TEAM SHELBY FORUM

ouch!

Gibraltar

So the tab is up to $20k and still growing, but they are fixing it.

I’ve been assured it’ll be right when it’s done. We’ll see. I do know that they’re replacing all the damaged sheet metal with new ford parts. I saw all the new panels yesterday. They've started the re-assembly:post-35440-0-42344300-1366915465_thumb.jpg

post-35440-0-42344300-1366915465_thumb.jpg

While it’s there, I’m thinking about doing the ’13 front grills and tail light conversion (with rear bumper cover, etc.).

I like the look of the new tail lights and will paint the rocker panel covers to complete the ’13 look.

I don’t think I’ll mess with the headlights, as they seem like a pain and they’re really expensive.

I’m wondering what impact you guys think making these changes would have on the future value of the car. I know it’s going to take a hit for having been in an accident and I plan to keep it for several years (assuming it’s right when they’re done). So I’m not super worried about trade in value right now, but rather if I’d be really killing the car’s collector value in the future.

Any thoughts?

While it’s there, I’m thinking about doing the ’13 front grills and tail light conversion (with rear bumper cover, etc.).

I like the look of the new tail lights and will paint the rocker panel covers to complete the ’13 look.

I don’t think I’ll mess with the headlights, as they seem like a pain and they’re really expensive.

I’m wondering what impact you guys think making these changes would have on the future value of the car. I know it’s going to take a hit for having been in an accident and I plan to keep it for several years (assuming it’s right when they’re done). So I’m not super worried about trade in value right now, but rather if I’d be really killing the car’s collector value in the future.

Any thoughts?

I believe adding 2013 parts to a non2013 car will only decrease its value as you go farther away from what is stock that year.

Not sure what State you are in but I will tell you I had an 07 GT/CS and it got rear ended and had over $7k in repairs done. You will want to file a diminished value claim. More than likely the insurance company will require a professional quote which cost me $200 not bad. I turned mine in at $3k which was over 10% of the value and since it was a CS that's what bumped it higher. With yours being a GT500 should help. The insurance company offered me $750 haha right that what's what I told them. So I got a lawyer that specialized in this. In Oregon if the lawyer get's you anything over what they offer you they have to pay all the lawyer fees and everything. Without dragging this story on like the insurance dragged on I ended up with my $3k and the insurance company had to pay over $7k all together... So when I traded in my CS for my GT500 that $3k really came in handy when they said it was in an accident from the carfax report.

Hope this helps and good luck with all the repairs.

Jason...

Get it fixed and modified the way you want. Don't consider future "collectibility" - these cars are meant to be used/driven today. Ask all the guys who paid 20K ADM for their 2007 GT500s. You have an opportunity to have the car repaired in a way that is BETTER than factory. Did you really like all that factory orange peel? Are they going to respray the entire car to ensure a proper match of new paint? If so, have them cut and buff it and it will be smooth like glass. Paint the stripes back on while you are at it and say goodbye to vinyl.

Paint the stripes back on while you are at it and say goodbye to vinyl.

Oooh, stripes. I hadn’t thought about that. It’s a stripe delete car, so it didn’t have them to begin with, but my kids have been asking for them.

I’ll have to think about that one.

My thoughts about the other mods are like this:

Mine is a daily driver that’s already got over 20k miles on it. As others have said many times, I bought it to drive it.

I really like the 2013 tail lights.

I’ve already changed most of the suspension.

It’s been in an accident that will haunt it for the rest of it’s life.

I think I have room to keep and store the original parts (as I did with the suspension), just in case some future buyer wants them.

I found some used 2013 tail lights on EBAY at about half the cost of new ones. I’ve ordered them. If they really are “like new”, I think I’ll go for it!

I know I asked for input and now it sounds like I’m ignoring it. I figure this way I can have the tail lights I like while I have the car and some future owner can decide for themselves to keep it that way or go back to stock.

Oooh, stripes. I hadn’t thought about that. It’s a stripe delete car, so it didn’t have them to begin with, but my kids have been asking for them.

I’ll have to think about that one.

My thoughts about the other mods are like this:

Mine is a daily driver that’s already got over 20k miles on it. As others have said many times, I bought it to drive it.

I really like the 2013 tail lights.

I’ve already changed most of the suspension.

It’s been in an accident that will haunt it for the rest of it’s life.

I think I have room to keep and store the original parts (as I did with the suspension), just in case some future buyer wants them.

I found some used 2013 tail lights on EBAY at about half the cost of new ones. I’ve ordered them. If they really are “like new”, I think I’ll go for it!

I know I asked for input and now it sounds like I’m ignoring it. I figure this way I can have the tail lights I like while I have the car and some future owner can decide for themselves to keep it that way or go back to stock.

It's your car and a true driver. Modify to your heart's content. When other people start making your car payments, then they can have a vote in what you do to your car. I like the '13 tail lights better also but will stick with the ones I have. I still may get my stripes painted on because stripe maintance is a bugger on a daily driver that sits outside a lot. When I got mine back after my wreck, I took it easy for a week or two kinda feeling it out. Everything seemed fine so I made a quick blast up to 140+ and it was rock steady and it's been just like when it was new ever since.

As long as a qualified Ford dealership is doing the work using Ford parts you should be fine. Besides, if I ever trade mine in, it will be with the same dealer where I bought the car and had it repaired. If they have any complaints about it, I'll tell them they did the work (LOL).

The wife and I were headed home from dinner with another couple.

Wait wait wait... you had four adults in a GT500? Did you not like these people? :hysterical:

But seriously, I'm glad nobody was seriously injured. Was it a straight T-bone and not a deflected/angled hit? If so, I'm impressed by the damage absorption by the door. Even though a Yaris is small, it ain't a bicycle. 2,300 lbs or so at 50MPH - I would have expected more damage. Ford Tough indeed.

Good luck on the repairs and the mods! That car saved your butt and deserves to be back on the road! :shift:

Wait wait wait... you had four adults in a GT500? Did you not like these people? :hysterical:

Yeah, it was my wife and I with another couple.

They’re good friends and when I got the car I asked if they’d be willing to take it when we went out once in a while.

The girls are both 5’4”ish and decided to try the back seat. They agreed that getting in and out was not the easiest thing, but once they were in there it was fine.

They said they just wouldn’t be wearing short skirts when I drive.

It was a difficult decision, but we tool the Shelby that night. ;)

• 1 month later...

Must have been a long 3 months.....But she looks beautiful!!!!

Grats!

Mike

+1...

Thanks guys! I'm really pleased with the way the car looks. And it drives great. I'm also happy with all the mods. Surprisingly the one that makes me happiest is the new sun visors with Home Link in the drivers side!

Thanks guys! I'm really pleased with the way the car looks. And it drives great. I'm also happy with all the mods. Surprisingly the one that makes me happiest is the new sun visors with Home Link in the drivers side!

Gibraltar,

It's the little things that can make a big difference, isn't it? However, I do like the new tail-lamps also!!!

Archived