TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Why not to leave your car on a trickle charger!

loki805

What's the story on this? What type of charger? If just a constant trickle charger, I can understand this, but if it was a tender or something of that nature with the function to stop charging when the battery is full, then that is a different story.

Don't have the whole story yet. no it was not my car. mine is still safe in the garage. This was one of my wifes parteners at work. My understanding is he had the car and his bike on the same maintainer with the cables crossed over each other and they melted and caught the car on fire. I don't know what brand it was but will ask.

This isn't a trickle charger issue by the sounds of it. This is a Darwin award candidate.

+1 No way you should use one maintainer on 2 vehicles at the same time. Can't understand this kind of stupidity. I have been using high quality chargers on my vehicles all my life. Never a problem. Currently I have a CTEK unit. Awesome piece of equipment. I use it on ONE vehicle at a time.

Hurts to look at but doesn't sound like it was entirely the trickle chargers fault.

+1 That's why I didn't want a charger that I could use on two cars/bike/etc. Overheating electrical parts never turns out well...

+1 No way you should use one maintainer on 2 vehicles at the same time. Can't understand this kind of stupidity. I have been using high quality chargers on my vehicles all my life. Never a problem. Currently I have a CTEK unit. Awesome piece of equipment. I use it on ONE vehicle at a time.

Same here, love my CTEK, I charge my Porsche one weekend and the Shelby the weekend after, takes both one night to fully charge. I do not keep it on them, just charge each every other weekend. Works like a charm!!!!!!!

I have three different chargers....a Griots on the SGT (not sure who makes it), and two Wal-Marter's ( one is a Schumacher and the other a ???) on my motorhome coach batteries (which reside in my garage during the winter).

Not sure what happened here but from the info provided it sounds like a jerry-rig gone bad.

I have battery tenders on all my vehicles when not in use and have for over ten years with 0 problem. Nothing on any of them gets hot enough to melt or catch fire. I would like to know the complete story, sounds like something is being left out.

Thanks for the tip!

What (if any) other CTEK model(s) is everyone using?

I started out with the 3300 and have used that for the past 3-4 years on various vehicles, from my ATV's to my truck and loved it. I recently bought the 4.3 which is there newer improved version of the 3300 with a couple more charging steps and a pulse charge after ten days instead of the standard float charge. I use both, have the 4.3 on the Shelby and the 3300 on my wife's car cause we car pool most of the time. Oh and both have the rubber cover hehe.

Archived