TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Installing Aftermarket Seats without Side Airbags

I am trying to figure out how to disable the airbag light that turned on after installing some Corbeau CR1 seats. I removed the wiring harness from both seats including the passenger airbag bladder and the . I bought some terminator plugs from ford to simulate the side airbags, but it didn't seem to work.

This is the part number

XF2Z-14B022-AA.

The ford dealer said the resistance in the terminator plug was not correct. Has anyone had any luck installing aftermarket seats?

I was going to the ford dealer tomorrow to pick up two of those resistors (or at least order them). They looked like the easiest and cheapest way to fix the problem. I motorsportseats.com link to the resistors is broken, but I found something with the same picture here: http://www.k1racegear.com/airbag-resistor-kit.html

Ford seems cheaper for once... :headscratch:

I was going to the ford dealer tomorrow to pick up two of those resistors (or at least order them). They looked like the easiest and cheapest way to fix the problem. I motorsportseats.com link to the resistors is broken, but I found something with the same picture here: http://www.k1racegea...sistor-kit.html

Ford seems cheaper for once... :headscratch:

The resistors I got from ford did not work, from what I read online you have to change the resistance of the plug, but I'm not sure what the resistance needs to be. I think the plugs were designed for seats without airbags, but our RCM was designed to be used with the airbag so requires a different resistance to satisfy the computer.

The link for motorsports seats is broken, but if you click on cobra on the left side of the screen then air bag resistor kit it will show up.

I was thinking of ordering a set but it comes to $140, the ford ones are about 25 bucks for the set, but I believe you will have to splice a different resistor into it to make it work. The problem is I don't know what resistance is required.

• 3 months later...

Update: I finally was able to get the airbag lights to go out today. In order to do this you have to cut the back of the terminator plug and remove the resistor from the back. Then you solder a 2 ohm resistor in place of the original. I measured the resistance of the two ford had in the terminators and one was 8 ohms and the other was 10 ohms. They should have been the same resistance so some messed up at Ford. So simply replacing the resistor with a 2 ohm resistor should fix the problem.

• 2 years later...

My apologies for resurrecting an old thread but I've got a question. I've pulled my seats and simply cut the yellow plug and tied a 2 ohm resistor between the wires. Everything I've read has said it's as simple as adding a 2 ohm resistor. This is not working for me. At test, I'm getting an airbag code 51 (airbag light flashes five times, pauses and flashes once). Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Jason

Archived