Friday and I'm hoping to spend the day Saturday installing them if my schedule will allow. If not I may take a day off next week to do it.

Does anybody have any tips, tricks, or things I should watch for?

Also, if I can't do it Saturday, and I tackle it by myself at the auto shop how doable is this job alone? The shops open from 9-5 and has a lift.

I installed my Long tubes at a local military hobby shop on a lift and it took me about 6 hours start to finish with clean up and all. So it's doable alone. I don't know how much easier it will be with the shorties. A lift is the better way to go, I wouldn't do it in my garage with a couple of jack stands and a floor jack like others have done.

You'll still have to disconnect the motor mounts and lift the motor a few inches to get the old iron manifolds out, the steering arm on the driver side, and possibly the starter on the passenger side may have to be removed. Not to sure if you have to remove them for shorties but I did for the long tubes.

Make sure you use some liquid wrench or some kind of lubricant on the nuts that hold the pipes to the manifold studs. I broke the first stud off, then I sprayed the rest and the came off with no problem. I was a little angry at myself, not that I was going to ever use the manifolds again but I should have known to do that from the start.

Lots of up and down on the lift removing the top manifold bolts, then the bottoms, and the same for the install of the new bolts for the shorties.

My directions also had me check the bolts a few days after the install to make sure they were all still tight. Glad I did too cause I had few that were a little loose, and they were very tight when I finished.

Anyway, good luck, have fun with it, take some pics along the way, and let us know how it goes when your done. I'm sure your going to like the results. I know I love the long tubes and the new found power that came with them.

Jeff

Jeff, thank you for that info! That's the same type of hobby shop I plan on doing it in. I'm nervous and anxious about finally getting to do this.

BTW, I love the look of your SGT.

Thanks for the compliment.

I'll be heading over to the hobby shop myself when I return from Bahrain next week. Adding the Steeda aluminum 1 piece driveshaft, Steeda adjustable upper control arm with new mount. KR style axle reservoir, since adding the 4.10's I have fluid coming from the vent on the axle. Also adding the Ford racing lower control arm relocation brackets and Moroso power steering reservoir to match the coolant tank.

Needless to say I'll probably be there all day installing my new stuff as well. Can't beat $4 an hour for the lift and any tools you may need that you don't have.

Oh yeah one thing I forgot to mention was once I had the motor mount bolts out I used the trans tail stock jack right under the bell housing where it met the motor to lift the engine a few inches, don't lift it by the oil pan. and lastly be prepared for sore arms the next day lol.

Looking forward to hearing about the results of your shorty install.

Jeff

Seriously long day...

I did this viking challenge run thing yesterday (terrible idea) logging 11 miles, but I was bound and determined to get my headers in today no matter what. Got to the shop when it opened at 9 and dove right in. A few things took way longer than they should have, probably due to being so damn tired from yesterday. Anyways, after getting an extra pair of hands for the last few hours we finished right before closing at 5. Fired her up while we cleaned up to give the computer a chance to relearn everything and all seemed well... PSYCH! Hop in to drive home and the little wrench icon pops up. Go get gas, hoping the restart will help clear things up. Upon restart I've got a check engine light instead of the wrench, start to drive and then I've got both. I had to get to the airport to pick some friends up so I ran home and dropped the Shelby off. Haven't had a chance to do anything yet (it's night and I'd be waking the neighbors up), but I'm beyond pissed. 8 hours at the shop and now I've got a loud car that I can't drive. My guess/hope is that it had to do with the liquid wrench I was using throughout the process. If I let it idle for a while and burn off everything then reset the battery, do you think I'm good or do I get to change the O2 sensors now?

Ok, I might have solved my problem already. I was reading posts around the net about this type of an issue and a guy who'd put BBK's on couldn't figure it out, but eventually found some random hose unplugged. I figured before I get ready for bed I ought to just take a peak at things... turns out when we took the intake off to tighten the top, driver side bolts, we forgot to plug the MAFS back in lol. I haven't restarted her to confirm that that solves things because I don't want to piss all the neighbors off, but I'm very optimistic!

The lesson here is, don't take on a full day at the shop when both people doing the work are already physically beat haha

The lesson here is, don't take on a full day at the shop when both people doing the work are already physically beat haha

I know how that feels I was sore all over from working above my head under the car. I couldn't imagine doing it after running 11 miles.

Lol, I hear ya, when I finished I went back and checked that everything I had removed/loosened was tight and back to where it was prior to the install. I must have checked everything like 5 times just to be sure it was all good.

It can't be that loud? I have long tubes and mine isn't "wake the neighbors" loud unless I really get on it. Anyway, I'd wager to say you found the issue. the liquid wrench shouldn't have any impact on it. unless you were spraying it into the intake tube or something

I know how that feels I was sore all over from working above my head under the car. I couldn't imagine doing it after running 11 miles.

Lol, I hear ya, when I finished I went back and checked that everything I had removed/loosened was tight and back to where it was prior to the install. I must have checked everything like 5 times just to be sure it was all good.

It can't be that loud? I have long tubes and mine isn't "wake the neighbors" loud unless I really get on it. Anyway, I'd wager to say you found the issue. the liquid wrench shouldn't have any impact on it. unless you were spraying it into the intake tube or something

Yeah, I won't be doing that again haha

I've only driven it around base so far, I'll find out when I go to church and can get on it a little bit, but so far it looks like I'm good to go. I'm so thankful it was something easy, I had visions of having to replace the O2 sensor on the header.

It's pretty loud on a cold start-up. I've got SLP Loudmouth's, so I'm basically running no mufflers. It's not deafeningly loud, I'd just rather play on the safer side. No liquid wrench in the intake haha just the header bolts. I'll try and get some pictures up of the before and after later today. I don't have any video yet. I appreciate your help!

Archived