TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Advice on mods quote

bigb1975

Looking to spice up my '09 GT500. I went to a local Ford dealership (with a good reputation modding GT500s) to have them help put together a package. Below is the email I got back. Prices are higher than I thought, but I've only really researched the wheels. They quote $385 a piece but based on my own research the fronts are about $300 and the rears $330. Makes me wonder about the rest. Especially the lowering springs. If I look them up I see $284. How do they get to $775+? Am I missing something or should I run away from these guys? When I asked about the wheels originally, he said I might need a new pan hard bar to get wider tires (I asked if we could do 305s in the back). He seems to be backing off that now. Here is the email I got:

"Shelby CS40 Wheel 20x9 and 20x10 $1536.00

Nitto 555 tires $1175.00

Lowering using Ford Racing springs $775.00 with new 4 wheel alignment.

Side scoops $425.00 painted and installed

Window louvers $425.00 painted and installed

Level 3 Detail $560.00

This is our top of the line detail. When your car gets here if we do not need to go this far we can re-evaluate.

Total $4896.00

This will certainly be a complete change to your vehicle and with the detail it would be like giving you a brand new car when we are done with it. I would need to get a deposit of 50% to start ordering everything. Once it is all here I would need your car for about two days to complete all the work. I have attached a CC authorization form if you would like to make a deposit thus saving a trip down here. Regarding the pan hard bar we can get you one but depending on how you drive the vehicle it might not be something you need."

I would never allow a dealership to detail any of my cars. Take it to a detail shop. Thats what they are probably doing and they are marking his price. You can call some speed shop in your area and find out how much to install susspension parts. Dealers tend to be a lot higher in prices. So much for conpetitive pricing. LOL

bigb 1975,

I appears as if the price quoted is the installed price, which includes labor. Kinda hard to compare retail price of a part to the insatlled price. Might want to have the dealer breakdown his quote with part price and labor cost to install.

FIA Mike

If you think the quote is a little high buy the parts yourself and just have the ford dealer give you a quote for the labor. I would never let a dealer detail my car, they like to cut corners on areas they don't think you'll look at (inside of the wheels, wheel wells, hard to reach parts inside the engine compartment).

If you think the quote is a little high buy the parts yourself and just have the ford dealer give you a quote for the labor.

Would you buy a steak then take it into a restaurant and have them cook it...and expect a reduced price because you provided the steak?

Same thing. Many dealerships won't install customer provided parts. There's also a issue of warranty. How do *I* warranty *your* part?

Phill

Would you buy a steak then take it into a restaurant and have them cook it...and expect a reduced price because you provided the steak?

Same thing. Many dealerships won't install customer provided parts. There's also a issue of warranty. How do *I* warranty *your* part?

Phill

Fair enough. It was just a suggestion. I have an understanding with my dealer that I will supply all of my parts so that I am assured I can look at it before it is installed and that if something goes wrong with the part I am liable, but if it is an issue with the installation of the part the dealer is liable. Been like that since the first time I met my service advisor and the service manager.

Fair enough. It was just a suggestion. I have an understanding with my dealer that I will supply all of my parts so that I am assured I can look at it before it is installed and that if something goes wrong with the part I am liable, but if it is an issue with the installation of the part the dealer is liable. Been like that since the first time I met my service advisor and the service manager.

That is what we used to tell our customers that wanted to supply parts, so they could save money (we make money on parts, you're taking money from us).

We *would* install customer parts but at a increased labor rate and without ANY warranty (tail light warranty...when we see your tail lights, your warranty is expired).

Most people understood. Some would get pissed and go elsewhere. I was fine with that. I didn't want them coming back with a burned up starter expecting me to warranty my work, when it was THEIR starter that burned up.

Phill

Looking to spice up my '09 GT500. I went to a local Ford dealership (with a good reputation modding GT500s) to have them help put together a package. Below is the email I got back. Prices are higher than I thought, but I've only really researched the wheels. They quote $385 a piece but based on my own research the fronts are about $300 and the rears $330. Makes me wonder about the rest. Especially the lowering springs. If I look them up I see $284. How do they get to $775+? Am I missing something or should I run away from these guys? When I asked about the wheels originally, he said I might need a new pan hard bar to get wider tires (I asked if we could do 305s in the back). He seems to be backing off that now. Here is the email I got:

"Shelby CS40 Wheel 20x9 and 20x10 $1536.00

Nitto 555 tires $1175.00

Lowering using Ford Racing springs $775.00 with new 4 wheel alignment.

Side scoops $425.00 painted and installed

Window louvers $425.00 painted and installed

Level 3 Detail $560.00

This is our top of the line detail. When your car gets here if we do not need to go this far we can re-evaluate.

Total $4896.00

This will certainly be a complete change to your vehicle and with the detail it would be like giving you a brand new car when we are done with it. I would need to get a deposit of 50% to start ordering everything. Once it is all here I would need your car for about two days to complete all the work. I have attached a CC authorization form if you would like to make a deposit thus saving a trip down here. Regarding the pan hard bar we can get you one but depending on how you drive the vehicle it might not be something you need."

I have the cs 40 wheels. You can buy them from Cruzin Concepts probably cheaper than anywhere else. I bought my nitto's from Discount Tire and had them install my new tires and wheels on the car.I installed 255x35's on front and 285x30's on back. You can save a lot of money doing a little of the leg work yourself. Why pay the middle man when you don't have to.Agree you shouldn't let the dealer do the detail work. Go to a detailer and maybe you can learn a few tricks of the trade and then do it yourself the next time. Good Luck.

A couple of questions

1 lowered front end without bump steer??

2 new 4 wheel alignment ?? no adjustable pan hard bar, no CC plates

The Shelby gt500s even with the SVT package do not have the best suspension to begin with; now lowering the car without correcting the suspension geometry is just not going to leave you happy. Its just physics; for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Just my 2 cents, but find a mod shop that does lots of suspension upgrades and ask lots of questions.

My wife commented on the weekend when we were out for a drive in the 13 "I hate to say it but this car needs some work". I figure I am looking at around 10K to get the 13 handling like the 07 and another 3-5k to make it handle better.

That is what we used to tell our customers that wanted to supply parts, so they could save money (we make money on parts, you're taking money from us).

We *would* install customer parts but at a increased labor rate and without ANY warranty (tail light warranty...when we see your tail lights, your warranty is expired).

Most people understood. Some would get pissed and go elsewhere. I was fine with that. I didn't want them coming back with a burned up starter expecting me to warranty my work, when it was THEIR starter that burned up.

Phill

None at all? Not even on the labor? I can understand the part, I wouldn't expect them to give a warranty on a part they didn't supply. But you wouldn't give a 30 day (or whatever the time period may be) warranty on the labor? Say I brought in an aftermarket radiator and wanted it installed, if the car overheated because there was an air bubble in the line I would have to pay to have the radiator reflushed? Even if it was clearly not the fault of the part I supplied?

I'm not trying to argue with you, just trying to understand what I was told. It doesn't sound like I was getting the guarantee I thought I was...

Archived