TEAM SHELBY FORUM

No...Its not a GT500...

yoggiebhr

SSHHhhhhh!!!! svt13 might hear you and jump on board - quick back to" NO....it's not a GT500"

Those were just cars for the secretaries - nothing special - but still built in CALIFORNIA ! :hysterical2: AND NOT A GT500 !

LOL...

I'll give him (svt13) though. He takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'.

People talk more shit about him than a Chinese radio station on the Russian border talks, and he takes it all pretty well.

Phill

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well all Mustangs are conceived im Michigan as that is where they have always been designed. But CS breathed life and DNA in to the vehicles in Vegas for the SGT and late model GT 350's and yes Venice for 65-67. And then Ford took over production and it was just a Mustang with lettering, fake scoops, and stripes. Ford wanted to sell Mustangs with more options such as AC, back seats, etc for more profit. Did CS authorize his name on the vehicles.......yes. He sold his name, and the name Cobra and others to Ford. That is no secret. But the creator no longer breathed life and DNA in to the 67-70 Mustangs.

Well all Mustangs are conceived im Michigan as that is where they have always been designed. But CS breathed life and DNA in to the vehicles in Vegas for the SGT and late model GT 350's and yes Venice for 65-67. And then Ford took over production and it was just a Mustang with lettering, fake scoops, and stripes. Ford wanted to sell Mustangs with more options such as AC, back seats, etc for more profit. Did CS authorize his name on the vehicles.......yes. He sold his name, and the name Cobra and others to Ford. That is no secret. But the creator no longer breathed life and DNA in to the 67-70 Mustangs.

hahahahhahahhaha! Lucky the SGT doesn't have any fake scoops eh? And I kinda wish I had ford's stripes on mine, they show their age a little better than mine do....

You should just enjoy your car and not worry about making anybody think one shelby is better or more authentic than another...

I don't really care, I like the way my car looks. Much more than I like the GT500, that's why I bought it. If I preferred the 500, I would have bought one. To me it's just personal preference. If you want more power, then it's pretty clear who has more of that, but for me, it's really about styling.

I'm not trying to put anyone's ride down because I like them all

LOL...

I'll give him (svt13) though. He takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'.

People talk more shit about him than a Chinese radio station on the Russian border talks, and he takes it all pretty well.

Phill

So very true... I'd like to meet him some day. I've invited him to Carlisle, but he doesn't seem interested. :shrug:

Wow... This thread was like a train wreck. I couldn't stop reading it.

LOL...I was at a little get together tonight with others of our Mustang club. There are a few GT500's in the group and one of them was there tonight. A young Mustang GT driver stopped to look at the cars and walked up to mine and said "Oh, I love these GT500's, can I see the engine" I tried to explain the difference and when I opened the hood, thats when he said "Oh, its just a GT"

I was in a bit of a mood earlier...I'm much better now. LOL

Tolerance for those that don't know. I personally think the SGT is a super car. :rockon:

"They" just don't know.

EXACTLY... :doh:

I love these threads. Make me laugh

+100000 Timmeh! It's amazing how many times this subject goes around.

..."and a trip to Las Vegas"....

OK, guys, knock it off. This is like watching an old episode of Falcon Crest or Dynasty.

Jer

:extinguish: There goes Jer... Putting out another fire on TS. :salute:

I think it all comes down to the driver. 500 HP+ means nothing if a driver cannot drive it, and 400 HP+ can get around the track with a kick ass driver. Guys, why argue? You both have awsome cars, just built differently. It is a Shelby, no matter if it is from Ford or converted at SAI. You both have the very best of the Mustang brand, a Shelby. Hell, I am so proud of my car and it is not even a real Shelby! TS is suppose to be like a family, so little and big brother needs to stop talking like one is better than the other. You both are bonded by a special blood tie, SHELBY. Take it from the adopted red headed stepchild, a 65' clone owner in the TS family. You both have Shelby and a common intrest! We need to go out there and stomp on the compitition, not on each other. I would love to own either one of your cars!

As always Dennis... Well said. :salute:

WOW - I didn't know that L.A.X. was located in Venice or Vegas ! :drop: OR that ALL mustangs are conceived in Michigan ? Here I thought that 1965 Shelby's were conceived at the San Jose , California plant and were sent for final assembly in L.A. ( aren't those both in CALIFORNIA ? ) :rockon:

What about Metuchen, NJ? They made 'em there too... :shrug: But they were only '68's so they weren't really Shelby's... :stirpot:

While I definitely prefer the pedigree of the SGT.............I sure wish I had 500 HP. One reason I bought the SGT is because I could not afford the GT 500. But I do prefer the handling of the 2007 SGT to the 2007 GT 500. But oh that 500 HP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Instant Woody!!!!!!!!

While I definitely prefer the pedigree of the SGT.............I sure wish I had 500 HP. One reason I bought the SGT is because I could not afford the GT 500. But I do prefer the handling of the 2007 SGT to the 2007 GT 500. But oh that 500 HP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Instant Woody!!!!!!!!

Supercharge it.

The Shelby GT is a much better handling car. You can fight physics and that large motor that sits on the front wheels of a GT500 is a force to be reconed with in good and bad ways. A GT500 can be made to behave on track and a Shelby GT can have HP added. Both great cars, both real Shelbys. The CSM is a nice add though

Just be like me. Blow up your GT motor, build up a new one, go crazy, and by the time you're done, you could have bought a 2013/14 GT500. doh....... :banghead::doh::drop:

Heck, if I dare add it up with the paint job and everything else, could probably be a WB Super Snake...... I don't want to do that. I probably would still like the H the best.

Couldn't afford the jump from a SGT to a GT 500 and can't afford to supercharge either. It will have to remain stock and be thankful for what I have. May be some add-ons some day but not that much. Again, hoping to keep what I have and not lose it in this economy.

Helix,

Every time I see your CobraStar emblem in your avitar, I think I need to get my SWB Lincoln MK8 out. I have that emblem on the nose and the sides.

Figure need to divert this thread again! :hysterical:

Just be like me. Blow up your GT motor, build up a new one, go crazy, and by the time you're done, you could have bought a 2013/14 GT500. doh....... :banghead::doh::drop:

Heck, if I dare add it up with the paint job and everything else, could probably be a WB Super Snake...... I don't want to do that. I probably would still like the H the best.

Have you seen the new Roush S3? He's putting in a aluminator 5.0 that is producing 675HP!

Holy crap. Lighter than a GT500 with more HP. I'm not sure of the price though so it may be cheaper than a GT5 or more expensive...

Still, VERY impressive for a 5 Liter motor!

Phill

Helix,

Every time I see your CobraStar emblem in your avitar, I think I need to get my SWB Lincoln MK8 out. I have that emblem on the nose and the sides.

Figure need to divert this thread again! :hysterical:

OMG, Lincoln talk... We really have pushed this thread to the extremes. Lotsa fun.

All this HP talk is making me dizzy though. Folks, it's not how much HP you have, it's

what you do with that power that counts. Take it from the guy last year at Summit Point

who sat in his instructor's Miata white knuckling it while he lapped two Corvettes twice.

(For those of you who were there, he would start braking for Turn 1 right after the

"2" marker.)

-Tom

MMMM....more horsepower sounds like fun. But ya know, I checked my average speed over the last tank of gas and it was 16 miles per hour. Honestly, how much more horsepower do I need in stop and go, day to day traffic. I truely enjoy my SGT, having it a dream come true. But...I'm beginning to get that sick feeling in my stomach because I've noticed the rust bubbles around the hood pins...the stripes are almost white they're so bad, and now I have to find someone I trust to fix all this and paint stripes on the car.

As far as more power...maybe Jer can arrange for free supercharger retro-fits for us SGT owners *wink*

MMMM....more horsepower sounds like fun. But ya know, I checked my average speed over the last tank of gas and it was 16 miles per hour. Honestly, how much more horsepower do I need in stop and go, day to day traffic. I truely enjoy my SGT, having it a dream come true. But...I'm beginning to get that sick feeling in my stomach because I've noticed the rust bubbles around the hood pins...the stripes are almost white they're so bad, and now I have to find someone I trust to fix all this and paint stripes on the car.

As far as more power...maybe Jer can arrange for free supercharger retro-fits for us SGT owners *wink*

I've always known that some day, I'd do a restoration on Betsy. My stripe and paint etc are fine, when they get bad I'll work them. When she was stock I could spank a buddy with a nice '69 Z28. She was pretty quick, very fast and tons of fun in the twisties.

Fast forward a couple years to late '09, trip to Vegas, less than $11k, I now have a 550+hp sweety that still corners like shes on rails, and probably still have lots less into her than your average GT500 owner. No regrets here...

If you get around Northern Ca, PM me and I'll let you drive her.

I've always known that some day, I'd do a restoration on Betsy. My stripe and paint etc are fine, when they get bad I'll work them. When she was stock I could spank a buddy with a nice '69 Z28. She was pretty quick, very fast and tons of fun in the twisties.

Fast forward a couple years to late '09, trip to Vegas, less than $11k, I now have a 550+hp sweety that still corners like shes on rails, and probably still have lots less into her than your average GT500 owner. No regrets here...

If you get around Northern Ca, PM me and I'll let you drive her.

I'll take you up on that offer for sure! I've never driven a supercharged SGT before. I've driven a couple of GT500's, including a 2013, and to me they seem a little "dull" on the bottom end. I don't mean that in a bad way, maybe I'm just used to mine with a the tune on it. Once the 500's were rolling though, they sure felt good.

The balanced weight of an SGT lends itself well to supercharging. Add brakes, and it's pretty much ready-to-go!

Jer

You think you have it rough, Imagine the time the Shelby Dodge guys have....trying to explain that their GLHS is waaay more than just a glorified lame-sauce k-car.

Simply put: If it says Shelby on it (and it's legit)....I'M THERE!!! And I'll fight anyone that talks smack about any Shelby lol.

You think you have it rough, Imagine the time the Shelby Dodge guys have....trying to explain that their GLHS is waaay more than just a glorified lame-sauce k-car.

Simply put: If it says Shelby on it (and it's legit)....I'M THERE!!! And I'll fight anyone that talks smack about any Shelby lol.

I was around when the GLHS came out and I thought it was a pretty cool little car.

Out of curiosity since we're talking about the supercharged SGT, how would it fair in a drag race against a stock 07-09 GT500?

Out of curiosity since we're talking about the supercharged SGT, how would it fair in a drag race against a stock 07-09 GT500?

Same driver and same tires, and I would guess the SGT would take it.

Too many factors. Is the SGT a stick or an automatic? Which supercharger? What other mods to the SGT, gears?

If we're talking an automatic SGT with a Paxton, no gears, no converter, the GT500 would take it depending on the tires and launch.

SGT w/whipple, 5 speed, would be probably a tie, maybe edge to SGT, again depending on tires.

Where I live (mile high Bandimere Speedway), most stock 07-09 GT500's on street tires run mid 13's. My buddies 07 SGT with a whipple, 4:10's (5 speed) on street tires runs pretty much flat 13. On race tires he's running 12.60's.

My GT-H with stock engine, automatic, 3:55's, Paxton, did a best of 13.90's. When I tried to bump up boost and a few other things, it went boom. Hopefully this year with the Aluminator, heads, converter, 4:10's and other things, better be high 11's or I'll be very unhappy.

I'll take you up on that offer for sure! I've never driven a supercharged SGT before. I've driven a couple of GT500's, including a 2013, and to me they seem a little "dull" on the bottom end. I don't mean that in a bad way, maybe I'm just used to mine with a the tune on it. Once the 500's were rolling though, they sure felt good.

I think that may be due to gearing. Compared to my 3:55 reared SGT, my 3:15 geared (auto) 2013 5.0 seems "dull" off the line...but it quickly makes up for it!

Archived