TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby 8-Quart Oil Pan

JT93

Has anyone had any problems with the Shelby 8-Quart Pan? I'm thinking about putting it on the car when I change the oil this spring. I saw in the listing that it's powder coated, my first thought is that it would be easy for the paint to chip causing the pan to rust.

http://www.shelbysto...s5se-6675-a.htm

Has anyone had any problems with the Shelby 8-Quart Pan? I'm thinking about putting it on the car when I change the oil this spring. I saw in the listing that it's powder coated, my first thought is that it would be easy for the paint to chip causing the pan to rust.

http://www.shelbysto...s5se-6675-a.htm

I have one on my 2010 GT500 5.4L engine.

It's POWDERCOATED, not painted so there is no paint to chip. A *good* powdercoat job is damn near impervious to chipping. Mine still looks brand new but in all fairness, i put very few miles per year on my car.

It is debatable if the pan is Moroso or Canton. That was beat to death in another thread a year or two back and no one from Shelby would ever confirm either brand.

I did have a problem when installing it and another TS member posted that he had the same problem. It wouldn't just slide up onto position onto the block because the oil pick-up sits slightly too far back and keeps it from being a slip fit. I removed the bolt for the pick-up tube bracket, pulled the pick-up screen over just a *hair*, put the pan up in place then replaced the bolt holding the tube in and went from there. Other than that, it was a perfect fit.

You will also need a new gasket because they use a sealer on the seams for the front cover to the block, along the pan mating surface edge. Be prepared to pay well over 50 bucks for a new gasket (I bought locally for list/MSRP, didn't have time to purchase from Tousley).

And I can't remember if you can get the pan in/out without dropping the K-member/subframe or not. I had mine dropped anyway so it didn't make a difference for me (I have a engine support brace left over from when I did it for a living).

I can't tell you exactly how much capacity the engine holds now with the new pan because my oil changes have always been free. I know they never charged me extra for the added capacity and I know it was ALWAYS at the full mark when I picked it up so they did add the extra oil for free. The ad says the PAN holds 8-qts, not including the filter so my guess is 9-qts total.

HTH,

Phill

Was the oil pick-up 'problem' just a GT500 issue or will I run into the same thing with the 4.6?

I wouldn't have an issue dropping the K-member, I'm getting ready to buy the Shelby K-member so I could just do everything at once.

Was the oil pick-up 'problem' just a GT500 issue or will I run into the same thing with the 4.6?

NO idea. And it might have only been a issue with the 2010 (the other guy had a '10 too).

But really, it is NO big deal. Unscrew a bolt, hold the pan up, pull the pick-up aside (about 1/8"), slide the pan up, replace the bolt and tighten. Then put the pan up into place and hold with a bolt on each side near the middle so you can start all of the others.

I put a K-member in too which is why I had the engine supported. It may have helped me install the headers too because I was able to take the motor mounts out of the way along with the K-member.

Phill

How much oil do you use, Andrew? I know the pan take 8 quarts, but what do you allow for the motor itself and oil filter?

I am nearly 100% sure the pan does not hold 8 quarts but it increases the overall capacity to 8 quarts when I added an oil filter relocation (which uses the large FL1A) I had to put over a quart in put I pulled the exisiting filter which had oil in it. I am thinking it will hold 9 now.

Next time I do an oil change I will post what it holds with this oil pan and relocation kit.

Archived