TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2011 GT500 daily driver rain/puddle question

Chris2dog

Maybe a dumb question, but I'll ask anyway! Just got my first Shelby, love it - it will be my DD, but here in S. Florida we can get alot of heavy rain in the summer. I read in the manual that the car shouldn't go thru a puddle deeper than the bottom of the rim???! That could be a problem! I'm a very careful driver and try to avoid deep puddles anyway, but I've had to drive my old 5.0 thru some fairly deep puddles in the past without stalling. Does anyone have any input on this?

I can't speak for the GT500 (I assume it's the same in this sense as the SGT), but I sometimes come across deeper puddles than what the manual is recommending and have no issues. Just take it slow (if possible), I don't see why there would be an issue.

I got caught out in a nasty spring storm last year. I'm sure i was pretty deep and had no issues. Might check to see what connectors are hanging low. Might look into some water proofing on them

perhaps its a lawyer thing to tell you hydroplaning might occur--my experinec is that when something doesnt make sense theres a lawyer.Having just toalled a vette while hydroplaning, i can undrestand the warning--although mine occured on just wet roads, not deep water.I have had a car hit a deeppuddle once and pull me acroiss the lane, nothing bad, no car coming th eothe direction

Thanks guys...I feel better now, I was kind of freaked out when I read that water could enter thru an intake when driving thru a deep puddle!

I am always careful, but you know there's always an idiot in an SUV going 40 mph thru standing water, throwing a tidal wave in my direction! Just trying to learn as much as I can about my car from other owners :)

Archived