TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Is a Shelby GT a Pre-Title or Post-Title car?

mikeljgt500kr

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

However I guess it's not a bad thing every once in a great while to go through it all again.....and again......... :hysterical: It seems each time we learn something a little different and also as new members come in every couple years, they get a history lesson of the new Shelby's from 2006 on. It's interesting how many new Shelby owners do not know the history of these cars, where many of us have lived it. :salute:

Not to beat a dead horse, but this info was provided to my dealer from Ford back when I ordered the car. If you read through the ordering and shipping instructions it defineitly indicates pre-title. Dave

Ford Motor Company Electronic Field Communications Information EFC Number: EFC0601190 Date: 12/04/2006 Subject: 2007 Shelby GT Mustang - Information Summary: The following communication provides information on the 2007 Shelby GT Mustang ordering and delivery process.

Target Division(s) and Addressees: SalesOps: Zone Mgrs,Select Zone Mgrs,Schedulers,Regional Sales Mgrs,Regional Marketing Mgrs,Operations Mgrs,Mktg Mgrs/Spcl/Analysts FD,General Mgrs. & Admins,Finance Mgrs,Field Operations,District Mgrs

Originator Name: John Alguire Phone: 313-845-1013 E-Mail: jalguire@ford.com Division: SalesOps Department: Car Marketing

Dealer Communication: Yes Dealer eStore Materials: Related Communication(s): Additional Contacts: Concurring Manager: Bob Wolfbauer; Mkt. Area Mgr. - Digital & Direct, SalesOps

Communication:

Due to dealer inquiries, the following communication will be posted to FMCDealer.com Tuesday December 5, 2006.

This Field Communication also contains the following Dealer Communication: Dealer Summary: The following communication provides information on the 2007 Shelby GT Mustang ordering and delivery process. To: All Ford Dealers Addressees: Dealer Principal

Sales Manager

Communication:

Background:

The following information outlines the 2007 Shelby GT Mustang program, which begins production as a limited edition this month. It includes details of the: product, allocation and production timing, ordering and billing process, delivery, and warranty policy.

2007 Shelby GT Mustang

Question: What is a Shelby GT Mustang?

Answer- Product Description

The 2007 Shelby GT is collaboration between the Ford Mustang program team, Ford Racing, and Shelby Automobiles Inc. (SAI). The vehicle will be produced at the Mustang factory (Auto Alliance Inc - AAI) as a Mustang GT and be modified into a Shelby GT at Shelby Automobiles in Las Vegas, using Ford Racing and Shelby components. This vehicle will be:

• A special edition produced at limited volume

• Available in both manual and automatic transmission

• Limited to two exterior colors: Performance White and Black (Both colors include silver stripes)

For more detailed information regarding specs and key content, please reference attached Shelby GT Information Packet.

Question: When will the Shelby GT begin production?

Answer - Production Timing

Production at AAI is scheduled to begin at Mustang Program Job#2, December 4, 2006, and conclude at 2007 Job Last. Production at SAI is scheduled to begin January 2007.

Question: How will the Shelby GT Mustang be allocated?

Answer - Allocation and Distribution

Allocation Method:

• One (1) unit allocated per interested Ford Division Car Dealership

• Remainder of production to be allocated based on Share of Nation – 2005/06 Mustang retail sales

• Please note - individual dealer order questions should be directed to your Ford Division zone mgr

Question: Are there any commodity constraints?

Answer – Manual and Automatic Transmissions

• Due to commodity constraint on manual transmissions, dealers that earn more than one allocated unit will be required to build the second of every two units as an automatic.
    • Manual- 50% (1st unit manual, 2nd auto, 3rd manual, 4th auto, etc)

• Automatic- Free Demand

Question: How do I order a Shelby GT Mustang?

Answer -

• The Regional Office will notify individual dealers when allocation is available for their store.

• Orders to be placed in CONCEPS:
    • Mustang GT (T82)

• Shelby GT Upfitter's Package (54U is exclusive to Shelby GT)

• The dealer must add the following Shelby Drop Ship Code 88WKH7

Please reference attached Information Packet for specific ordering details and excluded options.

Question: How will I be billed for the Shelby GT MUSTANG?

Answer

Ford Motor Company:

(First billing) On the invoice for the package:

• The dealer will be billed for the Mustang GT and 54U option code order amount through their normal floorplan source (the same as any other Mustang that comes from Ford).

• 54U option (Shelby GT Upfitter's Package) will show on the window sticker and be priced at:
    • Automatic transmission $2,040 MSRP (Note: $1,713 WSD)

• Manual transmission $2,140 MSRP (Note: $1,797 WSD)

Shelby Automobiles Incorporated:

(Second Billing) For the SAI conversion - Charged to Parts Statement

• Upon "Gate Released" from AAI the Dealership "Parts Statement" will receive a single charge for conversion at Shelby in Las Vegas

• Final Pricing will be released December, initial charges will begin in January 2007

• Charge will appear under the "Miscellaneous" section of the Parts Statement as a separate line item, and will include the vehicle I.D./ Contact Number/ Total Billing

Question: How will the vehicle be identified as a Shelby GT Mustang?

Answer -

• Monroni Label will show the Mustang GT with Shelby GT Upfitters Package

• SAI modifications will be shown on a Addendum Window Sticker

Question: How will the vehicle be shipped?

Answer:

• Vehicles will be drop-shipped from the Mustang factory (AAI) to Shelby Automobiles (SAI) Las Vegas for Shelby GT modifications

• SAI will ship completed vehicle to dealer via car carrier, contracted by Ford Motor Company transportation services

• The delivery time will vary based on logistical factors, estimated 6-8 weeks from AAI gate release through delivery to the dealer

• Dealer will be responsible for inspecting the vehicle for any transportation and carrier damage

Question: What to I have to do differently from a vehicle and customer delivery standpoint?

Answer - Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI)

• Dealer performs standard PDI, submitting claims through the normal process

• SAI will perform inspection of Shelby GT modifications prior to shipment

• Issues with Shelby GT modifications identified by dealer at delivery can be directed to Ford Racing Warranty call center at 800-367-3788 for instructions

Answer - Customer Delivery

• Dealer performs standard delivery process including Delivery Checklist

• At the time of delivery, dealer must review the following with the customer:
    • Shelby GT Owner's Guide Supplement

• Amendment to the New Vehicle Limited Warranty Form

[*]Both documents will be located in the glove compartment

[*]Customer and dealership employee must both sign warranty amendment form

Signed warranty amendment form must be kept in the sales jacket consistent with Ford vehicle sales document retention requirements.

Question: Does this vehicle carry the normal warranty for a Ford Vehicle?

Answer – Ford Warranty

• Vehicle is being sold to customer with an amended new vehicle limited warranty (see attachment)

• Customer signature on the form identifies that they understand vehicle has been modified

• Base Mustang maintains its original Factory Warranty.

Answer – Shelby Warranty

• Shelby modified components include a 3/36 warranty

• Description of the modifications is included in the Shelby GT Owner's Guide Supplement. This supplement and the Amendment to the New Vehicle Limited Warranty Form are located in the vehicle glove compartment. Please contact Ford Racing Warranty call center at: 1-800-367-3788 with any questions regarding these documents.

Answer – Ford Racing Performance Parts

• Ford Racing Performance Parts include a 3/36 warranty

• Description of the parts is included in the Shelby GT Owner's Guide Supplement

Question: How does the dealership provide warranty repairs on this vehicle?

Answer – Normal warranty procedures

• Shelby GT vehicle identification numbers can be identified through OASIS.

• When customers arrive for service, the Advisor will be instructed via OASIS message to contact the Ford Racing Warranty call center (1-800-367-3788) for instructions and repair approval.

Question: Is the Shelby GT eligible for A/X/Z/D plan pricing?

Answer- No. Similar to Shelby GT500, this limited edition Mustang is not eligible.

General questions regarding this program can be directed to the Program Center at 1-800-367-3788.

Attachments

• Shelby GT Information Packet

• Amendment to the New Vehicle Limited Warranty

I have the document above in a PDF and I have a 3 slide PowerPoint presentation hero card from Ford that I'd be happy to email anyone that wants some of the history of the Shelby GT for their own records. The PowerPoint is pretty cool and displays well at car shows if you put it in a binder or plastic sleeve. Send me an email at dambrisco4009@gmail.com.

ShelbyGTInformationPacket-EFC_107.jpg

The 350 mods were made to the Mustang post the MSO date.

Shelby did the 350 mods at the request of Phil Long Ford and Phil Long Ford paid Shelby directly.

This is a post title mod car.

More simply put, when the owner of the Phil Long car got his paperwork it was a TITLE in the name of Phil Long Ford. It was not a MSO to the county to get a new title in the first owner's name. When the conversion was done it was done on a Phil Long title. It was technically registered and titled. The first civilian owner of the car was technically the second owner. A carfax or equivalent should show this.

In the case of the Phil Long Ford GT350, this did not have to be registered or titled to Phil Long Ford to have the conversion done. Think of the Ford dealer as a custodian caring for the car before it is sold to it's official first owner. They have the ability to modify the car or not at their discression, and it doesn't have to be titled or registered for them to be allowed to do this. A dealer is really an independently owned representative of the manufacturer, that is why ANY car someone buys from a dealer is not a pre-owned car. The dealer must follow the rules of the manufacturer to be allowed to sell thier cars, but there is nothing that prohibits them from modifying any car they have to try to sell it easier, quicker or for more profit. That's where the dealer add-on pricing comes in, but i REALLY don't want to get started on that crap.

bnoslo is correct.

The 350 example was not titled; it was modified at the request of Phil Long Ford after the Ford factory completed the car and before it was offered for retail sale by the franchise Ford dealer.

Those mods were not authorized nor recognized by FoMoCo.

A dealer can add 'extras' to a car as long as it doesn't alter the safety equipment (airbag, seat belts, safety glass).

Those mods can become a warranty nighmare as the customer doesn't understand (or it wasn't explained clearly at the time of the sale) they were not FoMoCo installed.

In the case of the Phil Long Ford GT350, this did not have to be registered or titled to Phil Long Ford to have the conversion done.

That is my understanding too. They sent the car to Shelby American in Las Vegas and said, "convert it to a GT350", paid the money and had a untitled GT350 to sell.

I don't know when the MSO process begins. I know I got my MSO in the mail from Ford Motor Company after I bought it from Phil Long Ford. I wish I would have made a copy of it because I didn't know CO DMV keeps it on initial title/reg.

Phill

Many of the items posted here I posted long ago in the thread:

Shelby GT Info For Owners in the Tech section.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/42709-shelby-gt-info-for-owners/

I thought it would be good to place all this stuff in one place for new owners to grab as the years past and pinned at the top of the page.

-Jeff

Got something interesting today - The Ford 2008 Source Book - retail education and training. It is over 5 pounds of usefull info. What I found very interesting is that they cover all Mustangs (including the GT500) , but do not mention or cover the SHELBY GT (pre-title car).

Archived