TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The Shelby Harness Bar is NOW AVAILABLE!

Jer

This is the Corbeau system right?

Yes, we felt their system was the best-engineered, and wanted Shelby owners to have their OWN version. We custom milled logo plates for them, and still offer them at the same price.

Jer

Very cool Jer! Now just waiting for Shelby to offer a harness system.

Everyone check out this thread: http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/79449-shelby-track-specials-waiting/

Jer

In my car:

Jer

Screen Shot 2013-03-12 at 6.27.10 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2013-03-12 at 6.27.33 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2013-03-12 at 6.27.33 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2013-03-12 at 6.27.10 PM.jpg

Some interesting info I found on the web about harness not sure if it is all true but a good read.

Just use the rear seat seatbelt mount points, and the driver lap belt mount points to secure the harness.

And correct, this should never be used as any sort of safety restraint.

The passenger submarined out of his 4 point sparco harness and was ejected. The driver hit the steering wheel like he wasn't even restrained. Never use anything but your OEM safety equipment on the street. Harnesses are a potentially deadly addition to any vehicle.

180166_10150090827896821_653636820_6712672_657300_n-2.jpg

As far as safety restaint system, yes, all harness bars are absolute crap. Glad you can see the dangers here. A collison at an autocross is highly unlikely, but just having that bar in your car on the street, even if you're using your OEM 3 point belt, it can be a fatal mistake.

Okay, I'm making this post in an attempt to save the OP or anyone else who wishes to install a harness, harness bar, or roll cage from ending up paralyzed or dead. I see improperly used and improperly installed equipment on a regular basis, and it kills me to see people risking their lives and their passengers lives simply because they don't have the pertinent information.

You NEVER mount harnesses to the floor, period. What is keeping you from doing a face plant on the steering wheel/dash in a front end collision? The seatback? That seat would snap like a toothpick. Not only that, as you fly forward into the dash, and you will, in even a low speed accident, the harness is going to pull down on your shoulders and compress your spine causing a debilitating or fatal back injury.

Furthermore, harnesses, harness bars, and roll cages have no place in a street car, period.

DO NOT USE HARNESS BARS for safety equipment. Use a bolted or welded in roll cage. But you are putting your life on the line if you use a roll cage, or even a harness bar without wearing a helmet AT ALL TIMES in the car. I know of someone who was killed in a 25mph collision when he bumped his head on his harness bar.

DO NOT USE ROLL BARS/CAGES on the street. You should never get into a car that has any type of roll cage or roll bar in it unless you wear a helmet at all times. See above for a further explaination of why a helmet is necessary.

DO NOT USE 4 POINT HARNESSES. Use 5 or 6 point harnesses. The reason you submarine out of a 4 point harness is that your upper body does not lean forward and over the lap belt like it would with a 3 point. Thus, the g forces force your body out under the lap belt. The act of submarining out of a belt is going to seriously injure and potentially kill you, but once you've submarined out of the harness, you can also be ejected from the car. Also, if you have a 5 or 6 point harness and it works as it should, it decelerates your torso instantly in a frontal impact, but your head will continue moving forward. This will result in a debilitating or fatal neck injury or instantly fatal basular skull fracture. Oh and that front airbag, forget about it because you'll never reach it if the harness works. Never use a harness on the street, period.

Next, harnesses should only be mounted at shoulder level and mounted only to a welded or bolted in roll cage, period. Mounting to the floor, or rear seatbelt mounts, causes the harness to pull down on your shoulders and crush your spine when you are in a frontal impact, causing a debilitating or fatal back injury. Also, you will be hitting the steering wheel/dash with full force if you've bolted the harness to the floor. The only place I would say that it is remotely safe to use an improperly installed harness is the autocross. This is because collisions at autocross events are more than rare, so you would not be at much risk of using the harness as a safety restraint. But, injuries are still possible, at least you can now weigh the risks and make an informed decision as to whether or not you use this equipment in your car.

STREET CARS DO NOT USE AFTERMARKET SEATS. Well, they don't when they have integral airbags in the seats. When you remove the seats with airbags, the airbag light comes on, and you have now DISABLED EVERY AIRBAG IN THE CAR. You have no more front, side, or curtain airbags. You have also put yourself in hot water with your insurance company by removing your factory safety equipment. If you or someone else is injured or killed in your vehicle, even if the accident is the other guy's fault, you are going to get sued, along with the guy who hit you.

I've had several people mention that 'race cars' use this type of safety equipment, but....

Also consider that accidents in race cars are NOT usually as severe as accidents on the street. Everyone is going the same direction on a race track, so no head on collisions. The track is lined with tire walls and barriers so that it is highly unlikely that you could hit a solid object like a tree. The track is set up so that collisions are deflected and cars can't decelerate all at once. There should be no spot on a track where you can go head on into something and decelerate instantly. On the street, the hazards and potential impacts are far greater in likelihood and severity than on a track.

Furthermore, The safety equipment used in 'race cars' is a system, period. You cannot pick and choose what equipment you want to use. No harness without a HANS, no HANS without a helmet, no cage without a helmet, the list keeps going in circles. YOU NEED EVERYTHING. Race car drivers do not piecemeal their safety equipment together.

The factory safety equipment is the best possible design for street use and is also a system. When you remove or change one piece, nothing else works like it should. It kills me to see people risking and losing their lives so that they can have some Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancements on their cars.

If self preservation is at all alive within you, use your factory safety equipment AND ONLY YOUR FACTORY SAFETY EQUIPMENT on the street.

We have to be careful with how much we take from what’s found on the enterwebs. Not knowing where the above reference photo and editorial come from but there is far too little information within it to assume that any/all harness bars are 'unsafe'. I'm not passing judgment in one direction or the other concerning a harness bar but there is a lot to be considered when installing any items as a "safety supplement'. Agreed, safety devices within a vehicle must work as a system, but that system is only as effective as its execution. Any system that is poorly designed and/or installed is unsafe. As well as how that system is used. Before Enhart's accident many would have considered a NASCAR about as safe as one could get in racing. Point being there will always be scenarios where no level of safety equipment will keep you safe enough.

It’s my understanding that a harness bar's purpose is to hold you squarely in the seat and is ideal in autocross events (solo vehicle, open space, low speed, lots of lateral direction changes). A harness bar is not intended to save you in a collision, but I would not take that to mean they are unsafe when used as intended in the environment intended when well designed, manufactured and installed.

We have to be careful with how much we take from what’s found on the enterwebs. Not knowing where the above reference photo and editorial come from but there is far too little information within it to assume that any/all harness bars are 'unsafe'. I'm not passing judgment in one direction or the other concerning a harness bar but there is a lot to be considered when installing any items as a "safety supplement'. Agreed, safety devices within a vehicle must work as a system, but that system is only as effective as its execution. Any system that is poorly designed and/or installed is unsafe. As well as how that system is used. Before Enhart's accident many would have considered a NASCAR about as safe as one could get in racing. Point being there will always be scenarios where no level of safety equipment will keep you safe enough.

It’s my understanding that a harness bar's purpose is to hold you squarely in the seat and is ideal in autocross events (solo vehicle, open space, low speed, lots of lateral direction changes). A harness bar is not intended to save you in a collision, but I would not take that to mean they are unsafe when used as intended in the environment intended when well designed, manufactured and installed.

I think you hit the nail on the head "when used as intended in the environment intended". I see a lot of folks adding steel to the passenger compartment of their cars. If your goal is to use your car for track or autocross great by all means add it. You now have a car that is going to keep you safe in track or autocross conditions (helmet on, helmet and arms tethered) but do not take your car back on to the street without removing the steel from the passenger compartment. Our cars have very good crash ratings due to air bags, soft surfaces, and crumple zones. You change the whole game when you add steel to the inside of your car. body vs steel = steel wins, body vs padded steel = body losses again. Just my 2 cents sorry 5 cents (we don't have pennies any more up here).

A quote that's been around motorsports for a while:

“As we all know, any time we get into a car, whether on the street or on the track, our lives are at risk. Motorsports in general is very dangerous, for many it's that element that drives them to this sport. Too often, injuries are a result of improper installation or just carelessness in general. Luckily in most cases the safety products save lives and for every tragic story there are several more on how the product prevented injury or death. No matter what aftermarket product you choose to put on your vehicle, the key is to make sure it is installed correctly or as intended by the manufacturer. If you ever have questions be sure to call the manufacturer for further direction. “

• 2 weeks later...

Very cool Jer! Now just waiting for Shelby to offer a harness system.

Oh i'm waiting already for some years to buy a good Shelby harness system that i can use for street and track driving.

Would buy some 4 point for the street and some 5 point harnesses for the track if i have the option.

Can't wait that the racing season at the Nürburgring is starting again. :yahoo:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Some interesting info I found on the web about harness not sure if it is all true but a good read.

Just use the rear seat seatbelt mount points, and the driver lap belt mount points to secure the harness.

The passenger submarined out of his 4 point sparco harness and was ejected. The driver hit the steering wheel like he wasn't even restrained. Never use anything but your OEM safety equipment on the street. Harnesses are a potentially deadly addition to any vehicle.

As far as safety restaint system, yes, all harness bars are absolute crap. Glad you can see the dangers here. A collison at an autocross is highly unlikely, but just having that bar in your car on the street, even if you're using your OEM 3 point belt, it can be a fatal mistake.

Okay, I'm making this post in an attempt to save the OP or anyone else who wishes to install a harness, harness bar, or roll cage from ending up paralyzed or dead. I see improperly used and improperly installed equipment on a regular basis, and it kills me to see people risking their lives and their passengers lives simply because they don't have the pertinent information.

You NEVER mount harnesses to the floor, period. What is keeping you from doing a face plant on the steering wheel/dash in a front end collision? The seatback? That seat would snap like a toothpick. Not only that, as you fly forward into the dash, and you will, in even a low speed accident, the harness is going to pull down on your shoulders and compress your spine causing a debilitating or fatal back injury.

Furthermore, harnesses, harness bars, and roll cages have no place in a street car, period.

DO NOT USE HARNESS BARS for safety equipment. Use a bolted or welded in roll cage. But you are putting your life on the line if you use a roll cage, or even a harness bar without wearing a helmet AT ALL TIMES in the car. I know of someone who was killed in a 25mph collision when he bumped his head on his harness bar.

DO NOT USE ROLL BARS/CAGES on the street. You should never get into a car that has any type of roll cage or roll bar in it unless you wear a helmet at all times. See above for a further explaination of why a helmet is necessary.

DO NOT USE 4 POINT HARNESSES. Use 5 or 6 point harnesses. The reason you submarine out of a 4 point harness is that your upper body does not lean forward and over the lap belt like it would with a 3 point. Thus, the g forces force your body out under the lap belt. The act of submarining out of a belt is going to seriously injure and potentially kill you, but once you've submarined out of the harness, you can also be ejected from the car. Also, if you have a 5 or 6 point harness and it works as it should, it decelerates your torso instantly in a frontal impact, but your head will continue moving forward. This will result in a debilitating or fatal neck injury or instantly fatal basular skull fracture. Oh and that front airbag, forget about it because you'll never reach it if the harness works. Never use a harness on the street, period.

Next, harnesses should only be mounted at shoulder level and mounted only to a welded or bolted in roll cage, period. Mounting to the floor, or rear seatbelt mounts, causes the harness to pull down on your shoulders and crush your spine when you are in a frontal impact, causing a debilitating or fatal back injury. Also, you will be hitting the steering wheel/dash with full force if you've bolted the harness to the floor. The only place I would say that it is remotely safe to use an improperly installed harness is the autocross. This is because collisions at autocross events are more than rare, so you would not be at much risk of using the harness as a safety restraint. But, injuries are still possible, at least you can now weigh the risks and make an informed decision as to whether or not you use this equipment in your car.

STREET CARS DO NOT USE AFTERMARKET SEATS. Well, they don't when they have integral airbags in the seats. When you remove the seats with airbags, the airbag light comes on, and you have now DISABLED EVERY AIRBAG IN THE CAR. You have no more front, side, or curtain airbags. You have also put yourself in hot water with your insurance company by removing your factory safety equipment. If you or someone else is injured or killed in your vehicle, even if the accident is the other guy's fault, you are going to get sued, along with the guy who hit you.

I've had several people mention that 'race cars' use this type of safety equipment, but....

Also consider that accidents in race cars are NOT usually as severe as accidents on the street. Everyone is going the same direction on a race track, so no head on collisions. The track is lined with tire walls and barriers so that it is highly unlikely that you could hit a solid object like a tree. The track is set up so that collisions are deflected and cars can't decelerate all at once. There should be no spot on a track where you can go head on into something and decelerate instantly. On the street, the hazards and potential impacts are far greater in likelihood and severity than on a track.

Furthermore, The safety equipment used in 'race cars' is a system, period. You cannot pick and choose what equipment you want to use. No harness without a HANS, no HANS without a helmet, no cage without a helmet, the list keeps going in circles. YOU NEED EVERYTHING. Race car drivers do not piecemeal their safety equipment together.

The factory safety equipment is the best possible design for street use and is also a system. When you remove or change one piece, nothing else works like it should. It kills me to see people risking and losing their lives so that they can have some Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancements on their cars.

If self preservation is at all alive within you, use your fac

If self preservation is at all alive within you, use your factory safety equipment AND ONLY YOUR FACTORY SAFETY EQUIPMENT on the street.

tory safety equipment AND ONLY YOUR FACTORY SAFETY EQUIPMENT on the street.

That's probably one of those 69.00 ones you can buy on E-bay.

So how does this bolt in? Do you have to drill or anything or factory holes?

Uses all factory mounting points. No drilling necessary. Jer

• 11 months later...

I highly recommend this part to all. It is a great part that Jer and the team came out with. I get more compliments on that bar than anything else I've done to the car. I guess the old guys don't appreciate a true LOUD racecar exhaust... :whistling:

Archived