TEAM SHELBY FORUM

No...Its not a GT500...

yoggiebhr

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happened again today at a stop light! Guy rolled up beside me.."Hey, how fast you had it? Is it supercharged?" Once I answered no, he said "Oh, just a 4.6...nice car though". So..I think I'm going to start a new game. I'm going to see how far I can lead someone on before they realize I'm pulling their leg.

Example: "Is is supercharged?"

Answer: "Yes! I have two of them..one for each rear tire. It puts out 850HP per side and when it was dyno'd all the gauges blew up and satan himself appeared to ask me to keep the noise down!"

.....it could be a fun game.....

I was around when the GLHS came out and I thought it was a pretty cool little car.

True that, they were and are! There were quicker than most anything else you could get your hands on back in the day for reasonable money. And back then, if you shelled out some extra cake to your Dodge dealer, you could get the Super 60 pack on your GLH....and while they still viewed as the best kept secret of the era, the upgrade was good for 300hp. Most would roll their eyes and say "300? yeah, suuure", but a few of us know better than to doubt ;)

It's funny how the Bullitt is generally viewed as awesome, despite offering less than the S-GT. And while the '500 tends to overshadow the S-GT, it's bit of a compliment to Carroll that it took a Shelby to overshadow another Shelby. I personally think you're in good company. The S-GT is a modern day GT350, which was arguably the best of them all. In time, as these cars become more obtainable on the used market, a new generation of owners will hopefully fall in love with them, thus realizing just how well rounded they truly are.

That being said, n00bs will always be n00bs. I know guys that think the GT350 is lame, and that "Eleanor" (67 GT500) was the best Mustang of all time. These are the same guys that will tell you that the General Lee was the best Charger of all time haha.

Happened again today at a stop light! Guy rolled up beside me.."Hey, how fast you had it? Is it supercharged?" Once I answered no, he said "Oh, just a 4.6...nice car though". So..I think I'm going to start a new game. I'm going to see how far I can lead someone on before they realize I'm pulling their leg.

Answer: "Yes! I have two of them..one for each rear tire. It puts out 850HP per side and when it was dyno'd all the gauges blew up and satan himself appeared to ask me to keep the noise down!"

You'll have to let us know how that one goes. I might try that myself tomorrow when I pull my car out, people in my neighbor would buy it all the way then tell me to go to church.

True that, they were and are! There were quicker than most anything else you could get your hands on back in the day for reasonable money. And back then, if you shelled out some extra cake to your Dodge dealer, you could get the Super 60 pack on your GLH....and while they still viewed as the best kept secret of the era, the upgrade was good for 300hp. Most would roll their eyes and say "300? yeah, suuure", but a few of us know better than to doubt ;)

And 300hp in that little car HAD to be a handful, especially since the only traction control around was knowing when to lift your right foot.

haha, yep... and locking your elbow is about the only thing that will keep it from steering off into the ditch. In spite of all of that, they still get no respect. I can say that, because I have had one for some time. At red lights, I've wiped the smile off a few C5 vettes, and even 07ish '500s, but even after that, I still I got "yeah, ummm...well... it's still ugly, so there!". I actually welcome the haters now. Just remember, what they don't know, will embarrass them! ;)

If it all still gets to you though, then perhaps you should do a little magic to that S-GT, so you can break some hearts.

It's actually becoming funny at this point. It was getting to me, but now I'm having fun with relating all of these little encounters. I don't hardly have a day go by that someone doesn't "thumbs up" the car. I'd love to do some performance mods on the car, but this year is appearance fixes year. Stripes gotta get painted on, etc.

And to be honest...I'm not so sure I'd want to line up next to your GLHS at a stop light. :)

What's funny, is that I often get the opposite. Just a couple weeks ago when I brought my car to the tuner, his partner, who had never seen the car before, said "Hey look, a real Shelby, not like that Ford GT500 over there." I thought that was a very interesting comment. Of course, I feel and know they are all Shelby's, just found that to be quite interesting that this huge Chevy guy said that. He's bowtie through and through, owns many amazing Camaro's old and new, and has a whole family of drag racer Chevy's up to top fuel.

What's funny, is that I often get the opposite. Just a couple weeks ago when I brought my car to the tuner, his partner, who had never seen the car before, said "Hey look, a real Shelby, not like that Ford GT500 over there." I thought that was a very interesting comment. Of course, I feel and know they are all Shelby's, just found that to be quite interesting that this huge Chevy guy said that. He's bowtie through and through, owns many amazing Camaro's old and new, and has a whole family of drag racer Chevy's up to top fuel.

Jeff, I hope you smacked that Chevy guy around to let him know that this type of Shelby bashing is

reserved for TS. (Kinda like certain racial groups allowed to use certain racial slurs.)

As for folks who really don't know the difference between the models, I usually shorten the discussion

by explaining that Ford offered two Shelby models those years... one that focused on handling and

one that focused on power. They nod in understanding every time with a compliment usually thrown

in.

-Tom

"Out of curiosity since we're talking about the supercharged SGT, how would it fair in a drag race against a stock 07-09 GT500?"

Let's see..

07-09 GT500 4000 - 4100 lbs, 500HP

07-08 SGT/SC 3500 lbs, 550 HP

You figure it out.

And the SGT suspension is for the track, while the stock 07-09 GT500 is a cruiser, so on the track there would be no match.

The GT500 is a nice car, I had one. I would guess most would prefer it to the SGT because of the smoother suspension actually.

I am not a drag racer, I am a road course guy.

I am familiar with the SGTs, SGT/SCs and GT500s, having owned them all. Each a nice car in it's own right.

I can't speak about the newer GT500s, I have no experience with them.

Too many factors. Is the SGT a stick or an automatic? Which supercharger? What other mods to the SGT, gears?

If we're talking an automatic SGT with a Paxton, no gears, no converter, the GT500 would take it depending on the tires and launch.

SGT w/whipple, 5 speed, would be probably a tie, maybe edge to SGT, again depending on tires.

Where I live (mile high Bandimere Speedway), most stock 07-09 GT500's on street tires run mid 13's. My buddies 07 SGT with a whipple, 4:10's (5 speed) on street tires runs pretty much flat 13. On race tires he's running 12.60's.

My GT-H with stock engine, automatic, 3:55's, Paxton, did a best of 13.90's. When I tried to bump up boost and a few other things, it went boom. Hopefully this year with the Aluminator, heads, converter, 4:10's and other things, better be high 11's or I'll be very unhappy.

Really?

I suck at 1/4 mile, not my passion.

I ran 12.7 at 116mph and totally sucked on 60' times. Either burning rubber or lagging badly. A "real" 1/4 miler could get (i'd think) into the 11's. Street tires, street pressure, manual trans...

Really?

I ran 12.7 at 116mph and totally sucked on 60' times. Either burning rubber or lagging badly. A "real" 1/4 miler could get (i'd think) into the 11's. Street tires, street pressure, manual trans...

Yes, this is why I put "here at Bandimere Speedway". Compared to sea level, a 12 second car will be a 13.5 car here do to the oxygen, or lack there of. HP is a totally different thing when altitude is involved.

I always thought the R E A L SHELBY's were the ones which went into the SHELBY workshop of Las Vegas to have mods done by the Shelby crew....And then get a SHELBY serial number plate riveted in the engine compartment...

Regular GT500 (like mine) are more a SVT-FORD product.

Really?

I have the same problem - it takes 20 - 30 minutes for me to get off . Just never could do the 10-12 second "quickies" . Nothing wrong with a little to the left and a little to the right with some straight shots in between I always say . :shift:

I'm a little late to this party but ill play. Fist Sgt i saw was in the show room floor when i bought by 03 gt (used) she was black and silver. My hart dumped on the floor. I didn't know what it was but had about an hour of drooling and reading the sticker to figure it out. Ive wanted one since, and still do.

I bought my gt500 for several reasons but one being that its a good base to start out with. The car is leaps and bounds above my 03gt obviously power wise but handling is a lot better than i had expected. That said as far as the drag race is concerned. Stock for stock i think the Sgt would have a pretty good chance taking the 500. It would definitely be a fishing trip. The Sgt is a lot easier to get off the line.

I love my gt500 but to me at the end of the day ive got an svt Cobra with Shelby badges. As far as the Shelby purist in me I'd rather own an Sgt. For a touring car she gt500 is great. If i took her to more track days Sgt hands down in stock form. But like i said before, the 500 is an amazing base. The car has loads of potential. The only

Down fall i see with the Sgt is the block. In stock form its great. If you need more power be careful. Ive seen what happened to them under a decent amount of boost

concur. Like pullin' the pin on a hand grenade and how long can you hold the spoon down. I would recommend a maximum of 7-9 psi for longevity. I know there are many people here with 550 Whipples and 11 psi on a stock upper and lower. But it certainly decreases the longevity. IMO. I am sure you can drive a 4.6 Whiiple 550 forever if you do not drive it hard. I would think that would also be impossible to have that power under your right foot and not use it. Again, JMO.

there was a local dealership sales manager that made a deal for your local car club. buy a new gt and get a free saleen charger if you have the dealership install and you can keep your factory warentee.

factory tunes were ok. the guys that retuned.....didnt end well

I always thought the R E A L SHELBY's were the ones which went into the SHELBY workshop of Las Vegas to have mods done by the Shelby crew....And then get a SHELBY serial number plate riveted in the engine compartment...

Regular GT500 (like mine) are more a SVT-FORD product.

You Thought wrong

I believe that's correct.

You are wrong

we have a winner you are correct

You must be one of those that thinks everyones a winner :hysterical:

Really guys, John Luft said it best one time. Parphrasing here, " I would not want to be the one who tells Carroll a GT500 is not a real Shelby"

Enjoy what you have

"Out of curiosity since we're talking about the supercharged SGT, how would it fair in a drag race against a stock 07-09 GT500?"

Let's see..

07-09 GT500 4000 - 4100 lbs, 500HP

07-08 SGT/SC 3500 lbs, 550 HP

You figure it out.

And the SGT suspension is for the track, while the stock 07-09 GT500 is a cruiser, so on the track there would be no match.

The GT500 is a nice car, I had one. I would guess most would prefer it to the SGT because of the smoother suspension actually.

I am not a drag racer, I am a road course guy.

I am familiar with the SGTs, SGT/SCs and GT500s, having owned them all. Each a nice car in it's own right.

I can't speak about the newer GT500s, I have no experience with them.

As long as it does not experience heat soak, any 11 up car with SVT suspension will be faster than a stock Shelby GT. Supercharge the GT and all bets are off

concur. Like pullin' the pin on a hand grenade and how long can you hold the spoon down. I would recommend a maximum of 7-9 psi for longevity. I know there are many people here with 550 Whipples and 11 psi on a stock upper and lower. But it certainly decreases the longevity. IMO. I am sure you can drive a 4.6 Whiiple 550 forever if you do not drive it hard. I would think that would also be impossible to have that power under your right foot and not use it. Again, JMO.

When SVT came out with the 03 Cobra Mustang they were forced to use the iron block.. They tried many stock 4.6 blocks and blew up every one . The 4.6 SGT block can only handle so much HP then BOOM.I read this back in 2003 and it allways stuck in my head.

When SVT came out with the 03 Cobra Mustang they were forced to use the iron block.. They tried many stock 4.6 blocks and blew up every one . The 4.6 SGT block can only handle so much HP then BOOM.I read this back in 2003 and it allways stuck in my head.

I could be wrong, but pretty sure with 3V 4.6l's, the block is NOT the weak link... I THINK the frpp aluminators use a factory aluminum block and simply put in forged internals and are good to over 700hp. You can buy rotating assemblies from reputable speed shops that will tell you they will hold to 800 hp in a stock 3v block. No clue about the 03 cobra issues at all.

I could be wrong, but pretty sure with 3V 4.6l's, the block is NOT the weak link... I THINK the frpp aluminators use a factory aluminum block and simply put in forged internals and are good to over 700hp. You can buy rotating assemblies from reputable speed shops that will tell you they will hold to 800 hp in a stock 3v block. No clue about the 03 cobra issues at all.

When I compared my exploded stock block to the aluminator, it clearly had more webing in the sides and more thickness in the same areas where mine blew apart. Now if this was just a new more updated block then the 2006 or upgrade to the aluminator block, I'm not sure at this point. After I saw the size of the rods in the stock bottom end, I was shocked that these motors can take much boost. Those are the smallest rods (thickness) I've ever seen in a V8. You can see the remains of some rods in this photo. Yea, this is the oil pan shot.

120_0084.jpg

:hysterical2:

I just spit coffee all over! Satan himself..........too funny!

When I first saw my SGT, I was in love. To me, a Vista Blue 08SGT is pretty close to being the finest looking Mustang ever made! I loved every minute of driving it. It turned heads everywhere it went and I just had to laugh at the fools who got that stupid look on their face when you told them it wasn't supercharged. Most of the ones with any sense (and the ones you knew were car folks) just asked how many horses and were impressed enough knowing how much fun 320 would be in a car like that.

The iron block had nothing to do with strength and everything to do with money. The Teksid aluminum blocks in the 96-98 Cobra's were good for something like a thousand HP if I recall correctly. Then, like now with the 4.6's, the issue was the durability of the insides not the block.

When I compared my exploded stock block to the aluminator, it clearly had more webing in the sides and more thickness in the same areas where mine blew apart. Now if this was just a new more updated block then the 2006 or upgrade to the aluminator block, I'm not sure at this point. After I saw the size of the rods in the stock bottom end, I was shocked that these motors can take much boost. Those are the smallest rods (thickness) I've ever seen in a V8. You can see the remains of some rods in this photo. Yea, this is the oil pan shot. 120_0084.jpg

Condolences on the engine, but thanks for sharing the pics. I'm always fascinated by pictures of messed up engines. It's amazing what can happen when things go wrong inside.

Too many factors. Is the SGT a stick or an automatic? Which supercharger? What other mods to the SGT, gears?

If we're talking an automatic SGT with a Paxton, no gears, no converter, the GT500 would take it depending on the tires and launch.

SGT w/whipple, 5 speed, would be probably a tie, maybe edge to SGT, again depending on tires.

Where I live (mile high Bandimere Speedway), most stock 07-09 GT500's on street tires run mid 13's. My buddies 07 SGT with a whipple, 4:10's (5 speed) on street tires runs pretty much flat 13. On race tires he's running 12.60's.

My GT-H with stock engine, automatic, 3:55's, Paxton, did a best of 13.90's. When I tried to bump up boost and a few other things, it went boom. Hopefully this year with the Aluminator, heads, converter, 4:10's and other things, better be high 11's or I'll be very unhappy.

wow, you guys lose a bunch of ET with all that elevation......my wifes bone stock 08 SGT runs 13.7 at 104 all day here........no blower, no nothing, 319 hp/auto.......

Archived