TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Side Stripes

Hi! Can anyone tell me if these stripes appear correct? I am told that they are, but they look different to me than other cars I have looked at. These are on a car I would like to purchase, but want to make sure that everything is as it should be for the price.

Thank you for any assistance.

The one on the right side does not look correct. Letters appear to be too vertical. Should be a slight tilt. The left side looks like it may be correct. Maybe someone else can tell better than I. You can look at my signature. There is a picture of the original side stripes. They have since ben replaced. Many pictures of GT-Hs on this site and or web. You can get replacements from Shelby so if the car is solid, this should not be a factor other than why were they replaced.

Here's a photo from a BJ auction ad for 07h477, auctioned at Palm Beach 2011 with less than 100 miles on the odometer. (Factory original stripes) Note slant as well as the left and right spacing of "SHELBY GT-H" on the fender (between wheel well and door seam). Hope this helps.

101988_Side_Profile_Web.jpg

The camera lens and the body contours always distort these things when examining photos. It would be hard to tell definitively from the two photos you provided, but it does not look correct to me. The lettering is too small, and the overal SHELBY GT-H wording is too narrow, etc... I wouldn't rule out the car based on this minor detail. It's easy enough to replace stripes, and despite what most people claim - it's impossible to know if these cars have original stripes or not. Many things were done by Hertz and the reselling dealerships that we have know way of knowing about. When it comes to these cars, if the stripes look near perfect it would be very tough for me to believe that they are original. You do know those wheel center caps are not original, right?

This might be of some assistance

http://shelbygth.wor...anel-lettering/

http://shelbygth.wor...tripe-research/

I don't know if my stripes are original or not, but here is what they looked like before I removed them. You can see how the camera lens bends the left side up and to the left...

IMG_20130108_155827.jpg

I have been following this blog, it is outstanding. I am going to go ahead and purchase this one and just change the stripes later. I am certain that it has been re-striped as most either have or need to be.

Thank you to all that chimed in.

I want to make the car as close to correct as possible. I am not looking for a concourse trailered queen though. I hate the thought of owning a car that cannot ever be driven for enjoyment. I did notice the center caps were the SPP type. I have Tri-Bar Running pony caps I could use in place of them. I was thinking of using a set of FRPP Boss 302S Wheels I have on it with these GT-H caps occasionally and get the originals repainted and only use for shows.

Good plan. Making decisions based on the best available information is an owner's right and privilege. Just because you know what is factory correct (if you are lucky), doesn't mean you can't take liberties from that point to make personal improvements. This is different than simply copying what others have done and not realizing if those details are correct or not! Information is power.

Archived