TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hey guys just bought mine

I'm assuming it's a Charger? If it's the 'pizza wheels' you're planning on selling, here's a link to a thread on the TurboDodge BB where, (when scrolling thru), you'll see someone offered to buy my set, (I'm keeping them). You may want to contact him. I sent him a similar note, last night, BTW.

Oh yes, the link:

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f1/f191/409863-87-shelby-charger.html

PS: Pics, we demand pics!! :camera:

I'm assuming it's a Charger? If it's the 'pizza wheels' you're planning on selling, here's a link to a thread on the TurboDodge BB where, (when scrolling thru), you'll see someone offered to buy my set, (I'm keeping them). You may want to contact him. I sent him a similar note, last night, BTW.

Oh yes, the link:

http://www.turbododg...by-charger.html

PS: Pics, we demand pics!! :camera:

Wayne, your wheels are 5 lug. BrutalVirgo's would be 4 lug if it is a non-turbo car.

The Shelby Chargers weren't numbered, so I don't think there is any way of knowing where yours was in the production line. I've never owned or even driven an HO car, but I've always had a certain respect for the 83.5 cars as they are the originals. At first glance they look like every other Shelby Charger, but upon closer inspection they are actually quite different from the later year cars.

p.s. and yes, the n/a's ran higher compression. I don't have the exact numbers handy, but I think the h.o. was about 9.6:1 and the TI 8.1:1

I want a turbo seems I'm the only one with out one and only one with out a sunroof lol, it's a 83 say it was made in march, how can I find what number it is cause I know it's a early number research I've done on vins havnt told me

The cheapest & easiest way to accomplish that would be one of the following:

1) Sell the 83 and purchase a 1985-87 turbo model or

2) Purchase a 1985-87 turbo Shelby Charger parts car and swap the turbo drivetrain over.

Personally I'd sell the 1983 and go with a factory turbo 1985-87 Charger. Your 1983 is a four speed, the turbo's are 5 speeds. Your 1983 has 4 lug wheels, the turbo's are 5 speed. Your 1983 has a mechanical fuel pump with a single line, the turbo's have electric fuel pump and a return fuel line.

Sure all the turbo parts could be swapped over to the 1983 car but 1985-87 Shelby Chargers are cheap. Much easier and in the long run, probably cheaper to start with a 1985-87 turbo car. Now if your set on the earlier look of the 1983 car then all you can do is work with what you have.

All the best either way you go.

Steve

The cheapest & easiest way to accomplish that would be one of the following:

1) Sell the 83 and purchase a 1985-87 turbo model or

2) Purchase a 1985-87 turbo Shelby Charger parts car and swap the turbo drivetrain over.

Personally I'd sell the 1983 and go with a factory turbo 1985-87 Charger. Your 1983 is a four speed, the turbo's are 5 speeds. Your 1983 has 4 lug wheels, the turbo's are 5 speed. Your 1983 has a mechanical fuel pump with a single line, the turbo's have electric fuel pump and a return fuel line.

Sure all the turbo parts could be swapped over to the 1983 car but 1985-87 Shelby Chargers are cheap. Much easier and in the long run, probably cheaper to start with a 1985-87 turbo car. Now if your set on the earlier look of the 1983 car then all you can do is work with what you have.

All the best either way you go.

Steve

The 83 could be an auto too right?

I'm not sure you should regret not having a turbo that badly to sell it. Think of it this way, you have a great car and if you take it to a huge show with a lot of Shelby's, you might have the one no one else has.

Either way, looks great.

I'm not sure you should regret not having a turbo that badly to sell it. Think of it this way, you have a great car and if you take it to a huge show with a lot of Shelby's, you might have the one no one else has.

Either way, looks great.

Why not both? B) (I know, money, space to store...etc.)

I'm considering (if one ever shows up, that is), an uber-slow (from what I've heard), '84 automatic, to replace my (GASP) Mustang. The wife's bad back prevents her from riding in my '87, no matter how slow I drive, and carefully I shift the 5 speed, it causes much pain. Figure the auto would be easier for her to ride AND, she could drive it, too! (One was sold on Ebay, around the time i bought mine, last year, that, I vaguely remember, was in pretty good shape. No doubt comparable to the used Horizon automatic we owned, lo, those many years ago).

It's been about twenty years since I last saw an auto Shelby Charger (and I've only ever seen the one). History has not been kind to them.

Yep, so i've heard! That's why I'm not 'holding my breath'! From what i've read, Shelby cancelled the automatics ASAP after seeing their (lack of) performance!

• 2 weeks later...

http://minneapolis.c...3720923289.html

How about this one Wayne?

Absolutely! (Thanks for the link on FB, BTW, Stephen)!

Just posted a request on the Shelby-Dodge Board for anyone that could do a drive by inspection of the '84!

Should definitely get a pro-inspection done if the initial 'look-see' is good!

Absolutely! (Thanks for the link on FB, BTW, Stephen)!

Just posted a request on the Shelby-Dodge Board for anyone that could do a drive by inspection of the '84!

Should definitely get a pro-inspection done if the initial 'look-see' is good!

That link is gone already... that didn't take long. Did you buy it?

• 2 weeks later...

Appears that the wife is 'nervous' that I'm going to end up with THREE 'Hobby' cars, I guess! Going on 32 years of marriage, so I do appreciate her input. (No 'henpecked' jokes please)!

What I said BEFORE I bought The Black Racer was that i was going to sell The Secretaries Car...but we still have both! (The Mustang's 50th is next year....it's hard to let that 64 1/2 go)!

Getting the shift bushings upgraded on the Black Racer (my local mechanic is doing it for me) this coming week. No more missing 1st for R...HOPEFULLY! ;^)

(OR 3rd for 5th)!

Archived