TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hood/bumper stripe Application Shop SF area

msbmustang

After my very minor fender/hood bender last year I had to have the hood and bumper vinyl racing stripes replaced on my 07 GT500 SVT#12.

The great shop I used to do the body and paint work (which was perfect) does not do vinly stripe applications (they paint on stripes) and they contracted the job out. However the application was not done properly so my shop said they will pay to have another company do the job again but they want me to research local shops to do the job. So I need to find a good shop/person that "can properly do" Vinyl Racing Stripe applications in the SF bay area.

Thanks Everyone,

MSB Mustang / Mark

We are now ordering the second set of replacement hood and front bumper stripes but I still do not have anyone to apply them?

Again does anyone know of a good shop or person in Northern California to remove and then replace the hood and bumper stripes on a 2007 GT500.

The one sugestion for Elite Auto Films did not pan out because they just do front clear hood and bumper protection films.

Thanks

MSB Mustang / Mark

I called YAK and Jason turned me over to their Mustang Expert, Tony. They are very close to the San Jose Arena (I am a long time Sharks fan) and we had a great talk. I will be taking the car over there on Monday for them to look at.

Looks like I finally have a great solution!

Thanks so much "MMcGuirk"

Best GT500 Regards,

MSB Mustang / Mark

• 2 weeks later...

YAK Graphics is in the process of getting a proper color match on the existing 2007 tungsten stripes. The standard 3M color is almost an exact match but Tony, the owner of the shop, is sending 3M a piece of my existing stripes to see if there is a perfect match. The stock color is soooo close that I had a hard time seeing a difference with the stock sample placed directly on top of the new hood stripes in direct sunlight. Since I have already waited a year on this I might as well wait some more to see if 3M has a perfect match.

Does anyone want to see so pics of the bad stripe job?

MSB Mustang / Mark

• 11 months later...

Hi Everyone,

The stripes I got are not an exact match but it is nearly impossible to tell the difference unless you look really, really closely. I ask people all the time if they can tell and no one yet has been able to until I show them how to look at them.

On my 2007 GT500 the new material from 3M actually is a better match to the metal flake pattern in the Tungsten paint. The original stripes do not really look as good when you take a hard look...and the new stripe material is much cheaper. The best shop in the bay area to do this work is YAK Graphics. Talk to the owner Tony Iacobitti. Tell him "Mark The San Jose Sharks Fan" with the Tungsten Grey 2007 GT500 sent you. They are near the San Jose Arena (Sharks Home) and actually do graphics for the Sharks. They gave me an original Sharks logo for my rear window. Great People to deal with!!! They also have very good contacts at 3M...AND the cost will be much less than what the original stripes would cost.

The insurance company paid for the first set that were installed improperly... and cost a fortune! (Over 2K$ from Ford/Shelby as I recall.) And, yes they needed my vin to order the stripes. My great body shop (Grace Body Shop SSF) paid for the second set that YAK put on. We got the factory measurements and Tony at YAK cut the material from 3m to fit...Perfectly!

The stripes on the hood and bumper look better than the original stripes. Actually better centered. As soon as I get a new audio engineering job I will pay YAK to do the rest of the car as my rear bumper stripes are a bit chewed up now (135K miles!). it has been a year since YAK did the front bumper and hood stripes and they still look GREAT!

Clayton you will be very happy with the color of the stripes they can get from 3M. Again no one has been able to tell the difference AND I actually like them better matched up against the original Tungsten paint! PM me if you need more info.

MSB Mustang / Mark

Clayton,

Glad I could help for a change... instead of my normal "just receiving help from this forum".

Archived