TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Autoblog leaks Shelby announcement...again

DubbsFaris

Why do they have to do this every friggin time? Cant they just let the people that worked hard to put out a product be the ones to enjoy the one little thing they should get to surprise the world with?

Why do they have to do this every friggin time? Cant they just let the people that worked hard to put out a product be the ones to enjoy the one little thing they should get to surprise the world with?

Maybe if they wouldn't invite the Press to check it out BEFORE they tell the World about it. After all, the Press had to get the Info & Photos some how.

Like most companies, we issue a Press Release to professional news sites that also comes with a Release Date and time. That way, they have the pix, etc, and can write their story in time. It's a professional courtesy. Sites or mags that violate it don't often get invited back next time.

Jer

Autoblog must have some spies LOL. They always seem to get everything.

It is a shame

Like most companies, we issue a Press Release to professional news sites that also comes with a Release Date and time. That way, they have the pix, etc, and can write their story in time. It's a professional courtesy. Sites or mags that violate it don't often get invited back next time.

Jer

When a vehicle manufacturer develops a new product they have "Press Day" where they invite a bunch of the Mass Media (typically car/motorcycle magazines) to come and preview the car/bike, drive/ride it and photograph it. All of the invited are required to sign a confidentiality agreement and a embargo is set with a official release date given.

MOST who attend abide by the agreement. Some haven't. The ones that don't, just don't get invited back again. That's the only recourse the mfgr. has.

For instance;

A few years ago, Harley-Davidson developed a new "super secret" water-cooled motorcycle they called the V-Rod. I was very good friends with the Editor of HOT BIKE MAGAZINE at the time. I also had (still have) a large subscriber based forum group called the Harley TC-88 mailing list/group on Yahoogroups. One of my members was sent pre-release photographs of the V-Rod and he in turn sent me photo's and asked if I'd post them (to remove his name out of the loop). They were all professional photographs of the new (unannounced) motorcycle and I posted them on my site.

This was about 2 months prior to Harley-Davidson's official announcement date ("Pre-embargo" release date)!

Needless to say, those photo's got copied and posted all over the Internet and in magazines that were NOT invited to the H-D Press Day. I was inundated with requests to give up my sources but I would NOT, I refused (I'd never have another 'source' of unpublished info again if I did!). The Editor of HOT BIKE called me and pleaded with me to tell him where I got the photo's. I told him I would not do that, I could not do that...No more than I would tell people when HE gave me privileged information. He tried and tried and tried, but I would not relent.

The point is, it happens. And it's not something Shelby (or Harley-Davidson for that matter) can control. In this digital age, I can not post a pic somewhere and keep it from being disseminated around the 'Net.

Shelby can do their best to find the leak and 'un-invite' them, but that's about it.

Having said that, Shelby American (or employees and/or associates thereof) are about THE WORST for 'keeping secrets' that I've ever seen.

The release of the GT350 had to be the worst kept secret in the world. With multiple people giving out 'hints', all a person had to do was add 2+2 to sum up that the answer was FOUR. I did and I was accused (by the then President) of having a inside source and it was DEMANDED that I stop posting private privileged information. All that did was show me how STUPID the person accusing me of having a inside source was. For the record, I DO NOT HAVE A INSIDE SOURCE! I simply used my powers of observation and deduction with a hint of speculation added to come up with 100% accurate information.

Oh, and one of the two people who gave out the most 'hints' is the person I see bitching the loudest.

Phill

If you mean me Phill, the GT350 was shown to several of my friends, and I got info that way. I was invited to the release party as I placed a deposit on pure faith for that build sight unseen. The difference between then and now is my affiliation with Shelby. Back then I was only an enthusiast, and like you with Harley, I could say what I want. Now I have agreements in writing with Shelby that prohibit me from disclosing non public information.

The reason I am displeased with autoblog is because they are "in the business" and I expect a certain professional courtesy. You have leaked a lot of upcoming Ford information, but you are an enthusiast with good friends. I'm not sure if they would be at risk of some action for leaking to you, but that's not my concern. I personally like to see what you have to say, and it's usually pretty accurate.

I hope you can see my point and that it is deemed a valid one.

Archived