TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Aftermarket Seats on Driver's Power Base

First off, this is my first detailed install thread so if there's anything I've left out please let me know. I want this to be as helpful as possible. Also, the finished product will not look as refined (you might see more of the power mechanics under the seat) as what the stock does, but it will allow you to have a power aftermarket seat.

Disconnect the battery, this is important. You don't want to take a chance of the air bags going off.

Remove the stock seat from the vehicle. The plastic covers at the back of the rails come by by sliding them straight back. Remember to disconnect the two plug underneath the seat as well. Yellow is for the airbags and grey is for power functions.

Once the seat is out remove the remaining plugs that are connected under the seat (lumbar, seat movement switch, and one under the front of the seat - I believe it's for the side airbags). There are four bolts that connect the rails to the seat. They are pointed out below, the bottom two take some time to get out.

2013-03-04141903copy.jpg

The four pictures below show close-ups of the mounting points where the bolts need to be removed.

2013-03-04141933.jpg

2013-03-04141940.jpg

These last two take two hands to get out because the foam needs to be pushed back.

2013-03-04142002copy.jpg

2013-03-04141954copy.jpg

With the base off the seat you can fab up your way of connecting the new aftermarket seats to the base. I've got my girlfriend's dad cutting me two pieces of metal - 3x17. I was debating between 1/4" and 1/8" thickness, he thought that 1/8" should be strong enough. I should have them in a couple days.

2013-03-05165310.jpg

Once the pieces come in and I've got the holes drilled I'll post the finishing steps.

At this point the only thing I haven't figured out is how to get the power function switch off of the side of the stock seat. It doesn't seem like the top will pop off, but I have to check again. If I have to I'll get another switch to plug in. The side plastic piece with the switches will no longer be attached so the switch will need to be attached or tucked under the seat. Depending on what it looks like when I finish will determine which route I go.

You might try looking at the six way power switch off a 2003 - 2004 Cobra. That switch mechanism attaches to the front of the seat as a separate control unit unlike the current models on the side built into the plastic surround. Just a thought!

You might try looking at the six way power switch off a 2003 - 2004 Cobra. That switch mechanism attaches to the front of the seat as a separate control unit unlike the current models on the side built into the plastic surround. Just a thought!

Thanks for the tip! I'll look into that.

• 4 weeks later...

I just got my metal in today, there was a major backorder with the supplier. I hope to get it finished up tonight so that I can take the car to college with me tomorrow night.

I was able to get the seats installed today. Everything was a good fit, better than I expected to be. It got dark before I was able to get photos on the seats in the car. I'll try to get some tomorrow.

The left side is easier to get measurements for, the right side bolts are not in line with each other. The two blue hash marks and dots are for the holes to attach the aftermarket seat. Make sure when setting the holes for the aftermarket seat you have enough clearance from the stock seat bolts. From my earlier post with with the base in the car you can see that there is a platform, for lack of a better word, that can get in the way of the aftermarket seat bolts.

2013-03-31135146.jpg

I found out that I needed to drill out two extra holes to let the two notches come through to make the metal pieces sit flat on the stock bolt fittings.

2013-03-31141410.jpg

From here it is a simple bolt up with the aftermarket seat. If your measurements aren't perfect and the holes and off slightly you can just re-drill, it's going to be in a place that no one will see. For my Corbeaus, I needed to add two washers to make for more clearance between the bottom of the seat and the top of the stock seat bolt. Without them the stock seat bolts were too high to be able to bolt down the seat.

I decided that I wanted to hide the power 6-way switch so I'm going to pick another one up, hopefully, tomorrow and attach it next to the seat belt latch out of sight.

**For those that are taller, this is going to raise up the seat from the stock level. I am 5' 7" and my head is now roughly 6" or so from the headliner. It's not any big deal for me, but for those that are taller it might become annoying. The added height is also brings your knees closer to the steering wheel and bottom of the dash.**

• 3 months later...

I finished it up a few months ago. I could've sworn I posted pics of the finished product. Maybe there in my other thread that talked about the interior mods as a whole. I'm on a phone now, but I'll try to get a link tomorrow. If there's no pics there either ill get em posted up after the holiday weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Not being able to retain the power seat was what was keeping me from purchasing aftermarket seats - now I don't have any excuses!

I like the Corbeau seats - what model did you go with?

Of course, if I get the front seats, then I'll have to get the rear seat delete, roll bar, race harness, and....oh brother, this mod stuff is getting out of hand!

Sam

Sam,

I went with the TRS model. I've got photos of them in another SGT mods thread (can't remember the name I have it off the top of my head now). Since the install I've been to the track once and am sorry I didn't put them in sooner. There's enough support for hard cornering, but yet still all the comfort I need to make a round trip from Ann Arbor, MI to Lexington, KY.

With the ability to attach them to the power base there's no reason to not get them. If you're on the tall side - I'm 5'8" and am fine with a helmet on - you might have some clearance issues. That was nothing I couldn't fix by adjusting the seat back angle a little. They are worth every penny though!

Archived