TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hood Corrision

I brought in my Shelby on Tuesday for a slight corrision problem, about the size of a quarter. On the left or drivers side directly above the area where the headlamp and grill meet. The area was on the hood itself. The body shop took a photo sent it back to FORD and the response this morning to fix it, is to replace the hood with a new one. I was surprised they were replacing the entire hood. I suspect they found other deteoriating areas.... It's always garaged with a cover on it, don't drive it in rain, but I guess they have been having issues with them. I just hope the paint matches and the fit is perfect like it is now.

This is actually a fairly common problem that Ford knows about but ignores unless someone comes forward with a problem. Many Shelby's have a corrosion problem under the hood on each side near the headlights but owners do not notice it unless they look carefully. They never see it until the corrosion spreads to the outer surfaces of the paint. I didn't notice it on my 2012 until I read the thread referenced below. After that, I looked and sure enough there was corrosion under the hood in the form of bubbled paint. The consensus seems to be that it results from contamination of the aluminum in the manufacturing process. The contamination is on the aluminum before it is painted so not amount of polishing or protection makes any difference. Take a look at this thread. Interesting reading: http://www.fordgt500...hp/t-18417.html

Hey Thanks for the link. The way I spotted the bubble was I was about to use the Liquid Pre-Cleaner you sent me. Thanks again! I didn't want to use it during our rainy season even though it was in the garage, I wouldn't of been able to enjoy it and looked at it outside. Now that the rain is over, I washed the Car on Sunday and took a drive down Devil's Slide for the last time on Hwy 1s. (Pacifica/Half Moon Bay), Calif. They opened two new tunnels so they shut that part of the road with an awesome view but dangerous curves. Needless to say I saw the bubble, so I took it in. How did they fix your problem on your hood?

Hey Thanks for the link. The way I spotted the bubble was I was about to use the Liquid Pre-Cleaner you sent me. Thanks again! I didn't want to use it during our rainy season even though it was in the garage, I wouldn't of been able to enjoy it and looked at it outside. Now that the rain is over, I washed the Car on Sunday and took a drive down Devil's Slide for the last time on Hwy 1s. (Pacifica/Half Moon Bay), Calif. They opened two new tunnels so they shut that part of the road with an awesome view but dangerous curves. Needless to say I saw the bubble, so I took it in. How did they fix your problem on your hood?

Since the corrosion is not visible from the outside, I have not had it repaired. I did quite a bit of research about painting aluminum and found that it is far more difficult to do than steel or fiberglass. If not prepared properly, the corrosion is likely to occur again. In addition, I have NO confidence in the dealership service department (includes the body shop). What I am doing is watching it carefully. If it begins to spread I will pop the bubbles and repair myself if it stays under the hood (used to do a lot of body work when I was younger). If not, I will replace the stock hood with a fiberglass aftermarket hood and have a 1st class paint shop do the job. Recall in the thread I sent you that I looked at every car at the Ponies under the Palms Show last year here in FL to see if they had the same type of corrosion. About 1/3 of the cars had the problem but it had not spread to the outside of the hood although some really had it bad under the hood. I don't think many of the owners even knew they had the issue.

All Acura NSXs are completely aluminum. I have some experience with them and the entire NorthEast region of the NSX Club of America. I have seen probably close to 100 NSXs over the years and not one had a corrosion issue with the paint. Painting aluminum is not rocket science nor quantum physics. Ford just dropped the ball here. This is BS. Ford should stand behind these repairs 100%. This was an issue back in the 07/08 SGTs. It should have been corrected by now. Ford is doing A LOT BETTER than they used to. But this sort of addressable issue just p*sses me off.

All Acura NSXs are completely aluminum. I have some experience with them and the entire NorthEast region of the NSX Club of America. I have seen probably close to 100 NSXs over the years and not one had a corrosion issue with the paint. Painting aluminum is not rocket science nor quantum physics. Ford just dropped the ball here. This is BS. Ford should stand behind these repairs 100%. This was an issue back in the 07/08 SGTs. It should have been corrected by now. Ford is doing A LOT BETTER than they used to. But this sort of addressable issue just p*sses me off.

Your holiness: Although painting aluminum is not rocket science, it takes extreme care to make sure that the aluminum is not contaminated during the painting process. I wouldn't trust most paint shops to prep and paint an aluminum pair of tweezers let alone a Shelby hood. Read the following TSB for the cautions about painting aluminum. http://www.stangnet....Bs/06-25-15.pdf

Archived