TEAM SHELBY FORUM

* * * * DON'T FORGET * * * * Final Alcoa Sale Starts Monday Morning

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was a "lottery." The website didn't "crash," it could only process so many orders at a time. All of us had frozen computers, but the website was still processing everything. They only had a certain amount of wheels to sell and more of us wanted them than they had in inventory. It is not SPP's fault that we couldn't all get the wheels. This is not the norm for SPP, so don't blame them or refuse to do future business just because of this sale.

Thank you.

Jer

I am in 100% agreement with giving all the credit in the world to Jer and the folks at SPP. They went well above and beyond for our community.

Thank you.

Jer

It will look exactly the same. The 9's just limit the width of tire you can run on the rear. You can't run a 295 or 305 width on a 9. Normal max on a 9 is usually a 275, but some do go up to a 285. You just loose some of the effective grip and safety going over a 275. 255's on the front 275's on the rear on 9's is a normal stagger that looks great.

I have four 20X9 wheels on my car... 255 front / 275 rear. Perfect on the road and track.

Jer

While I can certainly understand the disappointment from some who were not able to obtain a set of wheels lets not forget that as of six months ago there was a zero chance of anyone obtaining a set of these wheels.

We also have to keep in mind that SPP had a pre-order program open for weeks, with no order limits. And all of those orders were filled.

I would also like to point out that Jer/SPP could have taken the easy way out and just sent these remaining wheels to the second tier vendors, but no he/they wanted to give everyone a fair shot at buying these remaining wheels at the original prices. On top of that, the SPP team came in early on a Monday morning to facilitate the sale of these wheels.

Again I do understand some folks disappointment and as previously mentioned it would be great if these wheels could have been brought back 24/7 but they couldn't and we have to accept that. Jer and the SPP team did their best to accomedate as many as they could. For that they should be thanked.

Steve

Totally agree. I'm so confused by some of the angry folks. This sale was a total bonus! Where were you during the lengthy pre-order time period? It was always crystal clear to me that there was a pre-order period and that maybe there would be some left after that. There was no limit on how many people could pre-order at the same price. Jer went above and beyond in making this run happen. It was obvious there would be a far greater number folks trying to get in this morning than there would be wheels available. Craziness!!! Oh well, can't always make everybody happy I guess. But there were sure a whole lot of folks who were made happy with this run!

All wheel sizes are now sold out. Thanks to all for your support.

Jer

That was posted at 7:36 a.m. PST. So, 1-1/2 hour.

I was watching. WOW....

Phill (glad I WASN'T needing a set!)

same here, got four nines........ can i just use the nines? on both front land rear how would that look??

Don't quote me but I believe my 18" KR Alcoa's are all 9" wheels.....

Or are they 9.5's?

Phill

We also have to keep in mind that SPP had a pre-order program open for weeks, with no order limits. And all of those orders were filled.

Yeah, that's what I wanted to say. You missed buying a set this time? What about the first time? Dinner was served weeks ago, this was just the left-overs.

Phill

225 front? really?

255 isnt it, no?

Ha! Yes, thank you, I fixed that.

Jer

Rob,

I don't disagree that Jer did a good job getting this rims to market. There was probably no way of avoiding the cluster that happened this morning. I do think you're splitting hairs on the "website down". It was inaccessible to many guests this morning who were either not able to view the page, could not make it to their cart, or not process payment once getting into their cart. Whether it was down, non-responsive or slow to the point where your cart emptied on you, it doesn't matter. It was not a uniform experience across for the guest.

Overall it was job accomplished in terms of wheels selling. Now let's see if everyone gets them and stock wasn't over commited. I do firmly believe though there were lessons to be had from this by Jer, guests and others to improve future experiences. For example, you could let the guest put 6 rims in their cart max and then give them 10 minutes to go through the checkout process with a timeout feature. This prevents carts from being emptied as you checkout and prevents people from holding 6+ rims.

It's not a negative thing to say, mission accomplished, but hey we learned a few things to make it even better the next time....even if the next time isn't Alcoa rims. Jer has already significantly improved the organization and delivery. He comes across as someone who shoots for continuous improvement and evolution. I don't doubt that he has his own list of things to improve upon for another high profile sale.

Duke

Don't quote me but I believe my 18" KR Alcoa's are all 9" wheels.....

Or are they 9.5's?

Phill

Those are 18X9.5

But all the Razor wheels Shelby installed on Terlinguas, some GT/SCs, 40th Anniversary cars, and CS6/CS8 are 20X9 on all four corners.

Jer

Totally agree. I'm so confused by some of the angry folks. This sale was a total bonus! Where were you during the lengthy pre-order time period? It was always crystal clear to me that there was a pre-order period and that maybe there would be some left after that. There was no limit on how many people could pre-order at the same price. Jer went above and beyond in making this run happen. It was obvious there would be a far greater number folks trying to get in this morning than there would be wheels available. Craziness!!! Oh well, can't always make everybody happy I guess. But there were sure a whole lot of folks who were made happy with this run!

^This is exactly why the people who put them on ebay will always make money. Even if Jer gave 1 year advance notice people would still miss out lol.

Anyways I'm curious now if Jer will tell us how many wheels total he had in the first place now that it is all over.

Rob,

I don't disagree that Jer did a good job getting this rims to market. There was probably no way of avoiding the cluster that happened this morning. I do think you're splitting hairs on the "website down". It was inaccessible to many guests this morning who were either not able to view the page, could not make it to their cart, or not process payment once getting into their cart. Whether it was down, non-responsive or slow to the point where your cart emptied on you, it doesn't matter. It was not a uniform experience across for the guest.

Overall it was job accomplished in terms of wheels selling. Now let's see if everyone gets them and stock wasn't over commited. I do firmly believe though there were lessons to be had from this by Jer, guests and others to improve future experiences. For example, you could let the guest put 6 rims in their cart max and then give them 10 minutes to go through the checkout process with a timeout feature. This prevents carts from being emptied as you checkout and prevents people from holding 6+ rims.

It's not a negative thing to say, mission accomplished, but hey we learned a few things to make it even better the next time....even if the next time isn't Alcoa rims.

Duke

For each bold point:

1. There was no way of avoiding it, given current e-commerce solutions we are aware of. Our server and software (we pay a pro company, it's not just a Mac laptop on my desk) is the same used by Coca-Cola and others. We are setup for unlimited bandwidth, we just get a whopping bill after the fact.

2. Many guests attempted shortcuts or tried to do things to "get a jump", like sitting on the old product page ready to click on "Add To Cart". That won't work when the part number changes at 6am - which, BTW, is the only way to outsmart a "bot script" anyone may write to tie up those products.

3. Stock was NOT overcommitted, I took great pains to ensure that, just as I did during the October pre-sale. EVERYONE got their wheels.

4. That type of functionality is what people are used to from, say, a concert ticket site, but each ticket is unique. In THIS case, a common item unserialized in the system can't be "held". Think about it, any joker (or their "bot") could simply fill their cart with hundreds of wheels and really gum up the works.

Also, we had several unrelated issues going on within our service at just the right time this morning, like a fraud "bot" attempting to authorize a few hundred credit card numbers all at once. Fun stuff.

By the way, The "next time" will never again be Alcoa rims. And I doubt we will EVER be in this situation again - it's an unusual vendor situation to have this far of a skew between supply and demand.

Jer

Rob,

It's not a negative thing to say, mission accomplished, but hey we learned a few things to make it even better the next time....even if the next time isn't Alcoa rims.

Duke

Duke,

I understand what you mean that things still could have worked better, because it was working very slow and was frustrating. However, even with your suggestion people still would have been shut out and disappointed. We ALL logged on at the same time. We ALL put the same rims in our carts. We ALL tried to check out. Unfortunately, this was a limited quantity run so some people could not get them. It wouldn't matter if you gave people 10 minutes to check out. There were still way more people wanting them than what they had in stock. People would have still been left out in the cold and then would have been complaining that the stock went too quickly and people shouldn't have been allowed to have 10 minutes to complete their order.

I have no problem with attempting to make things better for future "events." I am frustrated with members who are actually angry at SPP and are actually blaming them as if they did something malicious (and from your posts, I am NOT including you in this category). I appreciate the conversation.

Rob

Duke,

I understand what you mean that things still could have worked better, because it was working very slow and was frustrating. However, even with your suggestion people still would have been shut out and disappointed. We ALL logged on at the same time. We ALL put the same rims in our carts. We ALL tried to check out. Unfortunately, this was a limited quantity run so some people could not get them. It wouldn't matter if you gave people 10 minutes to check out. There were still way more people wanting them than what they had in stock. People would have still been left out in the cold and then would have been complaining that the stock went too quickly and people shouldn't have been allowed to have 10 minutes to complete their order.

I have no problem with attempting to make things better for future "events." I am frustrated with members who are actually angry at SPP and are actually blaming them as if they did something malicious (and from your posts, I am NOT including you in this category). I appreciate the conversation.

Rob

Well-spoken.

Jer

Jer,

I want to thank you for the opportunity to purchase these wheels for my son. I had no idea that the transaction was processed until I saw it pending on my credit card. Everyone had the same opportunity as I did, I was just one of the lucky ones. I would have been disappointed only if I had not at least tried to secure a set of these beautiful rims. Again, Thank you very much. Job well done!

GPS

Didn`t get a set one of the unlucky ones got two 9'" front but the 10" were sold out so I checked out emptied my cart so someone could have them . They were no good to me with out 2 10" , Maybe next time ifthere is ever a next time.

i did get four 9" wheels..... this morning , i didnt have the money to commit back in oct, i feel like i just boned the prom queen... are there special lug nuts that i need? these are going on my 2013 GT-350

Duke,

Rob

Agreed, it's the old adage that you cannot make everyone happy. I just challenge us as consumers and SA as a vendor to always look for areas to improve and apply lessons to other parts of the business. That way the company and "hobby" is there for us 50 years from now (even though I might not be) :)

On the upside it could have gone a lot worse. A lot of people could have checked out thinking they got wheels, only to learn there wasn't matching inventory. This happened to several Fortune 50 companies with far greater resources than SA last holiday season. Or two people could have gotten sets with vendors taking a bulk of the purchase. There were a lot of stumbling blocks that were avoided.

I believe that was 636 pst. That would be 36 minutes from start to finish.

Nevada is on Pacific Standard Time (until Daylight Savings Time). Arizona is on Mountain time and they don't recognize daylight savings so depending on what time of the year it is, your clock will either change at the NV/AZ border or the AZ/UT border (real fun to figure out if you make a lot of CA/CO trips like I do!).

I saw the "Posted at 7:36 a.m." tag on Jer's post and assumed their server in in NV, not AZ....

Phill

I believe that was 636 pst. That would be 36 minutes from start to finish.

That's when the guy was able to take a breather and post on the forums. I wouldn't be suprised if they lasted less than 15 minutes. The only thing that slowed the sale down was the site clocking. Otherwise it would have been instantly.

are there special lug nuts that i need? these are going on my 2013 GT-350

Your standard GT500 lug nuts work on the Alcoa wheels.

I'm using my 2010 GT500 "Acorn" lug nuts on my 18" GT500KR Alcoa wheels and plan to use them if/when I mount my 20" SS Style Alcoa wheels on the car.

The TPMS may or may not be different, I can't remember and I don't run TPMS sensors on my KR wheels/tires so I live with the "Low Tire Pressure" DIC warning each time I start the car, and the little yellow low tire icon on the dash.

The center caps are not interchangeable on the 20" Alcoa's but they are on the 18" KR Alcoa's. There are kits you can buy on e-bay to use a set of OEM SVT center caps if you desire.

Phill

Strange to see the 07-09 with the new wheels...

WHOA! I had not noticed that.

That would be a dead set deal breaker for me. Ain't NO WAY in the world I'd get a 12 or earlier Super Snake if they don't have the Alcoa wheels on them.

The brochure still shows the cars with Alcoa's on them....And says "20" Shelby/Alcoa Super Snake wheels" in it.

Phill

Archived