TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Spring Fever Cruisin the Smokies

stngfever

A few of us are gathering in NC/TN for some cruising next month.

Here's what we have planned:

When: Sunday 4/21/13 - Monday 4/22/13 (Weather dates 4/28 & 4/29) **About a week before, we will monitor the weather in the area to make a go-no-go decision.**

Where: Starting off in Boone, NC cruising the following roads, Blue Ridge Parkway, Diamondback, Moonshiner, Tail of the Dragon, Cherohola Skyway

Kickoff Dinner: Saturday 4/20/13 @ 8:30 p.m. Bandana's BBQ http://www.bandanasbarbque.com/

Hotel Info:

Saturday 4/20

Super 8 ($69+tax)

2419 Highway 105 South, Boone, NC 28607

Group Name: Scott Riley

1-828-264-4133

Sunday/Monday 4/21 - 4/22

Fairfield Inn ($69+tax)

126 Cusick Road · Alcoa, TN 37701

Group Name: Tail of the Dragon

1-865-984-9350

The Michigan leg will be departing from Allen, MI ~8a.m. Saturday 4/20.

Refer to this document for more detailed info

SpringFeverCruise3.pdf

Post up if your interested in joining us.

Attending: (7 confirmed)

Scott, stngfever (Michigan) (Rooms booked) 1

Cliff, rumors (Michigan) (Rooms booked) 1

Don, gt67 (Florida) (Rooms Booked) 2

Frank, rarecat (Florida) (Rooms booked) 2

Kirk, (North Carolina) (Rooms booked) 1

Rick, rmgardner (Illinois) **

ViperNC (North Carolina) **

Craig, SGT/SC2873 (South Carolina) **

Jim, 07GT500CONV (Florida) (Rooms booked) 1

Vic, 07NAJA (Florida) 1

** = Tentative

SpringFeverCruise3.pdf

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jim, you Vic, Sam and all the other party time people would make this road trip ever more special than it already is. Vic hasn't seen Scott since Shelby Fest three years ago. Viper, I also hope you can join in on the fun.

It's going to be close if the primary date is when you guys go. I'm taking my family to Disney the prior week and we get back on Friday late evening. Don't know if my wife is going to appreciate me leaving immediately when we get back and getting stuck at home with our 5 & 3 year old girls who will be on sensory overload at that point. The rain date is more likely for me to be able to make it. We'll see.

The Devil's whip??? Sounds interesting.. Reminds me of a lady dressed in black I saw in a airport a few years ago. Lets see if Scott can work it into the itinerary. Thanks for the info Jim, and good luck on getting it into the schedule.

I've been on 80 many, many times on two wheels and 4. It's about 1 1/2 hours away from Charlotte and much closer than the Dragon so we used to head up there quite a bit. Connects Marion to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Coming from the Parkway, the first few switchbacks are intense and the elevation drop will definitely get your attention. I would highly recommend you add this to your tour for an "out n' back" departure from the BRP down the mountain and then back up again. Well worth it.

Adding another road to my list of roads to conquer.

The current route for Sunday is currently packed with 300 miles of FUN! If we added the Devils whip, this would extend it to ~ 332 miles.

Is it April yet?

I've been on 80 many, many times on two wheels and 4. It's about 1 1/2 hours away from Charlotte and much closer than the Dragon so we used to head up there quite a bit. Connects Marion to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Coming from the Parkway, the first few switchbacks are intense and the elevation drop will definitely get your attention. I would highly recommend you add this to your tour for an "out n' back" departure from the BRP down the mountain and then back up again. Well worth it.

Next year most of us will be in Charlotte for the 50th and it might be a great time to catch anything we miss this year. Sounds like you really know these roads. Thanks again for the info and hope you can make it. I see Scott added the whip. :salute:

I have this penciled in, it will be a last minute decision if I join in. I love that part of the state. Obviously it will depend on the weather, those road are no fun to drive in the wet.

One more to the party.

About a week before, we will monitor the weather in the area to make a go-no-go decision.

Next year most of us will be in Charlotte for the 50th and it might be a great time to catch anything we miss this year. Sounds like you really know these roads. Thanks again for the info and hope you can make it. I see Scott added the whip. :salute:

Not to hijack any plans for this thread, but to answer your question... yes I know a ton of great roads in the NC mountains and foothills. NC 80 is just one of several really good ones. Old 18, 181, 221, 226A, Route 9 around Lake Lure and these are on the east side of Asheville. Wait until you get on the west side and the roads get even better. One of my favorites just East of Brevard, take 276 North to 215 South to 64 West to 281 North and then 107 South. Miles and miles of nothing but switchbacks, elevation change, hard braking zones and beautiful scenery. If you don't have a smile on your face at the end of that run... I don't know what will. And if you want to impress your wives, here's one of the best kept secrets in North Carolina:

http://www.greystoneinn.com/

The Saphire Lakes Region of NC is majestic. Lake Toxaway is the largest private lake in NC with a ton of cool history. Not too pricey considering.

Viper, thanks for the great info, stuff to add to the list for planning the next trek (hmmmm, second annual perhaps?) My wife "tolerates" this stuff, however, unless a destination vacation is in the works she tends to stay home, which allows for more :peelout:

While it will be nearly impossible, we need to keep the incline angles to a minimum for Don's sake :hysterical:

:hide:

Okay I will start this off............

Booked the Super 8 in Boone NC for April 20. Group name is under "Scott Riley". Group rate is $ 69.00 per night. Cancel policy is 24 hours prior.

Booked the Fairfield Inn in Alcoa TN for April 21 & 22. Group name is under "Tail of the Dragon". Group rate is $ 69.00 per night. Cancel policy is 6:00 p.m. day of arrival.

Let the fun begin. And yes Don is right.... Last one in each night buys the first round.

Now for sunshine and warm weather.

We are heading out from my home in Allen Michigan (just North of Angola Indiana off of I69 and I80) early on Sat. the 20th for those who want to join our Michigan caravan.

Please pm either myself or Scott and we can make arrangements to hook up along the route.

See you soon.

Cliff, aka Rumors

My wife "tolerates" this stuff, however, unless a destination vacation is in the works she tends to stay home, which allows for more

My wife usually is a good sport and tolerates my adrenaline habits as well. The primary date is really going to be tough with that Disney trip we will just be returning from. Haven't figured out a plan on how to ask my wife to leave her with the kids for a couple of days. You guys can mark me down as tentative and it will be last minute for me. I may just meet up with you guys along the way on Sunday even if for a brief time on the parkway around NC 80 provided you can set an expectation of when you will be leaving Boone and your estimated rate of travel. I'll arrange last minute accomodations if necessary. Rain date works better for me.

First post updated with hotel info and adds to the list of attendees.

If your planning to attend and make room reservations, post up and I'll add to the list.

Planning to depart Boone, NC ~8:15 a.m.

My typicall rate of travel is ~5+

Viper, it's easier to beg for forgivness then to ask permission :drool:

Viper, thanks for the great info, stuff to add to the list for planning the next trek (hmmmm, second annual perhaps?) My wife "tolerates" this stuff, however, unless a destination vacation is in the works she tends to stay home, which allows for more :peelout:

While it will be nearly impossible, we need to keep the incline angles to a minimum for Don's sake :hysterical:

:hide:

I might be slowing down in my retirement years as time goes on but when I'm in the Boss it's like I've been drinking from the fountain of youth and all my animals comes come to life my friend. :speedie: So have fun talkin but don't even think about trying anything funny on this road trip. :woohoo:

Don

Ooops, my bad, forgot you had that other car with the stalling issues during the previous trek :hysterical2:

I'm glad your not bringing the car that attracts these

professions_3.gif

But then again the Boss doesn't like to play nice with parking curbs :tease:

I might be slowing down in my retirement years as time goes on but when I'm in the Boss it's like I've been drinking from the fountain of youth and all my animals comes come to life my friend. :speedie: So have fun talkin but don't even think about trying anything funny on this road trip. :woohoo:

Don

I think we should be more concerned with the Decline angles as he will be behind us.

There was that ONE TIME I stalled the RX8 while paying more attention to something moving on the side of the road

There was also that ONE TIME we got pulled over because we were checking how much boost the 40th had.

But there was never a time I did what a big guy did in a black SGT who backed into a street light in a dealer parking lot. :dance::dance::hysterical2::hysterical::hysterical:

I think we should be more concerned with the Decline angles as he will be behind us.

If you guys keep this up, :stirpot: I'll bring out the big gun, "official 427 40th Anniversary pace car" and leave the Boss home. :slapfight:

If you guys keep this up, :stirpot: I'll bring out the big gun, "official 427 40th Anniversary pace car" and leave the Boss home. :slapfight:

That is what were talking about. Get that car and drive it. LOL

I can't believe I didn't check my work schedule before posting, I'm on call Monday the 22nd.... I need to see if I can do some horse trading with one of my colleagues before I commit.

My other option could be to drive out Saturday and just do Sunday's cruise, but that would make for one long day of driving to get back home Sunday evening, over 700 miles.

I'll need to get back with you.....

Archived