TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Is a Shelby GT a Pre-Title or Post-Title car?

mikeljgt500kr

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had a discussion at a recent MCA meet about this. A member said the Shelby GT is a pre-title Shelby, whereas the GT500 Super Snake and GT350 are post-title cars. I thought they all were the same post-titled Shelbys.

I *think* the SGT is a post-title car.

I only *think* that (which means I don't KNOW that) because I recall that the '08 & '09 GT500KR were the only pre-title Shelby since the classic GT350's and GT500's.

I KNOW the GT500 Super Snake and the GT350 are POST-title cars (you don't buy them from Ford, you buy a Ford and have Shelby 'convert' it).

The GT500 is a RPO car.

Phill

If you do some searching, this has been beat over and over and over, but yes, the SGT is a Pre-Title Shelby.

Along those same lines, you would think the GT-H would be pre-title also, but indeed, the GT-H is a post title car. Hertz owned the Mustang GTs before the Shelby conversion.

The Shelby GT is Pre-Title simply for this reason; as in the case with mine, no one owned it (possessed Title) until me. The same is true w/ the late-model KR's, and the "classic" Shelby Mustangs.

Had a discussion at a recent MCA meet about this. A member said the Shelby GT is a pre-title Shelby, whereas the GT500 Super Snake and GT350 are post-title cars. I thought they all were the same post-titled Shelbys.

The easiest way to tell FOR SURE would be to look it up on Kelly Blue Book dot come (kbb.com) or NADA.com.

If it is a pre-title car, it will be listed. If it is not, it won't be.

Try finding a Super Snake in KBB or NADA. Ain't gonna happen.

EDIT: NADA shows a Shelby GT. It's pre-title...

Phill

On the title they show Mustang GT. These cars are still a mystery to most folks.Try explaining this at car shows.

I've given up. Some people will understand and some will just think I'm trying to pass off something that doesn't exist. Ah well, you win some you loose some.

On the title they show Mustang GT. These cars are still a mystery to most folks.Try explaining this at car shows.

That just makes it more special and is now part of the Shelby GT history. I just explain how the cars were sent directly from the Mustang plant to the Shelby factory in Vegas for final assembly...just like the classics. People understand.

That just makes it more special and is now part of the Shelby GT history. I just explain how the cars were sent directly from the Mustang plant to the Shelby factory in Vegas for final assembly...just like the classics. People understand.

OK, that was the distinction I was asking about. So they were only partially completed Mustang GTs, and were completed at SAI in 'Vegas (like they used to be at LAX and AO Smith in the old days) with Shelby parts. That would be different than the GT500 Super Snake and GT350, which are completed, Ford titled Mustangs that are disassembled and modded by SAI.

That doesn't always do it. :hammer_self: My 2011 GT350 was shipped directly to Shelby from the Ford plant. Yet it is a post title car.

Mike, I think we had simultaneous posts. Yes it was a completed Mustang, but there were special order requirements.

That doesn't always do it. :hammer_self: My 2011 GT350 was shipped directly to Shelby from the Ford plant. Yet it is a post title car.

What was the Agreement, and who arranged and paid for that shipment? That's also part of the equation.

OK, that was the distinction I was asking about. So they were only partially completed Mustang GTs, and were completed at SAI in 'Vegas (like they used to be at LAX and AO Smith in the old days) with Shelby parts. That would be different than the GT500 Super Snake and GT350, which are completed, Ford titled Mustangs that are disassembled and modded by SAI.

Almost there... Like the original GT-350 it was a special order code on the Monroney label and door VIN label, but unlike the original it wasn't partially complete, it was complete. SAI had to disassemble parts to put on the remaining SGT parts.

-Tom

If you do some searching, this has been beat over and over and over, but yes, the SGT is a Pre-Title Shelby.

Along those same lines, you would think the GT-H would be pre-title also, but indeed, the GT-H is a post title car. Hertz owned the Mustang GTs before the Shelby conversion.

According to Ford, the GT-H is more of a "gray" title car. It's not actually post or pre-title. I was told that this has to do with the way in which the GT-H models were processed through AAI and paid for. I'll try to get a better answer regarding this one.

The 07 and 08 Mustang GT's were dropped shipped directly from Flat Rock, MI to Shelby Vegas for a pre-approved set of modifications.

Those modifications were Ford factory authorized/tested and the completed car was sold through the Ford dealership network.

Ford Motor held the invoice open and added 'Miscellaneous Invoice 14315 Mustang Modifications for 2007 Shelby GT' once it left Shelby Vegas.

This added $8,390 to the cost of the car which was paid to Ford by the Ford dealer upon delivery.

In late 09 or early 10, federal laws regarding pre-title car modifications were changed. Pre-title car modifiers are now require to crash test cars (too costly).

When a Mustang is ordered today and dropped shipped to Shelby, the car is considered fully assembled/invoiced once it leaves the Ford factory.

According to Ford, the GT-H is more of a "gray" title car. It's not actually post or pre-title. I was told that this has to do with the way in which the GT-H models were processed through AAI and paid for. I'll try to get a better answer regarding this one.

That would be interesting to hear anything more you find out. It has been explained as really kind of both in the past. Where Hertz did take possesion of the cars in Las Vegas and paid Shelby for the upgrade to GT-H. Supposedly, this was just the quickest way to get the cars to Vegas and converted. Either way, at least the GT-H is probably one of the most documented and media blasted Shelby's of all time in 2006 and 2007. Thanks Robert!

What was the Agreement, and who arranged and paid for that shipment? That's also part of the equation.

I'm not sure about that one. We just ordered from the dealer and he entered a drop ship code. There was no discussion about shipment costs.

I registered it and paid California sales tax while the car was being modified at Shelby.

So the car was ordered from a dealer in Florida who never saw it.

Shipped by Ford to Shelby who modified it but never owned it.

The car was driven to California and smogged before I ever saw it.

And a year later I picked the car up at Shelby and drove it home in a wind and hail storm.

You know, simple stuff... :drop:

The 07 and 08 Mustang GT's were dropped shipped directly from Flat Rock, MI to Shelby Vegas for a pre-approved set of modifications.

Those modifications were Ford factory authorized/tested and the completed car was sold through the Ford dealership network.

Ford Motor held the invoice open and added 'Miscellaneous Invoice 14315 Mustang Modifications for 2007 Shelby GT' once it left Shelby Vegas.

This added $8,390 to the cost of the car which was paid to Ford by the Ford dealer upon delivery.

In late 09 or early 10, federal laws regarding pre-title car modifications were changed. Pre-title car modifiers are now require to crash test cars (too costly).

When a Mustang is ordered today and dropped shipped to Shelby, the car is considered fully assembled/invoiced once it leaves the Ford factory.

OK, so this seems to be the real difference between say my 2013 GT350, and the older Shelby GTs. I went to my Ford dealer after talking to SAI and placing the order with them, and ordered the Mustang GT from the Ford dealer, it was built to the SAI specs option codes, and drop shipped to 'Vegas from Flat Rock. But I am still struggling to see how the Shelby GT is a pre-title car with just an open invoice as the difference.

The Shelby GT was marketed by Ford as a Shelby GT. They were sold as Shelbys. The Ford ads didn't say "buy a Mustang GT and convert it to a Shelby GT." You could not order a Mustang GT and then decide to have it converted to an SGT by Shelby. The GT 350 is purchased first as a Mustang, then it is converted to a Shelby GT 350 therefore it is post title. It doesn't matter if it was shipped to Shelby direct from Ford - it is still post title. Some Shelby GT/SC's were converted before the owner took possession, but there is no such car as a pre-titled Shelby GT/SC.

Ford has not marketed or sold a GT 350 since 1984 I believe. Ford did market and sell Shelby GT's during 2007 and 2008.

The GT 500KR in '08 and '09 were pre-titled also.

Thank you Robert ... just let us know what you find out.

I'm not sure about that one. We just ordered from the dealer and he entered a drop ship code. There was no discussion about shipment costs.

I registered it and paid California sales tax while the car was being modified at Shelby.

So the car was ordered from a dealer in Florida who never saw it.

Shipped by Ford to Shelby who modified it but never owned it.

The car was driven to California and smogged before I ever saw it.

And a year later I picked the car up at Shelby and drove it home in a wind and hail storm.

You know, simple stuff... :drop:

and from the pic it looks now to be a "trailer queen" :hysterical:

The Shelby GT was modified by Shelby before delivery to the dealer for sale to the consumer. Some cars (like mine) were completed by Shelby and then had "museum delivery" or "home delivery". Those cars were not moved from Vegas to the dealer. Instead of shipping them to the dealer on a truck they were delivered to my house (one truck trip instead of two). But Shelby would not ship the cars to me until the dealer released them as "titled".

All Shelby GT/SC conversions were post title. They may not have gone to the dealer (I personally know of two that were held at SAI pending conversion) but they were owned by the buyer and merely not sent to home or dealer lot.

The easiest way i've found to explain it to my friends, and people who ask this question. is to put it this way. On a pre-title car, such as the SGT, the factory will cover all parts, either original from the factory or added during the modification process, under the original factory warranty the same way as if the factory had produced the car themselves. To FoMoCo there is no difference between the two. On a post-title car, like a GT350 or supersnake, there can be some parts that are added on that would void the factory warranty, but may be covered instead by the manufacturer of the part that was added on. As an example, a Kenne Bell supercharger won't be covered by any Ford warranty, but will be covered by Kenne Bell instead. Most people i've explained it to that way seem to understand better, or i just confused them even worse and they don't want to say anything!

.....On a pre-title car, such as the SGT, the factory will cover all parts, either original from the factory or added during the modification process, under the original factory warranty the same way as if the factory had produced the car themselves. To FoMoCo there is no difference between the two......

If only the dealers understood this. I had a dealer try to refuse warranty working claiming I modified my 'Mustang's' suspension.

Archived