TEAM SHELBY FORUM

I Gotta Get Me A Big Boy Socket Wrench

acroholic

So I get my Alcoas installed, yay! Now the driver side rear sticks out further than the passenger side. OK, lets install an adjustable panhard bar, and while I'm there, let's install an aftermarket panhard bar brace.

So I get the cars rear up, and found a good use for the stock wheels at the same time, and I find I cannot loosen the panhard bars torqued to 129 ft. lbs nuts with my socket wrench. So off to the parts store to get something longer.

I guess this is one time 8 inches is not enough!!!!

CIMG5221_zpsebc7e798.jpg

CIMG5223_zpsaf4b4f43.jpg

CIMG5222_zps97aa2bf2.jpg

I guess this is one time 8 inches is not enough!!!!

8" is .75% of 12" so if you weighed 200 lbs and you hung ever pound of your weight off of the tip of the handle, the MOST you'll get on that ratchet is 150 lb.-ft. of torque.

If you weigh 150 lb., the most you'll get on it is 112.5 lb. ft. of torque!

I have a big long 1/2" drive breaker bar I use for the heavy shit. Got it at Sears, not too expensive from what I remember.

Phill

When removing use a breaker bar or a pipe over the 3/8 or 1/2 socket. When tightening use an appropriate torque wrench. Our Sears closed but I found out this week that Lowes is carrying torque wrenches up to about 150-ft-lb. I need that for my lugs on the GT too.

I ended up buying a breaker bar, a couple torque wrenches, and some larger metric sockets. I was seriously under equipped toolwise to do this job. Found out that you cannot remove the panhard bar brace bolt with the car up on wheels like I had it. You need to set the car on jack stands at the pinch welds in front of the rear tires to unload the suspension, then slightly jack up the rear diff to manipulate the axles so you can slide the flag bolt off between the rear passenger spring. Oh well, another job for another day.

But the adjustable panhard bar went in fine, and I have it adjusted so the rear wheels are even...yay!!!!

Isn't 8" 66%(~.66) of 12"?

OOPS! <LOL>

Yeah, 9" would be 75%. Which means he could get even LESS torque applied to that ratchet.

No wonder my math grades were so bad!

Duh,

Phill

Whats up with the Panhard Brace? Looks like it is bent in the picture.

Was that like that when you took it off? Or was that the result

of excessive torque with that 8" ratchet? Lol

Ya know, I saw that and thought, "I don't remember MY Shelby/BMR brace looking like that. They must have changed them.".

I'm going to look under my car to double check, but I'm pretty sure my brace is straight all the way down.

It looks like something hit that one....

Phill

Ya know, I saw that and thought, "I don't remember MY Shelby/BMR brace looking like that. They must have changed them.".

I'm going to look under my car to double check, but I'm pretty sure my brace is straight all the way down.

It looks like something hit that one....

Phill

Nothing wrong with that panhard bar brace. That slight bend is required. I installed the Shelby setup on mine about a year ago and it had the same bend.

post-28117-0-58442500-1364594090_thumb.jpg

--KG--

post-28117-0-58442500-1364594090_thumb.jpg

Nothing wrong with that panhard bar brace. That slight bend is required. I installed the Shelby setup on mine about a year ago and it had the same bend.

DSC02116c.jpg

--KG--

Yup, that's the way it comes from BMR. Product description:

Reinforces Panhard Bar. Replace that wimpy stock light gauge stamped metal brace Ford installs with their Panhard Bar with a BMR Suspension Upper Panhard Support Bar for additional strength to prevent deflection under load. The passenger side has a slight bend to allow for additional exhaust clearance.

Actually, the equivalent Shelby PH Bar and Brace look like a rebranded BMR Bar and Brace. Heck, it is a BMR Bar and Brace..just looked at the picture. Same thing as what I just installed. Where's the "CS" Laser Etched Logo on the Shelby product, hehehe?!!!

Yup, that's the way it comes from BMR. Product description:

Reinforces Panhard Bar. Replace that wimpy stock light gauge stamped metal brace Ford installs with their Panhard Bar with a BMR Suspension Upper Panhard Support Bar for additional strength to prevent deflection under load. The passenger side has a slight bend to allow for additional exhaust clearance.

Actually, the equivalent Shelby PH Bar and Brace look like a rebranded BMR Bar and Brace. Heck, it is a BMR Bar and Brace..just looked at the picture. Same thing as what I just installed. Where's the "CS" Laser Etched Logo on the Shelby product, hehehe?!!!

You are correct, although I ordered thru SPP, both the panhard bar and the brace are BMR components. I do not recall that these particular items were supposed to have laser etched CS logos. However, I did receive several BMR logo stickers and several Shelby logo stickers, which I did not use...lol.

Archived