TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Smog Test

idrathergolf

Just went to a couple of smog test stations and both would not do the test. So those of you with modified intake (CAI and Supercharger) and exhaust on a Mustang, where do you go to get it done? McGuirk has an 05 Mustang that passes so I just don't know why there is such a reaction by these smog test stations.

Just went to a couple of smog test stations and both would not do the test. So those of you with modified intake (CAI and Supercharger) and exhaust on a Mustang, where do you go to get it done? McGuirk has an 05 Mustang that passes so I just don't know why there is such a reaction by these smog test stations.

What area of CA are you in? Are you in a Enhanced county?

What year is your car and exactly what mods do you have on it? Are your mods 50-state street legal (i.e. w/EO# lables)?

Hit me up privately if you're reluctant to post info. here <phill.pollard@comcast.net>

Phill (retired Smog Check mechanic and Certified Smog Instructor with BAR)

What year is your car and exactly what mods do you have on it? Are your mods 50-state street legal (i.e. w/EO# lables)?

Hit me up privately if you're reluctant to post info. here <phill.pollard@comcast.net>

Has 3" JBA exhaust with hi-flow cats, Ford Racing TVS, and CAI. I found a station in Fremont, CA that looked at it. The guy does drag racing so he has no problem with the car. In fact, it passed visual, but did not pass when checking the gases. He is guessing that the hi-flow cats are not doing their job anymore, which may be true. If the 2013 GT500's have the TVS and CAI and have not problem passing smog then I know it has to be my tune and hi-flow cats. I push the car hard on the track so those hi-flow cats may just be worn out. I am going to have to get a new tune to pass smog though as it failed miserably on the gases and putting in new cats is not going to fix the high emissions.

Has 3" JBA exhaust with hi-flow cats, Ford Racing TVS, and CAI.

Do you have a Ford Racing tune (remap) in the PCM or a aftermarket tune?

You can have a perfectly legal SC (see the list that Tourch40 gave you) and if you don't have the required tune, as outlined in the PDF with the SC, it's NOT smog legal.

Do you know what your tail pipe readings were?

CAT's are usually real easy to determine. If the HC's & CO's are way higher than a normally good running vehicle without cats, it's not the CAT that's the problem. If they are in the (UP TO) 200-250ppm (HC) and 2.5% (CO) range, the CAT's are probably bad.

High CO is caused by a rich mixture.

Low CO is caused by a lean mixture.

High HC is caused by engine misfires and/or advanced timing.

High HC's with low CO indicates a lean misfire.

High HC & CO says rich and/or advanced timing.

Hydrocarbon/HC = UNBURNED fuel

Carbon Monoxide/CO = PARTIALLY BURNED fuel.

O2 and CO2 readings would be helpful too (they can tell you more using them with the HC/CO readings).

Phill

You can have a perfectly legal SC (see the list that Tourch40 gave you) and if you don't have the required tune, as outlined in the PDF with the SC, it's NOT smog legal.

CAT's are usually real easy to determine. If the HC's & CO's are way higher than a normally good running vehicle without cats, it's not the CAT that's the problem. If they are in the (UP TO) 200-250ppm (HC) and 2.5% (CO) range, the CAT's are probably bad.

O2 and CO2 readings would be helpful too (they can tell you more using them with the HC/CO readings).

Phill

Good info to know--thanks.

Phill

High HC and CO readings. I have an aftermarket tune so I know that is the problem. If Torch 40 can pass with his setup I should be able to as well; just need the right tune. Once I'll get the HC and CO under control I am going to have to address the cats. Oxygen readings are too high so something is going on with that. I'd like to have the ability to have a catless system or bypass them for the track. I am going to look into this and make sure it can pass a visual if it is a bypass system.

Dana

1. High HC and CO readings.

2. If Torch 40 can pass with his setup I should be able to as well; just need the right tune.

3. Oxygen readings are too high so something is going on with that. I'd like to have the ability to have a catless system or bypass them for the track.

1. How high? Do you have a reading or remember the numbers?

2. If I read it right, Torch40 has the FRPP tune. He passes the VISUAL test because his parts have a EO# and he likely has a EO sticker affixed to his vehicle. Even with the EO# for the Supercharger, if you don't have the FRPP tune (it is PART of the package) you're not likely to pass.

3. High O2 readings can be caused by misfires too. The Oxygen (20.3% in the atmosphere) doesn't get burned in the combustion process so you get a abundance of O2 in the exh. A good running vehicle will put out about 1,5% O2 and 15-16% CO2. The higher the CO2 (an indication of combustion efficiency) the better the engine is running. Higher O2 levels can be from misfires (not burning the O2 in the process) or from too lean (too much Oxygen/not enough gasoline) OR too rich but either one will have High HC or CO (depending on rich or lean) to go along with it.

You have to read ALL of the 4/5 gasses together to use a tailpipe sample as a diagnostic tool (the 5th gas being NOx).

Phill

I saw on another forum where a guy had high HC readings and added 1/3 tank E85---it lowered his readings. He showed before and after print outs and the numbers were much lower---does this make sense? I have a DD with 285k miles and the HC levels were very close to failing 2 yrs ago, I am due next month. I am contiplating trying this, anyone ever tried this?

Phil,

How long does it take for the OBDII monitors to reset in these cars? My battery died so I slapped a new one in a few weeks ago and have maybe put about 20 miles on it since. Went to smog it last night, blew clean but none of the monitors were ready yet. I drove it to work today 65 miles each direction hoping that should suffice. Will take it back for a test this evening.

Thanks!

Phil,

How long does it take for the OBDII monitors to reset in these cars? My battery died so I slapped a new one in a few weeks ago and have maybe put about 20 miles on it since. Went to smog it last night, blew clean but none of the monitors were ready yet. I drove it to work today 65 miles each direction hoping that should suffice. Will take it back for a test this evening.

Thanks!

I have heard SO many different variations I'd be remiss to say with 100% certainty.

Early OBD and OBDII vehicles (well, at least Fords) would relearn in about 15 minutes....If you do it right (clear the adaptive strategy memory, reconnect batt., reach in and start the engine to allow it to relearn (sometimes called "Idle re-lean) without TOUCHING anything in the car.

I just saw someone yesterday or day before outline the proceedure and I could tell he knew what he was talking about. He's the FIRST person I've seen on this forum even mention adaptive strategy. He mentioned allow it to learn with AC off, then KOEO, then learn with AC on, etc. I was going to shout props out to him but got lost in the shuffle.

Hopefully he or she will chime in and give you some more 'up to date' information (I've been out of the busisness too long to give a 100% accurate answer). This person seemed to be up to date on his/her information.

I can't remember which thread it was or I'd point you to it. For the most part, I've heard WEEKS of regular driving. But that sounds more like setting the Short Term Fuel (STF) trim and Long Term Fuel (LTF) trim.

Phill

I have an FRPP 50 State legal blower, tune and an EO# sticker on my 06 Mustang GT. Not only did it pass visual, but also passed the test no problem.

I have an FRPP 50 State legal blower, tune and an EO# sticker on my 06 Mustang GT. Not only did it pass visual, but also passed the test no problem.

Yeah, that EO sticker carries a lot of weight.

There are three tests you are subject to;

1. Visual

2. Functional

3. Tailpipe (sample).

As a Smog Tech we were taught, if you see a mod and there's a EO sticker for it, it's good (visually).

You can pass every visual test there is...The tech can be blind for that matter. But you still have to pass the tailpipe sample test. The FRPP tune is 50-state legal and will (SHOULD) pass, provided there's nothing wrong with the car.

Phill

I have heard SO many different variations I'd be remiss to say with 100% certainty.

Early OBD and OBDII vehicles (well, at least Fords) would relearn in about 15 minutes....If you do it right (clear the adaptive strategy memory, reconnect batt., reach in and start the engine to allow it to relearn (sometimes called "Idle re-lean) without TOUCHING anything in the car.

I just saw someone yesterday or day before outline the proceedure and I could tell he knew what he was talking about. He's the FIRST person I've seen on this forum even mention adaptive strategy. He mentioned allow it to learn with AC off, then KOEO, then learn with AC on, etc. I was going to shout props out to him but got lost in the shuffle.

Hopefully he or she will chime in and give you some more 'up to date' information (I've been out of the busisness too long to give a 100% accurate answer). This person seemed to be up to date on his/her information.

I can't remember which thread it was or I'd point you to it. For the most part, I've heard WEEKS of regular driving. But that sounds more like setting the Short Term Fuel (STF) trim and Long Term Fuel (LTF) trim.

Phill

Thanks for the info. His handheld OBDII scanner which shows the readiness of the monitors showed them all Not Ready prior to the test, but he was unsure if it would even work on the 07 properly.

I'll head back tonight and that handheld might tell a different story this time around.

edit: Evap and EGR cleared, O2 O2 heater and Cat did not. Time to go drive it some more.

When I smogged mine earlier last month, I reinstalled the factory tune and drove it for like 65 miles before my scanguage read the computer was ready. I was told that 50 miles had to be put on the car, so I drove around and kept trying to get a reading and the guage kept saying system not ready. I pulled into the parking lot of my friend's shop which is next to the smog place and checked one last time, and it said the computer was ready.

I presented the EO sticker and the car passed everything with flying colors, so I reloaded my John Lund tune a drove home a happy camper and $40 lighter in the wallet!!!

Dan

When I smogged mine earlier last month, I reinstalled the factory tune and drove it for like 65 miles before my scanguage read the computer was ready. I was told that 50 miles had to be put on the car, so I drove around and kept trying to get a reading and the guage kept saying system not ready. I pulled into the parking lot of my friend's shop which is next to the smog place and checked one last time, and it said the computer was ready.

I presented the EO sticker and the car passed everything with flying colors, so I reloaded my John Lund tune a drove home a happy camper and $40 lighter in the wallet!!!

Dan

What scangauge were you using and what were the parameters you checked?

Thanks!

Archived