TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shifter for Street/City Driving

jfried

Hey everyone,

I know there's a ton of shifter topics on this board, but had a question that sort of looks at the other perspective. I installed a drivetrain from a wrecked 07 40th Anniversary edition into a 05 GT, which I believe had the Steeda Short throw shifter installed.

After a winter driving an Audi RS4, the Mustang's short throw shifter is kind of driving me nuts. I don't race, so ideally would like to put something in that has a longer throw, and maybe a bit lighter as well.

I've heard good things about the MGW shifter, but am wondering how it compares to a stock shifter in terms of throw, weight, etc... and whether or not I would be better off looking to find a stock shifter?

Also, I'm looking at replacing the clutch to find something that is a bit lighter, with a more progressive engagement than the stocker, I've heard great things about the McLeod RXT, would this be a good choice for me? If so, what type of flywheel are people using?

Regarding the shifter, the MGW is fully adjustable for throw, so you can tailor it exactly the way you want it. I would avoid the stock shifter like the plague. The length of the throw is not the issue, but how horrifyingly sloppy it is. I referred to it as a "noodle in a bowl of spaghetti." I switched out for a Shelby shifter, and it was a definite improvement over stock. I now have an MGW shifter prepped and ready to go in because I wanted to firm things up another notch. I've never used the Steeda shifter, so I'm afraid I can't offer a direct comparison to what you have.