TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2007 Gt500 Not running right?

austenrillo

Hello. Im new to this forum. But i just feel like my car is not running correctly. Acouple months ago i plugged my tuner in and it pulled a code saying something about the Intercooler pump. I took it into ford and they told me that everything was fine. Im not sure what to do from here on out. My car is susposed to be putting out (Im guessing) over 500 real wheel horse power because i have a BBK throttle body, Smaller pulley, intake, tune, O/R Xpipe and mufflers. I took it too a car show a month ago and they were doing free dyno pulls so i said why not because i had never known exactly what my car was putting down. To make a long story short it only put down 414 real wheel horse power and lets just say i was embarrassed. I dont know what it could be. My car has over 60,000 miles on it and it just doesnt feel the way its susposed too. When i start it in the morning and drive it.. the first 5 minutes the car feels how its susposed to feel but all day after that it just feels so sluggish and slow. I dont know if the intercooler pump isnt working or anything so im just wondeirng if you guys could give me some input on what to do from here? Thanks

RE-FLASH the tune...Make sure .....

Just reflashed it and it does the same thing. I just think its wierd how for the first 5 minutes of driving (Seemingly when its cold) it drives up to its potential but any time after that it is just sluggish. Its bothering me so much

Did you look at the Plugs? When was the last time they were changed? Also, check to make sure you don't have an air bubble in the intercooler system. With the engine idling pull the intercooler cap and make sure fluid is cycling in the tank. Should be churning pretty good. Let us know what you find.

Its possible to have a bad intercooler pump. Or air in the system. If you have not done anything with intercooler my amatuer guess is pump is dead. Check it turn car on if no water is churning in overfloe for intercooler which is the small overflow container under your hood. Then try burping it. If that doesnt work I know there is a way to jump the intercooler when the car is off. If you here no noise from the pump trying to work id say its time for a new one. Again im an amatuer I would double check with the pros first. Also if it is the pump I would highly recommend getting a diff heatexchanger while your changing the pump out. It helps bunches I have the afco dual fan and love it. I know revan racing sells one too which are good also either one. Cant go wrong.

I may as well throw my 2 cents in. If you have an SCT device and a PC, datalog it and see what your "Intake Air Temp" (IAT) are. Make sure you do it when it's cold then do it again when it warms up. Don't know what the acceptable threshold is but if you post them someone maybe able to help. If they get extremely high the car will heat soak and pull timing, this will definitely rob the car of it's power. Maybe it will validate the code it pulled for the intercooler pump.

Something to think about.

Good Luck!

Ray

• 1 month later...

I may as well throw my 2 cents in. If you have an SCT device and a PC, datalog it and see what your "Intake Air Temp" (IAT) are. Make sure you do it when it's cold then do it again when it warms up. Don't know what the acceptable threshold is but if you post them someone maybe able to help. If they get extremely high the car will heat soak and pull timing, this will definitely rob the car of it's power. Maybe it will validate the code it pulled for the intercooler pump.

Something to think about.

Good Luck!

Ray

Can't tell where you live but here's the deal; heat kills these cars. Your tune (certainly stock, and probably your aftermarket tune) are set to begin pulling timing at 125*f downstream. Basically, you can let your car idle in the driveway for a few minutes and you're already at 125*. I've seen 8-10 degrees of timing pulled at a whack. That's why guys that hotlap their cars at the track lose 10+ mph from pass to pass!

If you use an aftermarket heat exchanger like this one

http://vmptuning.com/index.php?p=product&id=1582

You'll never see those kinds of temps except under the most extreme of conditions, and even then, we can bump that threshold up a little in the tune...say 130-135....if we're sure you have the cooling to handle it .

Yes, datalogging will allow you to see your IAT2 (downstream) temps, PLUS you'll be able to monitor spark/timing and see what's happening. Log once with it cool. Log again with it hot. Compare. Viola......problem found.

Let me know if I can help in any way.

bj

Archived