TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Can you check your idler pulley for me please??

Blueline

Hey guys, I have an 11 GT500 with 9.5k miles. I took the car out for a ride today and when I got back I was just looking over the engine while it was idling. I noticed the accessory belt was moving a bit side to side at the idler pulley which sits up and to the left of the alternator. Its a smooth pulley. I parked the car and shut it off. I was able to move that idler pulley a little bit while trying to twist it to check for play. I didn't want to leave it at the dealership for them to change it so I ordered a new one from Tousley. No other pulley moves like this on the engine and Im just curious if anyone elses is doing it. I pulled the pulley and there is a tiny bit of movement in the bearing. Its the pulley where the coolant line bracket also bolts to. No need to remove anything, just see if it moves any. Thanks guys!

If you are referring to the belt tensioner pulley then yes, that part tends to take a beating and I have read of failures. High performance substitutes are available:

http://www.evoperform.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=767

If you are referring to an idler pulley designed to take up the slack from a smaller-than-stock supercharger pulley, then a high performance replacement is available from many sources, check the same link above under "pulleys."

Im referring to the stationary pulley on the accessory drive belt route. If your looking down towards the alternator you will see the smooth sided puleey above it. Mine def. moves a bit, like the bearing is shot. Now that the belt is off awaiting the arrival of the new pulley I grabbed another pulley next to it. It also moves a little. None of my 04 Cobras or other Fords did this, Im guessing on the 5.4 this is just how they are?

Blueline, ok I checked mine. The one you're talking about above the alternator, looks and feels like plastic. It very slightly moves, probably about 1/32". I'm not worried about it. From what I've read, the supercharger belt tensioner is the weakest link of the pulley systems on these cars. Your report on this idler pulley is the first I've heard. Thanks for the info.

Edit: my car=33k miles.

OK I received the new pulley today. The bearing in the brand new pulley also has some play. With the belt off the car I was able to move a bunch of the front pullies. I called my buddy who works on Fords all day. He said all the new crown vics etc have the same exact issue. He has been buying replacement bearings from a local shop and replacing them as needed. The new bearings he is picking up have no play whatsoever. I put the new replacement pulley in for now. I will keep an eye on them. My last Cobras I ran the the Metco dual bearing idlers, loved them! Thanks Secondo!

Archived