TEAM SHELBY FORUM

9" and 10" wide wheel pairs from American Muscle?

msbmustang

My Tungsten 2007 GT500 will look much better with black wheels with polished lips and I have been looking at various options...mostly because my present are totally beat up after 130K miles and also the metallic brake pads pitted them quite badly. (I really like the new Autozone Duralast Gold ceramic pads I am using now with the Duralast solid rotors. No dust, no mess and cheaper to buy the solid rotors then get the stock ones machined.)

Stock black SVT wheels are available at Tousley for $181 plus $25 Shipping. So about 210 each.

However at American Muscle there are several different types of wheels that I like but they only come in 9" wide front and 10" wide rear sets. The GT-4 black wheel I think is the best looking one.

My question is do these 9" front and 10" rear wheels work on a 2007 GT500 with our normal 255 and 285 R18 tires? Do I need to worry about offset with these wheels? Also they are much less expensive, about $150 each, is that because they are not as well made?

Getting my stock wheels refinished and painted black would be about $100 each so it seems to make more sense to buy new wheels...but of course I would have to also spend $50 per wheel for the TMPS sensors.

Any thoughts/direct experiences would be appreciated. (I.e. 255's on a 9" rim and 285's on a 10" rim...or wider rear tires on a 10" rim? But there do not seem to be any wider rear tires available for us for 18" wheels.)

MSB Mustang / Mark

255 and 285's are the standard size tires for 9" and 10" wheels. However the AM website looks like with the package deals they are using a 255 and 275 tire. Description also says they fit most big brake kits. Give them a call and ask them if they have more info for the GT500. I have used American Muscle a lot and they have great customer service. Can't beat the free shipping.

-Matt

From what I understand the sensors on the older wheels will not work on the newer wheels. Band type vs stem types. I also plan on keeping my orig wheels and put one in the trunk as a spare.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks que4dog,

The Pic says it all! Where did you get the bands from?

Thanks,

mark MSB Mustang

don't use the band style sensors, the newer valve stem ones are reasonable now. I have replaced all of the bands once and had one of the new bands fail at 165+ MPH (not good). There is a reason they are not used anymore on new cars.

Those are not the hot tip either, this is listed right on the Ford Racing Parts website, under the new Boss 302 wheel sets:

"Note: TPMS Valve stems are not designed for speeds over 155 mph (2013 GT500)"

Great for those who don't look after their stuff properly, but they aren't worth the trouble they create for performance vehicles.

Faster strip cars are required to have metal bolt-in valve stems probably for the same reason, excessive centrifical force at high speeds.

Those are not the hot tip either, this is listed right on the Ford Racing Parts website, under the new Boss 302 wheel sets:

"Note: TPMS Valve stems are not designed for speeds over 155 mph (2013 GT500)"

Great for those who don't look after their stuff properly, but they aren't worth the trouble they create for performance vehicles.

Faster strip cars are required to have metal bolt-in valve stems probably for the same reason, excessive centrifical force at high speeds.

ok the Boss and the gt500 verts have speed limiters set at 155. Now what is the 2013 coupe running for sensors? From what I can find there is no speed limiter on the coupe. So you need to by the ones for the 2013 coupes.

Will the valve stems work on a 2007? All the valve stems I see are for 2010+

I just bought a set Matt.... when you buy the sensor package (200 bucks) you get stuff to "sync" the new sensors to the computer. I still haven't done it, maybe this weekend. I have no plans to drive at 155 MPH and I wasn't going to buy wheels and tires already mounted to break them down and install the bands, seemed like a waste......

post-25056-0-39338500-1365676665_thumb.jpg

post-25056-0-39338500-1365676665_thumb.jpg

No secrets on here Doug! Where did you get them from? Was it the kit from American muscle?

I'm sorry wasn't supposed be secret, since the thread was about American Muscle I thought it was implied. So to answer your question, yes American Muscle, 18" staggered set, 18 x 9 w/ 255 Nitto's 555 up front and 18 x 10 w/ 275 Nitto 555's in the rear.

Archived