TEAM SHELBY FORUM

800 Lancers?

glhs0075

According to most common sources and available literature, there were 800 Lancers made (not counting the Proto cars). I know that there is a Lancer #001 and a Lancer #800.

However, some internet sources I've seen (sorry, I can't remember exactly where right now), claim that the actual number was closer to 780. The idea being that some numbers in between were skipped over, as dealerships were having difficulty selling all of the cars.

I wondered if anybody could confirm this or not? I'm assuming that somebody with a master VIN list (or possibly some other source) would be able to easily tell if this was true or not.

Thanks,

The Shelby VIN list for the 1987 Shelby Lancers does show 800 VIN's and their plaque #'s. But in the area where the destination dealer and city are shown, the notation "unassigned" is shown for roughly 100 or so cars. This means that at the date the list was printed, these cars had not been sold to any dealer.

This representation is not unusual on the lists. On the lists for other vehicles, many were left blank at the time they were printed. All of these cars were either subsequently sold and shipped to a dealer, sold to Thrifty Car Rental, or sold back to Chrysler who then made them available to other dealers that may not have been an authorized Shelby dealer.

Archived