TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Removing SGT Hood Scoop

I'm looking to remove my hood scoop to replace the hood stripe that was ruined last fall while the car was getting detailed and waxed. I figured I might as well take care of all the upgrades/repairs at one time before I take the car in for painting in a month or so. I've read through a couple threads on what others have done, I'm just looking to see if there are any updates on what the proper removal of the rivets is - I don't want to ruin the hood scoop by having a rivet head spin. I'm going to be taking the hood off the car (and the hood blanket) to help get a better angle at the rivet heads.

I just used a good quality 1/8 inch drill bit and drilled at a medium speed with very light pressure. No problem at all. Be gentle as you only want to go through the robot and no further. Not that bad at all.

This ^^^^^^^

Take your time and I went ahead and got 2 brand new bits so I knew they would be sharp

I did not remove the hood and was fine (hood blanket was already gone) just laid a blanket over the engine to catch the shavings

Before you start, which version of the hood scoop do you have? It makes a big difference as the original scoop is not riveted on, it actually has 8 bolts underneath the scoop holding it on. If you have the replacement scoop, 2nd and 3rd gen. they were riveted on. I have pics of my original scoop being replaced if you need them for reference.

Robert

I'm not sure which generation I have. I do know that it is riveted on. I know because the dealer that had to replace the front end was an :censored: and tried to send the original hood back without taking the scoop off because it was riveted on and "too much work." Needless to say, the car hasn't been back since and I'm still trying to fix the things they did wrong.

Can't remember the drill bit size, I also used RivNuts and the Rivet Nut Tool

I will look and see I I can find what size Riv nuts I used and if I can find the tool I will send it to you

Andrew

Saw the website, but not understanding what the rivnut tool does exactly. Is it necessary?

Would like to know which ones you purchased as I will be replacing my stripes next month as well. http://www.mcmaster....et-nuts/=lup5ij

Thanks,

Matt

I can't say enough that, no matter how much a PITA it is, that you read though the "hood scoop" and "stripe threads" found here. There have been many options tried and tricks applied. Only some of which have been noted here. Point being you have options and it's important to now only know what has worked well, but also what hasn't, and potentially save you a lot of grief.

Good luck!

I think I still have ole devil bunny's tool in my box as no one needed it after I borrowed it. GG

I completely forgot! (I've got another one anyway!)

As stated above, double-check that your scoop is indeed riveted on - no sense in drilling out FAKE rivets!

I also think rivnuts are the way to go - easy on, easy off!

I went ahead and chopped a hole in the hood so my Chip Beck scoop is "functional"!

(Note larger holes were from original scoop)

gallery_13043_1123_8028.jpg

Sam

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I have a 2007 SGT with the original rubber? scoop that is screwed at the front and bolted on in the other areas. Instead of rivets it has stainless screws around the perimeter with only the two front penetrating the hood and held with place with lock nuts. I bought a new scoop from Shelby. It is fiberglass and came with no holes drilled, set of pop rivets and a roll of black tape for the stripe. It came with no instructions and a verbal recommendation from Shelby to have a body shop install it or follow threads on the forum. I cannot find any information that is complete, just some sad stories of tape wrinkling or multiple body shop attempts before satisfaction. Has anyone out there seen detailed instructions on how to get this done right?

Thank you, Mike

Hi everyone, I have a 2007 SGT with the original rubber? scoop that is screwed at the front and bolted on in the other areas. Instead of rivets it has stainless screws around the perimeter with only the two front penetrating the hood and held with place with lock nuts. I bought a new scoop from Shelby. It is fiberglass and came with no holes drilled, set of pop rivets and a roll of black tape for the stripe. It came with no instructions and a verbal recommendation from Shelby to have a body shop install it or follow threads on the forum. I cannot find any information that is complete, just some sad stories of tape wrinkling or multiple body shop attempts before satisfaction. Has anyone out there seen detailed instructions on how to get this done right?Thank you, Mike

Mike, PM me your email address, I'll send you the Install Instructions. No problem.

Jer

• 2 years later...

Archived